Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

43 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Or it may not…. Don’t believe you guys can’t admit the price is sky high.

What everyone from your group doesn’t seem to grasp is that it may be be right now but that doesn't matter. 

There is no rush for a deal to be made right now so it doesn't hurt to try to push it. He can always give in when he feels the time is right. 

32 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Once a pitcher starts down the road of lower velo, I think time is not gonna help his value 

for reference, Edgar Quero is ranked 8 spots lower than Jones on MLB.com's top 100 list. Do you think 2 years of Cease is worth roughly the same as half a season of Giolito? Something tells me it isn't "self-sabotage" to want to get more in return for Cease than Giolito. If not, keep him. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fielder Jones said:

and to be a little fair, i will say...Quero was kind of a rare case where the Angels were over a barrel trying to impress Ohtani as a last ditch effort. Shohei's a revenue machine and the only way to keep him wouldve been a WS ring

Although the Halos paid a high price for those two, it wasn't out of line with what other teams were paying for pitching at the trade deadline last year. Giolito was outperforming Lynn, so he returned more than Lynn last year, for example. 

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

What everyone from your group doesn’t seem to grasp is that it may be be right now but that doesn't matter. 

There is no rush for a deal to be made right now so it doesn't hurt to try to push it. He can always give in when he feels the time is right. 

I’ve mentioned this before about Manny Machado. The Orioles dilly dallied around with dealing Manny and the return was disappointing by many on the Orioles board. Right now it’s two year so your right that there is time.

2 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

I’ve mentioned this before about Manny Machado. The Orioles dilly dallied around with dealing Manny and the return was disappointing by many on the Orioles board. Right now it’s two year so your right that there is time.

Position players don’t go for as much as pitching at the deadline.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Although the Halos paid a high price for those two, it wasn't out of line with what other teams were paying for pitching at the trade deadline last year. Giolito was outperforming Lynn, so he returned more than Lynn last year, for example. 

I actually wouldn't be shocked if, after all the dust settles, Nastrini + Leasure > Quero + Bush.  I love me some Quero, but it's not a super high ceiling and Bush has been pretty bad. Nastrini and Leasure will debut this year and Nastrini probably has the highest ceiling of the 4.  I get that the deal also contained Kelly, but that is a very good return for a guy leading the league in HR allowed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I actually wouldn't be shocked if, after all the dust settles, Nastrini + Leasure > Quero + Bush.  I love me some Quero, but it's not a super high ceiling and Bush has been pretty bad. Nastrini and Leasure will debut this year and Nastrini probably has the highest ceiling of the 4.  I get that the deal also contained Kelly, but that is a very good return for a guy leading the league in HR allowed.

I’d agree, but it also probably seems that way because both Nastrini and Leasure are much closer to the majors than Quero and Bush.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I loved that return for Lynn and Kelly.

13 hours ago, fathom said:

No one knows if the price is sky high.  If they’re asking for Jones or Hampton, that tells me they’re not being unrealistic.

It's not unrealistic.  I still think it's between the Yanks and Dodgers.  Don't believe their media mouthpieces.  They're both under a ton of pressure to win this year.  One of them will step up and make the deal happen.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's not unrealistic.  I still think it's between the Yanks and Dodgers.  Don't believe their media mouthpieces.  They're both under a ton of pressure to win this year.  One of them will step up and make the deal happen.  

Before the season? Or do you think one pulls the trigger in the summer?

I think I would prefer Hampton if it's either or with him and Jones. Fill in the rest of the package with Arias, and some combination of Lombard/Warren/Lalane and I'm good

God I hope something happens soon because I hate this thread.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think I would prefer Hampton if it's either or with him and Jones. Fill in the rest of the package with Arias, and some combination of Lombard/Warren/Lalane and I'm good

God I hope something happens soon because I hate this thread.

If it's either or, you don't do a deal with NYY, or if you do, you take Jones, have Warren as the second piece and insist on quality third AND fourth pieces. 

These are mid to back end Top 100 guys they both should be in the package. 

I want Lalane (high upside LHP) as the third piece and Vivas as the fourth piece (strongside platoon 2B).

If that means Warren instead of Hampton as the 2nd piece ok, but I want 4 quality pieces from NY and chief among them must be the left handed savage OF.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fathom said:

No one knows if the price is sky high.  If they’re asking for Jones or Hampton, that tells me they’re not being unrealistic.

They are asking for 2 top 100 prospects and 2 other highly rated organizational prospects. So I’m not sure how you are basing it on 2 guys.

Jim Duquette on XM Radio (2:15pm yesterday): Orioles have made an offer on Cease, it's a good one, but Elias' has been very disciplined on offers he has been putting out there, and it doesnt need to go up. Then Bowden agreed: "Yeah, it doesnt need to go up"

Maybe interesting if for nothing else just to see the messaging that gets put out there (by a show literally called "Front Office" that routinely pokes at Boras and hardline agents all the time, so it's very friendly to teams putting out messaging perhaps)

6 minutes ago, Fielder Jones said:

Jim Duquette on XM Radio (2:15pm yesterday): Orioles have made an offer on Cease, it's a good one, but Elias' has been very disciplined on offers he has been putting out there, and it doesnt need to go up. Then Bowden agreed: "Yeah, it doesnt need to go up"

Maybe interesting if for nothing else just to see the messaging that gets put out there (by a show literally called "Front Office" that routinely pokes at Boras and hardline agents all the time, so it's very friendly to teams putting out messaging perhaps)

If the headliner is Westburg then no it's not "a good one". LHS is priority one. 

If he has put Cowser/Kjerstad and Ortiz/Norby on the table that is a good offer and perhaps the reports earlier are true that we are just haggling over the third piece.

If BAL really does have a "good" offer on the table, this will pressure NYY to really make a "very good" offer....Cashman is on the hot seat.

18 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If the headliner is Westburg then no it's not "a good one". LHS is priority one. 

If he has put Cowser/Kjerstad and Ortiz/Norby on the table that is a good offer and perhaps the reports earlier are true that we are just haggling over the third piece.

If BAL really does have a "good" offer on the table, this will pressure NYY to really make a "very good" offer....Cashman is on the hot seat.

Definitely a good offer start.  But I personally would hate going the Kjerstad and Norby route and you add 2 guys who likely can't stick at their position.  Back to a team with poor D and versatility.  Which I'd like to avoid. I'm fine with one or the other, but both is a little questionable..

41 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think they can make a really good deal with Westburg headlining 

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That’s not even an unreasonable ask. 

Yes it is. Westburg is valuable. People are underrating him because he's graduated from prospect lists 

• Like 5

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic