Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs

caulfield12

Morosi is reporting that Ohtani's decision is imminent and possibly today.  There's been a lot of smoke around Toronto recently, but I still think the Dodgers have the upper hand.  If, however, he does sign with Toronto, that's going to put a lot of pressure on Baltimore to get better.  Could push up the return on a potential Cease trade.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Morosi is reporting that Ohtani's decision is imminent and possibly today.  There's been a lot of smoke around Toronto recently, but I still think the Dodgers have the upper hand.  If, however, he does sign with Toronto, that's going to put a lot of pressure on Baltimore to get better.  Could push up the return on a potential Cease trade.

I think he will stay west coast

On 11/16/2023 at 12:36 PM, caulfield12 said:

Also have a feeling he would have just a bit more anonymity there in Pacific NW.  Recent socio-cultural trends though in Portland and Seattle might not be to his personal liking.   Seems to be a bit more conservative/traditional in terms of his personality…

How does Toronto fit in with this?

Weather sucks worse than Chicago (realize there is a dome, but you still spend the half the season there).

Beyond getting the highest offer and paying a lower tax rate than playing in California, are there any other reported reasons why he would find Toronto attractive?

Only thing I can think of is if they include a skydome suite since Lucas said Ohtani sleeps 14 hours a day, so he will never have to step foot outside unless it’s nice enough weather for the dome to be open.

And the home of the slaves…..

46.2% Canada = 33% Fed + 13.2% Ont

50.3% California 37% Fed +13.3% Cal

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

How does Toronto fit in with this?

Weather sucks worse than Chicago (realize there is a dome, but you still spend the half the season there).

Beyond getting the highest offer and paying a lower tax rate than playing in California, are there any other reported reasons why he would find Toronto attractive?

Only thing I can think of is if they include a skydome suite since Lucas said Ohtani sleeps 14 hours a day, so he will never have to step foot outside unless it’s nice enough weather for the dome to be open.

And the home of the slaves…..

46.2% Canada = 33% Fed + 13.2% Ont

50.3% California 37% Fed +13.3% Cal

Poutine fucking slaps.

But also Toronto has the big purse in MLB.

1 minute ago, Colome's Hat said:

Toronto has also respected his privacy.  It was borderline suicidal for the Cubs and Dodgers to get as public as they did about their negotiations.  

It will be hilarious if the Dodgers fire David Roberts for Ohtani signing elsewhere, after all those years of a majority of fans wanting him gone and the team sticking with him.

He would be a convenient scapegoat.

Alot of Blue Jays smoke.

Will Middlebrooks had a tweet that he has since deleted. I screenshotted it but can't post it here for some reason but it reads this.

"I was today years old when I found out Ohtani and Kikuchi are close friends that played high school ball together in Iwate, Japan. There's your Toronto connection."

Even Max Domi, a hockey player, just posted this.

Edited by SoxAce

I think it has come down to who will guarantee him the most without putting in kickers about his availability to pitch.

Then there is, who owns the Blue Jays......Roges Communications.  This is bigger then the baseball card. 

I wonder if they agree to play a series or two or three a year in Japan for him or begin games at 9:00 at night in Toronto to be on at 11 in the morning in Japan. 

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Ohtani in Toronto sounds great! I love when it's not just the usual suspects signing the mega-stars. I can get down with this.

But also, it means a certain team in Balitmore needs to bolster its rotation:

Dylan Cease has a record of 1-0 with an ERA of 0.69 and 18 strikeouts in 2 appearances against the Blue Jays in his career.

(ignore his numbers against Ohtani)

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Ohtani Watch: Private flights to Toronto are being monitored
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs