Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

44 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If Wyatt Langford were to be on the table from the Rangers could he possibly be the best available option and almost force Getz to take a lesser total/quantity package? 

Would you do- Wyatt Langford, Brock Porter, Josh Stephan and Echedry Vargas for Cease?

I would do Langford straight up for Cease

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If Wyatt Langford were to be on the table from the Rangers could he possibly be the best available option and almost force Getz to take a lesser total/quantity package? 

Would you do- Wyatt Langford, Brock Porter, Josh Stephan and Echedry Vargas for Cease?

I immediately rescind my Getz* comments if that happens.

Edit: Accidentally put Cease

56 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Langford is just what we should be looking for.  Major league ready but blocked.  The others look nice but to far away from the majors for my taste.

22 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I like that Getz is letting this play out.  Lot's of new GM's would want to pull the trigger and make a splash.  I have a good feeling about how this is going to work out.

It's not like trading Cease for minor league prospects is going to boost season ticket sales.

Zero reason not to  wait out the market exactly like Boras does on the player side.  Someone always blinks eventually.

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I doubt Texas would give up Langford. 

16 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I doubt Texas would give up Langford. 

They know they need to have a stable of younger players to offset all those 3 massive veteran contracts.

Just like the Astros managed to balance for so long.

Also the Rangers are one of the 3 teams currently being threatened with lower RSN rights fees...despite the WS title.  

This was one year ago coming off Cy Young runnerup lol...and three inexpensive years of control.

Texas Rangers

RECEIVE

SP Dylan Cease

RP Kendall Graveman

RP Joe Kelly

Chicago White Sox

RECEIVE

RHP Owen White

RHP Glenn Otto

IF Justin Foscue

OF Bubba Thompson

Edited by caulfield12

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It's not like trading Cease for minor league prospects is going to boost season ticket sales.

Zero reason not to  wait out the market exactly like Boras does on the player side.  Someone always blinks eventually.

When it's all said and done...I want to see a stud right fielder and another good major league infielder or pitcher.  The better they are...the less I care about the other two pieces.  Much rather have quality over quantity.

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

There’s no universe where Wyatt Langford is on the table. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

When it's all said and done...I want to see a stud right fielder and another good major league infielder or pitcher.  The better they are...the less I care about the other two pieces.  Much rather have quality over quantity.

Many fans are all excited about the "prospects" the White Sox will get if we trade Cease. Then I think about trading Chris Sale and we got Moncada and Kopech. I thought we got the best of this trade with Sales' health issues. Maybe we did get the better of the deal but Moncada / Kopech were a real mediocre return so far. The same Moncada who was a top 3 prospect

Then I think about Mookie Betts. Red Sox had to trade him and they received a package built around Verdugo. Betts is a stud and Vedugo is already heading off to another team.

We will move Cease and we will get a bounce of "prospects".  Lets hope this bunch turns out to be studs. But too often they are prospects who look great in the minors but never really turn into studs in Chicago. 

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

I like that Getz is letting this play out.  Lot's of new GM's would want to pull the trigger and make a splash.  I have a good feeling about how this is going to work out.

This is how low the expectations are for Getz. We're forced to make up tropes that don't actually exist to make ourselves feel better about having Getz. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lots of Snell to the Angels or Giants smoke.  To me, I really hope that he ends up with the Angels given they aren’t a player for Cease.  Regardless, hopefully he moves quick here and Cease becomes the focal point of the SP market.

Does it make sense to think that if the Angels are going after Snell that they are going after high quality pitchers so despite you not hearing that they are in on Cease they very well could be ?

Or maybe you think that they don't have the prospect capital needed to afford him ?

Once the talks about Cease really heat up we may be hearing about more teams involved that will make many wail and gnash their teeth because of lack of quality prospects expected .

I really hope for everyone's sake here that Baltimore and the Sox work it out.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Does it make sense to think that if the Angels are going after Snell that they are going after high quality pitchers so despite you not hearing that they are in on Cease they very well could be ?

Or maybe you think that they don't have the prospect capital needed to afford him ?

Once the talks about Cease really heat up we may be hearing about more teams involved that will make many wail and gnash their teeth because of lack of quality prospects expected .

This 

Edited by Bob Sacamano

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Angels system is cheeks

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Angels just don’t have much left…that Giolito trade was truly a disaster for them and cost them a big chunk of their prospect currency.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Snopek said:

At this rate it feels like we’re heading towards “Ok, once Brad Keller finally signs, the Cease talk will really start heating up.”

Honestly, Snell & Montgomery are the only TOR starters left and I think many clubs that can afford them will be against big dollars to either of them.

11 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Many fans are all excited about the "prospects" the White Sox will get if we trade Cease. Then I think about trading Chris Sale and we got Moncada and Kopech. I thought we got the best of this trade with Sales' health issues. Maybe we did get the better of the deal but Moncada / Kopech were a real mediocre return so far. The same Moncada who was a top 3 prospect

Then I think about Mookie Betts. Red Sox had to trade him and they received a package built around Verdugo. Betts is a stud and Vedugo is already heading off to another team.

We will move Cease and we will get a bounce of "prospects".  Lets hope this bunch turns out to be studs. But too often they are prospects who look great in the minors but never really turn into studs in Chicago. 

We are also reminded ,with the release of Luis Patino, that the Rays got 4 prospects from the Padres for Blake Snell headlined by a starting pitcher (Patino) and a catcher (Mejia).

Starting pitching and catching are volatile positions . I can't really blame anyone for wanting position player prospects especially LH power hitters who also provide fielding and baserunning value.

If your WAR if fully dependent on your pitching arm it's hard to make an impact.

A position player with speed and defense can accumulate WAR and contribute to wins even if the bat never fully develops. This is why you have to consider a high floor as well as a high ceiling. The larger the gap between floor and ceiling the bigger the chance for a boom or bust player.

Being a LH hitter gives you advantages in a sport where good hitting careers are often predicated on how well you hit RH pitching. It also gives you an advantage running since you are closer to 1st base to start .

Vaughn so far is a perfect example. He can't rack up fielding or baserunning WAR.

Despite being touted as a generational type hitter he  hasn't yet figured out how to hit or get on base against RHP.

In general all things being equal, it's just easier to do well against opposite handed pitchers . Conversely it's easier for RHP to get RHH out. As a hitter it's all about how well you see the ball and LHH get to see a lot more pitches that they can see well.

The Sox entire history of losing can be tied to many things and having the worst LH hitting among all the teams in baseball history is right there at the top of the list.

Was Moncada the only position player among the highly ranked prospects the Sox got in the 1st rebuild trades who hit LH ?

Didn't the Sox get a lot of SP also? The whole Eaton trade was Giolito, Dunning and Lopez. Sale got Kopech. Quintana brought Cease.

I'd like to see things handled differently this time. However with JR in charge and unwilling to pay for pitching maybe our GMs under him lately don't have much of a choice than to trade for pitching. JR also doesn't invest in scouting and development so drafting pitchers  didn't help out the rebuild either nor did his mandates regarding the international draft. So many failures led by Reinsdorf .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We are also reminded ,with the release of Luis Patino, that the Rays got 4 prospects from the Padres for Blake Snell headlined by a starting pitcher (Patino) and a catcher (Mejia).

Starting pitching and catching are volatile positions . I can't really blame anyone for wanting position player prospects especially LH power hitters who also provide fielding and baserunning value.

If your WAR if fully dependent on your pitching arm it's hard to make an impact.

A position player with speed and defense can accumulate WAR and contribute to wins even if the bat never fully develops. This is why you have to consider a high floor as well as a high ceiling. The larger the gap between floor and ceiling the bigger the chance for a boom or bust player.

Being a LH hitter gives you advantages in a sport where good hitting careers are often predicated on how well you hit RH pitching. It also gives you an advantage running since you are closer to 1st base to start .

Vaughn so far is a perfect example. He can't rack up fielding or baserunning WAR.

Despite being touted as a generational type hitter he  hasn't yet figured out how to hit or get on base against RHP.

In general all things being equal, it's just easier to do well against opposite handed pitchers . Conversely it's easier for RHP to get RHH out. As a hitter it's all about how well you see the ball and LHH get to see a lot more pitches that they can see well.

The Sox entire history of losing can be tied to many things and having the worst LH hitting among all the teams in baseball history is right there at the top of the list.

Was Moncada the only position player among the highly ranked prospects the Sox got in the 1st rebuild trades who hit LH ?

Didn't the Sox get a lot of SP also? The whole Eaton trade was Giolito, Dunning and Lopez. Sale got Kopech. Quintana brought Cease.

I'd like to see things handled differently this time. However with JR in charge and unwilling to pay for pitching maybe our GMs under him lately don't have much of a choice than to trade for pitching. JR also doesn't invest in scouting and development so drafting pitchers  didn't help out the rebuild either nor did his mandates regarding the international draft. So many failures led by Reinsdorf .

Can’t imagine where they would have been without Baines and Ventura...

Another thing the Sox never used to do was pay through the nose for relievers,,,going all the way back to Roberto Hernandez and Thigpen and Foulke..

Other than the KW Koch disaster, Linebrink/Dotel, Robertson and then Liam and Crew, we hardly ever had big money invested into bullpens until the Royals became the darlings of the sport.  And then that niche advantage was lost as nearly evrryone attempted to emulate KC.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic