Morosi: Wouldn’t be surprised if Robert is traded

caulfield12

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

I mean, I guess the logic is that you'd be stocking up the farm and also replacing Cease with a younger, more cost-controlled pitcher.

To me, having "good" players at this point is irrelevant. The team is going to suck, so whether you suck with a stud in CF or you suck with a dud in CF, it doesn't really matter to me.

Except a stud CF has a much more attractive feel than a stud pitcher. If fans are choosing home games based on who is playing, the CF is the obvious way to go. I hope both Cease and Robert survive but it appears Cease is needed to bring in new blood 

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Except a stud CF has a much more attractive feel than a stud pitcher. If fans are choosing home games based on who is playing, the CF is the obvious way to go. I hope both Cease and Robert survive but it appears Cease is needed to bring in new blood 

I mean, yeah.

But at the end of the day, if the team is going to lose 90 games, nobody's going to bother to come anyways, so what does it matter?

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’m torn on Robert, he has the potential to be a 5 tool superstar but he needs to want it, I see him being a little lackadaisical with some work needed in his approach in the batters box. I see a lot of Moncada in him and not in good way.

It’s not really potential anymore. He was a 5 tool superstar in 2023 and that wasn’t even close to his ceiling as he still have several long stretches of being completely helpless at the plate. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I'd say the '25 trade deadline at the earliest. No way they can get his value before then. 

This. No one is coming close to matching his price tag. Just trading him to the high bidder now would be a big mistake. Could get the same value in 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It's basically something like:

If the Orioles are prospect hugging for Cease, do you think they'd be willing to meet Robert's price (Holiday++).

You're asking for a team's top prospects and probably a young MLB piece. The cost of Robert with four years of affordable control should be squeezing blood from a stone.

Exactly. The acquisition cost should be so painful that no team would pay it. Knowing this, If the Sox were actually looking to move him I would be concerned about their motivations, and worried that they'd be settling for far less than they should accept.

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Exactly. The acquisition cost should be so painful that no team would pay it. Knowing this, If the Sox were actually looking to move him I would be concerned about their motivations, and worried that they'd be settling for far less than they should accept.

Prolly should cost 4 Top 100 with at least 2 in the Top 50. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

id wait til he's got 2 years left on his deal, no team is gonna give up what he's worth right now. only downside is those last 2 years are 20mil/per

Totally agree with this. I think teams want to pay a price for player value, and control is too hard to price out. Should 4 years of a player be 4x the price of 1 year of the player? Logically that seems close, maybe you get a discount for taking more of the salary.

But realistically no team can wipe out its farm for a single player. That's where the "x amount of control from 5 players for 4 years" does start to make sense. 

That said, unleashing robert is timing a market right, all the teams competing would starve for a guy like that. 

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I think Morosi is hunting controversy/clicks. Robert’s surplus value is currently more than some teams’ entire farm systems.

Correct. You always throw out the "nobody is untradeable" to see if anyone bites. However, the trade for Robert would decimate any other team's farm system and probably MLB team. 

People are just looking for ways to generate clicks. Unfortunately, that is what media has come to today. It's the absolute worst it's ever been for creating controversy just controversy sake.

Unfortunately, just as many fans believe it's true journalism and run with it.

Edited by ptatc

Robert is going to get traded eventually. It won't be this offseason but next offseason or trade deadline of 2025 are very real possibilties. The Sox have almost zero chance of being competitive during the remainder of his contract so it makes little sense to keep him on a tanking ballclub. Enjoy watching him roam center field on the South Side while you can cause he will be traded away soon enough. 

• Like 1

Morosi's point though is valid, the Sox probably aren't doing anything with him at least in the near future, so you deal him for a haul that may, may...help with moving forward if you are "retooling", "rebuilding" or whatever word you wish to use.

I wouldn't trade him right now but I'm guessing he will be traded in the next one to two years.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Morosi's point though is valid, the Sox probably aren't doing anything with him at least in the near future, so you deal him for a haul that may, may...help with moving forward if you are "retooling", "rebuilding" or whatever word you wish to use.

I wouldn't trade him right now but I'm guessing he will be traded in the next one to two years.

Agree. If you are moving Cease and punting 2024 and 2025 it doesn't make much sense to keep Robert around much longer. This organization is in such bad shape with its farm system and has an owner who refuses to sign any premiere free agents. How in the world are they planning to compete during the remainder of La Panteras contract? It's going to take an absolute miracle like Noah Schutlz turning into Randy Johnson and that Oder kid they got from Miami turning into Tom Glavine. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Agree. If you are moving Cease and punting 2024 and 2025 it doesn't make much sense to keep Robert around much longer. This organization is in such bad shape with its farm system and has an owner who refuses to sign any premiere free agents. How in the world are they planning to compete during the remainder of La Panteras contract? It's going to take an absolute miracle like Noah Schutlz turning into Randy Johnson and that Oder kid they got from Miami turning into Tom Glavine. 

The reality is very few teams have what it would take to get Robert and even fewer would pony up those chips.  As such, it’s far more likely to hold him for a year, see what you have, and then make a call next off-season.  Even three years of Robert is going to require a haul that will be challenging to get.

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I think Morosi is hunting controversy/clicks. Robert’s surplus value is currently more than some teams’ entire farm systems.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

People are just looking for ways to generate clicks. Unfortunately, that is what media has come to today. It's the absolute worst it's ever been for creating controversy just controversy sake.

Unfortunately, just as many fans believe it's true journalism and run with it.

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Morosi makes money by how much his information travels, i.e. clicks/shares/retweets

That's why you should only ever bother with people who have a proven track record of getting the facts right

I get all this, but I mean, Morosi didn't even put this out there under his own Twitter account or anything, so there are no clicks to generate. It's from a podcast he was a guest on. And quite frankly, saying he could see Robert being traded is not exactly a bold or controversial statement.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I get all this, but I mean, Morosi didn't even put this out there under his own Twitter account or anything, so there are no clicks to generate. It's from a podcast he was a guest on. And quite frankly, saying he could see Robert being traded is not exactly a bold or controversial statement.

maybe he sucks at Twitter as much as he sucks at being a journalist 😂

that's fair tho, maybe he heard something but I doubt it

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The reality is very few teams have what it would take to get Robert and even fewer would pony up those chips.  As such, it’s far more likely to hold him for a year, see what you have, and then make a call next off-season.  Even three years of Robert is going to require a haul that will be challenging to get.

Waiting until the deadline or next offseason also gives other teams a chance to have breakout prospects, so teams other than the Orioles could afford him, and if he has a first half or full season comparable to last year then maybe some team will view him as more of a sure thing that they’d be willing to bet hugely on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

But realistically no team can wipe out its farm for a single player.

I seem to remember Scott Boras getting involved in the A-Rod trade to the Yankees. A-Rod specifically didn't want the Yankees to clean house, that's why Alfonso Soriano had to be part of the return.