Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Pauley and Rosario aren't even likely to be the equivalent of Nicky Ortiz.

Both are relative long shots. Batten as well.

Understood. Point being, dude backs into guess-timating a package that has one of their top 3 pitching prospects, one of their top OF prospects, their 2nd round RHP pick from 2022, and potential utility infielder filler. 

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At some point soon, the Sox will have money to spend.  The main challenge will be signing stars and impact SP under Jerry.  Even mercenary SP will likely be too rich for Jerry’s blood from a risk standpoint.  As such, frontline pitching more or less needs to be developed (or traded for a la Lynn).  I have no problem getting back a pitching prospect with a TOR ceiling for Cease, but would hate for a package of multiple mid-rotation types.  Let’s swing for the fences in terms of ceiling with a Cease trade and use our money to add good (not great) players.

The odds are fair that by the time the Sox could be decent again, that current ownership is no longer in the picture.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't suggest anybody listen to this. I did while working late last night. It's interesting listening to idiot fanbois from other teams gush over Dylan Cease. One dope thinks Cease won a Cy Young, and the main guy literally had to look up the word "droves" to understand the volume of White Sox scouts watching the Rangers that day. 

But I think it's a respectful take, not the "I'd maybe trade Anthony Rizzo straight up, but nothing more" level of disdain. 

They kind of gush over Jack Leiter, and compare him to Thorpe (#5), Snelling (#3) and Lesko (#4). The guy who believes Cease won a Cy Young compares Brock Porter to the level of prospect that Graham Pauly (#11) or Eguy Rosario (#16) are. They come up with a "similar" package of one of (thorpe, snelling, lesko), one of (pauly, rosario), Sam Zavala (#7) and maybe Adam Mazur (#10). The numbers are MLB's Padres' system rankings. 

I don't endorse. Just thought it was interesting to get bro-dude Padre-fan take on what they think Cease would cost them. They get into talking about a possible trade after 11:00.

I do like Mazur and Zavala as a 3rd, but man there's no #2 piece there.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The odds are fair that by the time the Sox could be decent again, that current ownership is no longer in the picture.

I'd say current ownership would have to be no longer in the picture for them to be decent again, unless they get really lucky.

34 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Understood. Point being, dude backs into guess-timating a package that has one of their top 3 pitching prospects, one of their top OF prospects, their 2nd round RHP pick from 2022, and potential utility infielder filler. 

Marsee and Head would be the two top outfielders at the moment...

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Dum dum dum dummmmmm.  So basically, he could be out for the season if he ends up requiring surgery after the appointment.

Yeah, it sounds like they are shutting him down and trying the rest & rehab approach hoping to stave off surgery. Time to pony up Cashman.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Dum dum dum dummmmmm.  So basically, he could be out for the season if he ends up requiring surgery after the appointment.

Jimmy Lambert and Cole like two ships passing in the night...same doctor.

Let's not forget all the variables with Rodon and Nestor Cortes coming off injuries as well...Rodon recently struggling to ramp his FB velo back up again in ST.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I do like Mazur and Zavala as a 3rd, but man there's no #2 piece there.

How can the #5/6 system in baseball not have one?

Then it would have to be some combo of Marsee Head DeVrieze.

There's only two untradeables in Merrill and Salas.

Unfortunately Padres can't absorb deals for Benintendi Jimenez and Moncada...well, that's more for JR's pocketbook sake I guess.

If SD could eat half the Benintendi deal...for example.  Of course, that would limit the prospect return while simultaneously being classic JR "screw the fans."

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

How can the #5/6 system in baseball not have one?

Then it would have to be some combo of Marsee Head DeVrieze.

There's only two untradeables in Merrill and Salas.

Unfortunately Padres can't absorb deals for Benintendi Jimenez and Moncada...well, that's more for JR's pocketbook sake I guess.

If SD could eat half the Benintendi deal...for example.  Of course, that would limit the prospect return while simultaneously being classic JR "screw the fans."

Head nor Marsee is a #2 peice in a Cease deal..

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

lol the ole rest and rehab of a partially torn UCL huh. Dr Andrew’s will be seeing you in July, Gerrit

His next visit is to Mr Miyagi. 

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

lol the ole rest and rehab of a partially torn UCL huh. Dr Andrew’s will be seeing you in July, Gerrit

i think it sort of worked with Tanaka, but even then, he wasn't what he was supposed to be. Other than that, has the rest and rehab ever worked?

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

i think it sort of worked with Tanaka, but even then, he wasn't what he was supposed to be. Other than that, has the rest and rehab ever worked?

It seems Tanaka and to an extent Liam are the only guys that really got away with it for a long period of time 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic