Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

The General Manager talking to the player about potential rumors is certainly significant. But I'm not sure. Let's bring Balta the arbiter of truth in to get a read on all of this. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That, and Grifol went from "Cease is my OD starter" a few weeks ago to "How the heck am I supposed to know if he's going to be on the OD roster" yesterday  --- it doesn't take a whole lot of deduction to think something has some legs. 

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I thought it was close because Cease even admitted in his postgame interview that Grifol talked to him about the recent trade rumors.

There’s absolutely fire here with the smoke… I’m just saying with our luck Getz will keep milking this like Boras. 😆

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That, and Grifol went from "Cease is my OD starter" a few weeks ago to "How the heck am I supposed to know if he's going to be on the OD roster" yesterday  --- it doesn't take a whole lot of deduction to think something has some legs. 

At the end of the day I think Getz has had his "if you want him today, this is my price" price out there for a while.  If we are getting this going again, I think teams are moving into Getz's "today" neighborhood enough that it is worth listening too.  This could well have been a case where guys were trying to see if he would fold early, or if he would hold up.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

TAMPA, Fla. -- Yankees ace Gerrit Cole is expected to miss at least a month of the regular season with a right elbow injury, though no tear in the hurler’s ulnar collateral ligament has been detected, according to a report on Tuesday by MLB Network insider Jon Heyman.

A source confirmed to MLB.com that Cole has been scheduled to travel to Los Angeles for an in-person visit with noted sports orthopedist Dr. Neal ElAttrache, as first reported by the New York Post. The club has not confirmed the news.

A unanimous winner of last year's AL Cy Young Award, Cole underwent an MRI exam on Monday after relaying that he has had difficulty bouncing back between outings. He likened his level of fatigue to what he usually would feel after throwing 100 pitches during the regular season.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At the end of the day I think Getz has had his "if you want him today, this is my price" price out there for a while.  If we are getting this going again, I think teams are moving into Getz's "today" neighborhood enough that it is worth listening too.  This could well have been a case where guys were trying to see if he would fold early, or if he would hold up.

I just think there were too many questions about Cease for teams to give Getz his price without seeing Cease pitch again. The more they see, the more they may  be willing to give up assuming Cease is back to himself again. That's why we still may be a couple weeks early.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is the only time I've really felt like something might have traction. I don't really get too invested in thinking it's 100% going down just because we see the teams are talking until I see it is actually happening.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Yankees probably put in calls to both Boras and the White Sox and anyone else who might be selling a pitcher as Due Diligence - seeing if any of them have dropped their price is a reasonable move.

The message then gets sent out, probably by Getz - "We've re-engaged with the Yankees" to the insiders, even though if nothing is happening it's probably true that they talked. For the White Sox, they again may put a little pressure on other teams to try to drive the market.

In reality, the other teams are wanting to see where they are during the season and where Cease is during the season, and the Yankees aren't yet desperate enough to try to make an all-in move. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Yankees probably put in calls to both Boras and the White Sox and anyone else who might be selling a pitcher as Due Diligence - seeing if any of them have dropped their price is a reasonable move.

The message then gets sent out, probably by Getz - "We've re-engaged with the Yankees" to the insiders, even though if nothing is happening it's probably true that they talked. For the White Sox, they again may put a little pressure on other teams to try to drive the market.

In reality, the other teams are wanting to see where they are during the season and where Cease is during the season, and the Yankees aren't yet desperate enough to try to make an all-in move. 

Yet it wasn't just the Yankees that fell out of the rumor tree.  That sure doesn't seem like "waiting" to me.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet it wasn't just the Yankees that fell out of the rumor tree.  That sure doesn't seem like "waiting" to me.

There is a clear benefit to the White Sox in trying to sell the Yankees on the idea that other teams are interested and putting in new bids, to encourage the Yankees to raise an offer they've been unwilling to improve. 

We have been watching this the whole offseason, it's a vicious combination of people with similar motivations and no accountability. The White Sox want to make it sound like there is interest in him, insiders know there are no consequences if they're wrong and they get lots of clicks when they can talk about a trade market involving the Yankees, the White Sox know there are no consequences if they exaggerate a little bit in a way that might help them because the insider will push the same story again 2 months later.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is a clear benefit to the White Sox in trying to sell the Yankees on the idea that other teams are interested and putting in new bids, to encourage the Yankees to raise an offer they've been unwilling to improve. 

We have been watching this the whole offseason, it's a vicious combination of people with similar motivations and no accountability. The White Sox want to make it sound like there is interest in him, insiders know there are no consequences if they're wrong and they get lots of clicks when they can talk about a trade market involving the Yankees, the White Sox know there are no consequences if they exaggerate a little bit in a way that might help them because the insider will push the same story again 2 months later.

Cool.  You are probably wasting your time in this thread then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Cool.  You are probably wasting your time in this thread then.

And yet people tagged me in this thread last night because they needed to brag about the clear and unambiguous fact that things were going to happen.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I dont think there's any dispute that there's a market. The question is, is the market in the low 40m SV range, or does the pitching premium and/or Cole situation push it into the 50s.

We saw about a 10% premium with the Burnes situation (33m value...they paid 36m). Similar premium would make this trade be around 46m...perhaps a bit more if it's NYY. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet people tagged me in this thread last night because they needed to brag about the clear and unambiguous fact that things were going to happen.

Mostly because you have been yelling at them for months.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I dont think there's any dispute that there's a market. The question is, is the market in the low 40m SV range, or does the pitching premium and/or Cole situation push it into the 50s.

We saw about a 10% premium with the Burnes situation (33m value...they paid 36m). Similar premium would make this trade be around 46m...perhaps a bit more if it's NYY. 

All along I've said that Getz is going to want that higher value price and teams aren't going to pay that price until they see Cease in April. That continues to be the obvious version of how this has gone, no matter how many times people try to push different things through the media. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Things are going to happen soon whether you like it or not unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Soon as in "the 2024 season?" Sure. 

Before opening day bro.  I’m even more confident about this one than I was about Gioito commanding a top 100 prospect at the deadline and Santos being tradable despite coming off a season-ending injury.  It will happen soon.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Plus why are you looking into Lorenzen if nothing is "in the ballpark"..

Unless Getz is so damn crafty, he made the call, knowing the agent would contact his mouthpiece in the press, and get the whole league in a tizzy. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone could have reasonably predicted that both Snell and Montgomery would stay on the market this long, but given that DID happen, it isn't surprising at all that a Cease trade didn't come together before now. Both Boras and the White Sox are trying to maximize their value, and the teams that need pitching have been waiting for one or the other to blink. The warts with the Boras guys' peripherals are obvious to even casual fans at this point, and Getz is demanding top dollar because he has so few pieces to spur this rebuild. 

I think Getz has been wise to hold, and I'm impressed with his poker so far. We'll see what the return is, of course, but giving in to a lowball because of the presence of Snell/Montgomery on the market would have been a bad move no matter what, even granting that holding for the deadline wasn't ideal.

All that said, the return is likely not going to be what we've all been dreaming of lol.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic