Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I said this months ago. If the Sox trade robert next winter, there’s a very real possibility they have 8 top 100 mlb prospects after that trade is completed. They now have 4 with several fringe top 100 guys like Ramos, zavala, Iriarte, quero. They’ll add a 5th in the draft and Robert should return at least 2 if he has another big year.

As long as they draft a college player with higher ceiling and plus tools for a change...doubt they will go against past form and take one of the 2-3 prep position prospects that will be under consideration just months from now.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Iriarte with lowest floor and highest ceiling ... lots sleeping on him.

It looks like he was already pitching out of the bullpen in the minors last year, so I think it's safe calling him a reliever for now. 

There's promise here, if any of these guys break out then this looks like a great deal, but this is definitely not what people were demanding a month or two ago. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Who cares? 

Huh? Odd question. I think having 10-12 top prospects for this next rebuild is a must. Last rebuild was loaded at the top but had very little depth and we saw how that played out. This group has a chance to be much deeper even if it’s not as “strong” at the top.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I said this months ago. If the Sox trade robert next winter, there’s a very real possibility they have 8 top 100 mlb prospects after that trade is completed. They now have 4 with several fringe top 100 guys like Ramos, zavala, Iriarte, quero. They’ll add a 5th in the draft and Robert should return at least 2 if he has another big year.

Not interested. 

• Like 1

Thorpe led minor league starters in swinging strike rate last season so I think I'll wait to see somebody actually hit him before I freak out about poorly sourced reports on his current velocity.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Put me in team Meh.  With out a top 20 headliner, you need all three of these guys to come near their potential to make this worth while.

Yeah, I liked it when I thought Dillion Head was in it. Feels one guy light to me. That said...

43 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I like the deal plenty. Thorpe is just about a top 50 prospect, Zavala has a great profile, and I like what I'm reading about Iciarte. I could see him making a big jump. This is a pretty significant injection into the farm system. Let's see what we can do with them.

It does sound like Iriarte has helium, and may actually belong in the tier with the other three pitchers very soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep, needed Lesko or Snelling

Your earlier comp of Hendricks is pretty spot on. I have no issues with that honestly. Those guys are rare, but pretty reliable. Elite command, two plus secondaries, good sequencing. He's not going to get you a 7 war Cy season but he's a 2.5-4 WAR guy for a few years.

• Like 2

Iriarte made a few relief appearances right after he was promoted last year and finished the season how he began, as a starter. I suspect the relief appearances were more about load management than anything else.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Eh. I think the return falls between what they were saying and what most of us were expecting. Neither can really dunk on the other over the outcome. 

Nah.   This is on balance relatively weak.

Snelling should be the headliner. Zavala is interesting and very advanced for age. Wish he had more power projection.

I wouldn't say Preller destroyed Getz, but he did, at a minimum, give him a bad cold.

Either way, I think @Balta1701 and @baseball_gal_aly are basically right on balance.

Sad but true. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Hawk 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not interested in trading Robert? I don’t see much of a choice here. It’s not like they’ll extend him after his contract concludes unless he has a TA style precipitous falloff.

I find it interesting that they brought back a young CF in this deal. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It looks like he was already pitching out of the bullpen in the minors last year, so I think it's safe calling him a reliever for now. 

There's promise here, if any of these guys break out then this looks like a great deal, but this is definitely not what people were demanding a month or two ago. 

From what I’ve read, he was moved to the pen because the Friars thought they might need him in the mlb pen last fall. 

Not crazy about 2 RHP being big pieces of the deal, but it was inevitable that the move was made. I like Zavala a lot, but would have rather had De Vries or Head over Iriarte

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Orioles equivalent package would have been something like Kjerstad + Norby + Beavers. But I like this package better. I said early on I wanted young prospects with high upside even if it meant they were riskier. That’s exactly what this is. Would I have liked a better 4th piece than a 29 year old RP? Sure. But I think it’s a fair deal for both sides.

I think you are overall correct on everything you said here. 

I agree that it’s fair….but that was always the point. The expectation many on here was “unfair” and that is what we kept trying to tell you.  This came reflected what Cease has been for most of his career, outside of 2022 and that is what we always said the value was going to be.

7 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

OTOH, if  equivalent prospects like Moncada and Kopech were in the return, we would have been thrilled. You never know I guess. Sorry, just trying to cope.

I will go to my grave believing that a different, competent org takes a core of TA, Abreu, Robert, Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, ReyLo, Dunning, Eloy, Cease and Rodon (I know he was mostly rehabbing, but boy did he have a great single year) and actually does something with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not interested in trading Robert? I don’t see much of a choice here. It’s not like they’ll extend him after his contract concludes unless he has a TA style precipitous falloff.

He is a superstar controlled for 4 more seasons. We’re at least 2 years away from being able to get enough in return for moving Robert to make a lick of sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this trade. Thorpe is good, they don’t trade for Iriarte if they view him as a reliever so they like something there and that’s an electric arm. Zavala, I think that dude will get into the top 100 here in the future. 

Slam dunk to me for 2 years of Cease coming off a down year compared to 2022. This is far better than the crap floated around earlier and what Burnes went for. Easy. 

• Like 3

Who would rather have Duran Porter Leiter?

It's not like Texas was going to deal one of their two most coveted Young outfielders unless Cease was leading the AL Cy Young race at the halfway mark of the season...maybe not even then for Langford.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic