Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

IMO if the Sox have targeted Jones and believe he will provide legit LH savagery plus a good glove in the OF, we shouldn't settle.

NYY is in no position to dictate terms if they are already seeking "second opinions".

Get the savage we want

I’m with you…hate rooting for injury, but if they lose Cole for the season they are legit fucked and Cashman’s tenure in New York is at risk.  You don’t hold up a Cease trade over one savage.  Just got to see how this injury plays out, but Getz could find himself in a very nice spot, especially if Steinbrenner does not want the tax bill that comes with a Snell signing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also this line for those underwhelmed with a theoretical Arias/Hampton led package:

Not sure why we don't see more trades like the NHL in MLB, taking on dead money to help with the salary cap most teams follow. Doubt Jerry would do this, but not sure why other ownership groups don't.

Yankees could really use someone to take Rizzo and or Stanton's deal off their books for prospects. Teams pay the CBT on the money they pay, so it's just a matter of prospect worth for each $10M eaten.

Stanton's contract as not as bad in 2026 ($19M net) and 2027 ($15M net) with Miami's payments including the entire 2028 buyout. The $32M this and next year really stings for his likely production level.

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure why we don't see more trades like the NHL in MLB, taking on dead money to help with the salary cap most teams follow. Doubt Jerry would do this, but not sure why other ownership groups don't.

Maybe there's a lot of resentment over owners who break the bank to sign a FA. The other 29 think "choke on that one, dude", when it's time to move them to get competitive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m with you…hate rooting for injury, but if they lose Cole for the season they are legit fucked and Cashman’s tenure in New York is at risk.  You don’t hold up a Cease trade over one savage.  Just got to see how this injury plays out, but Getz could find himself in a very nice spot, especially if Steinbrenner does not want the tax bill that comes with a Snell signing.

I think part of the equation is that Getz kind of needs the payoff to be semi-immediate (24 or 25) otherwise he risks getting assets for his successor. If Arias ETA is like 27, it doesnt really help him with job security, esp if there's a new owner before then.

He needs the optics of a shiny new mega savage hitting bombs out of GRF for his resume.

These are ofcourse supposed to be illegitimate considerations in the abstract, but we all know they are present in the political calculus and will make it harder for the FO to accept an Arias/Hampton package. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think part of the equation is that Getz kind of needs the payoff to be semi-immediate (24 or 25) otherwise he risks getting assets for his successor. If Arias ETA is like 27, it doesnt really help him with job security, esp if there's a new owner before then.

He needs the optics of a shiny new mega savage hitting bombs out of GRF for his resume.

These are ofcourse supposed to be illegitimate considerations in the abstract, but we all know they are present in the political calculus and will make it harder for the FO to accept an Arias/Hampton package. 

Because if there’s any job in the world where you’re expected to have success and be evaluated based on that success…it’s GM of the White Sox?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because if there’s any job in the world where you’re expected to have success and be evaluated based on that success…it’s GM of the White Sox?

Lol was thinking the same. It’s such a cushiony job he has it for the next decade if he wants it.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Lol was thinking the same. It’s such a cushiony job he has it for the next decade if he wants it.

I mean, there's one thing that could make it less than a decade, but hard to schedule that.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

His motivations might be influenced by a desire to appease his boss with a more immediate short term impact, but it’s silly to think his job is at all in jeopardy. Unless there are plans to sell the franchise within the next 5, Getz’ job is probably pretty safe. 

And here we are again.

I think you absolutely can make a solid package without Jones. Arias/Lalane/Hampton are some fine pieces. But then again I'm risk averse and terrified of Cease somehow tanking his value.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

And here we are again.

I think you absolutely can make a solid package without Jones. Arias/Lalane/Hampton are some fine pieces. But then again I'm risk averse and terrified of Cease somehow tanking his value.

I agree with you. I guess the it's no big deal news that was coming out about Gerrit Cole isn't exactly no bid deal. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, there's one thing that could make it less than a decade, but hard to schedule that.

Yeah but that's the scenario at issue. He knows he doesn't have forever because JR could go at any time, so he does need immediate or close to immediate returns on his trades so he can burnish his rep for the next owner or if they are gonna clean house either way, then he needs some positive results to get another job.

I just don't see him taking a main piece that won't see the league for like 3 years. Secondary pieces that are high upside but far away (Lalane)...sure...main ones no.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

And here we are again.

If you aren't going to make it up with quality, you need to make it up with quantity.  I have no problem with that either as the Sox need both.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

And here we are again.

Ofcourse they aren't going to fold immediately. 

NYY is clearly worried and will wait till the very last second before opening day before caving. 

And I don't believe he hasn't had an MRI yet until now. I believe there must be an MRI already showing a tear because they are already talking about second opinions and they are trying to stretch it out to buy time to figure out what to do.

Wait them out. It's only another couple weeks we've been waiting for months already.

Ofcourse it would help to know what their enhanced offer is too.

@Pal

Edited by SoCalChiSox

29 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

And here we are again.

I’d prefer Arias over Jones. There is easily a packed without Jones they could figure out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah but that's the scenario at issue. He knows he doesn't have forever because JR could go at any time, so he does need immediate or close to immediate returns on his trades so he can burnish his rep for the next owner or if they are gonna clean house either way, then he needs some positive results to get another job.

I just don't see him taking a main piece that won't see the league for like 3 years. Secondary pieces that are high upside but far away (Lalane)...sure...main ones no.

Eh, if this offseason tells me anything, it's one of two things:

a. He really believes he's built a good team out of defenders and former Royals, and will be stunned by the results in April, or

b. He is willing to think long term and not make Hahn-like decisions that do damage to the organization long term.

This sure looks like the offseason of someone who is willing to think long-term. He didn't rush a Cease trade for the MLB-ready pieces that Milwaukee brought back, he didn't trade away many of the key guys who might take until 2026 to even arrive (Quero, Schultz both could have been that), he didn't waste very much on win-now money. Contrasting this with Hahn's 2023 offseason with the Benintendi signing (ugh), the Clevinger signing (UGH), bringing back Andrus (Sigh), and there's a clear difference. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Thats great....it will put more pressure on Cashman to either:

A) Get serious and give us what we want OR

B) Get fucked.

We've got his dick in a blender with Getz index finger on the start button.

f*** around and find out, Brian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Not sure how to read this. Is he comparing the current Yankees offer to past offers from other teams? Or does this read as Getz is soliciting a bunch of current offers from other teams that trump this new Yankees proposal?

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Not sure how to read this. Is he comparing the current Yankees offer to past offers from other teams? Or does this read as Getz is soliciting a bunch of current offers from other teams that trump this new Yankees proposal?

I read it as multiple teams?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The Yankees probably put in a polite call to see if the Spring results had dramatically dropped the price on Cease, but aren’t going to pay a high price for him based on this. The likely scenario is that this loss is a huge problem for them and trying to barely patch it with Cease isn’t getting them anywhere.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic