Eloy Trade Rumor Thread

SoxAce

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

"Tracy" Lourdes Gurriel signs with Arizona for 3/42. Opt out after 1 year, $14m team option in 4 year. 

I would think this makes Eloy look expensive at $13 mil and a $3 mil buyout. 

We would be lucky to get similar numbers from Eloy in 2024. Hard to imagine a team gives up much for him in trade this winter. 

38 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

"Tracy" Lourdes Gurriel signs with Arizona for 3/42. Opt out after 1 year, $14m team option in 4 year. 

Man, that’s pretty cheap. I thought he’d do better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Keeping Eloy is the smart thing to do IMO.  Protection for Robert is a real thing.

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I'd rather keep him and hope he puts a good season together and move him at the deadline than trade him for a bag of heavily used baseballs.

• Like 2

Counterpoint (after several posts to the contrary):

Eloy is a rare talent...a monster at the plate.  If he is removed from the middle of the WSox order you probably cede this season, and  the next few to a rebuild and at the same time you diminish the prime years of Robert Jr.. Whenever you bring in a new player,  you don't know what you will get and how he might fit in. Eloy is an asset in the clubhouse (including with Robert ) and with most of the fan base..  It  is always exciting to see the big man with red gloves come up to bat at key moments of the game, including against the cubs.  Sox traded Burger. Trading Eloy would be even more short-sighted and foolish. Now if you just don't like the guy, OK, keep trying to suggest trades that involve him and maybe one will get it done.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, tray said:

Eloy is a rare talent...a monster at the plate.  If he is removed from the middle of the WSox order you probably cede this season, and  the next few to a rebuild and at the same time you diminish the prime years of Robert Jr.. Whenever you bring in a new player,  you don't know what you will get and how he might fit in. Eloy is an asset in the clubhouse (including with Robert ) and with most of the fan base..  It  is always exciting to see the big man with red gloves come up to bat at key moments of the game, including against the cubs.  Sox traded Burger. Trading Eloy would be even more short-sighted and foolish. Now if you just don't like the guy, OK, keep trying to suggest trades that involve him and maybe one will get it done.

The 2024 season was already ceded months ago...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tray said:

The only way this franchise doesn't cede this season is if every other team in the division/league forfeits.

That's not going to happen and the Sox aren't going to be anywhere close to worth a damn in 2024 whether Eloy is around or not. If a good offer comes along ship his lazy, injury-prone ass out the door.

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The only way this franchise doesn't cede this season is if every other team in the division/league forfeits.

That's not going to happen and the Sox aren't going to be anywhere close to worth a damn in 2024 whether Eloy is around or not. If a good offer comes along ship his lazy, injury-prone ass out the door.

It would be just so annoying to see Eloy stay fit on another team and start racking up numbers like he is capable of.

But the reality is that if he stayed he will probably pick up some freak injury shortly after spring training and miss half the season! And as you say even if Eloy has a return to his rookie season in numbers the White Sox will still suck in 2024.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Your feelings/assessment of this player are valid on the surface but again, I have to counter with some examples that support a contrary conclusion about Eloy's value that go beyond his excellent career numbers.

Eloy is at the prime of his career at 26 yrs old.  But consider the net negative to our Chicago teams when players like Bobby Hull, Carlton Fisk, Ron Santo, and Mike Ditka were not kept in the fold. I am not equating those players with Eloy or Burger. However all of those star players had value to their respective teams and to this city that even exceeded their value on paper. More recently, trading Jake Burger, a beloved player that one could argue was injury prone after 2 Achilles injuries, was short sighted. Fans loved watching him come to the plate to see a 430 ft. bomb and his smile as he crossed the plate and entered the dugout. Getz should not be as foolish as his predecessor Mr Hahn.

Everyone would prefer to win the WS every year but mlb teams are in the business of entertainment. That should be obvious when teams like the cubs are popular despite a long history of failure.

I will go a step further with this thought. Perhaps Grifol is the wrong face for the organization. Maybe a Manager that has a bit of personality and  flair would add to fan interest. Same should pertain to the replacement for Benetti. I'd like to see a homer in the booth. My 3 cents.

2 hours ago, tray said:

Your feelings/assessment of this player are valid on the surface but again, I have to counter with some examples that support a contrary conclusion about Eloy's value that go beyond his excellent career numbers.

Eloy is at the prime of his career at 26 yrs old.  But consider the net negative to our Chicago teams when players like Bobby Hull, Carlton Fisk, Ron Santo, and Mike Ditka were not kept in the fold. I am not equating those players with Eloy or Burger. However all of those star players had value to their respective teams and to this city that even exceeded their value on paper. More recently, trading Jake Burger, a beloved player that one could argue was injury prone after 2 Achilles injuries, was short sighted. Fans loved watching him come to the plate to see a 430 ft. bomb and his smile as he crossed the plate and entered the dugout. Getz should not be as foolish as his predecessor Mr Hahn.

Everyone would prefer to win the WS every year but mlb teams are in the business of entertainment. That should be obvious when teams like the cubs are popular despite a long history of failure.

I will go a step further with this thought. Perhaps Grifol is the wrong face for the organization. Maybe a Manager that has a bit of personality and  flair would add to fan interest. Same should pertain to the replacement for Benetti. I'd like to see a homer in the booth. My 3 cents.

I'll only comment on Fisk. He played from 1981 through 1993 with the Sox...how many years did you expect him to play? 25?

He was treated very badly by JR and the organization but honestly as a player he was done.

It's hard to see any team giving up much for Eloy. Someday, he's going to figure out how to get the ball in the air more often, but thr Sox can't seem to help him. 

I don't think he's the problem child some make him out to be. His teammates love him. He did lose the weight the Sox wanted him to lose, and then his appendix burst. 

I guess what I'm getting at is I wouldn't  trade him just to get rid of him. 

• Like 2