Sox Sign Erick Fedde - 2 years, $15 million

Heads22

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why no?  Have you seen the roster?

That's the point...the roster is still a work in progress.  I like the job Getz is doing so far.  We have lost some really worthless players (Grandal being my personal choice) and have added at least 3 players who will be an improvement.  Two months from now we will have a better chance to evaluate but for now Getz is doing fine.  I particularly like the additions to the pitching mentoring in Bannister and new BP coach.  I don't believe Getz is through improving the club by a long shot.  I understand that JR has worn out his welcome, but Getz hasn't done anything to earn the negativity on this forum IMO,

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's the point...the roster is still a work in progress.  I like the job Getz is doing so far.  We have lost some really worthless players (Grandal being my personal choice) and have added at least 3 players who will be an improvement.  Two months from now we will have a better chance to evaluate but for now Getz is doing fine.  I particularly like the additions to the pitching mentoring in Bannister and new BP coach.  I don't believe Getz is through improving the club by a long shot.  I understand that JR has worn out his welcome, but Getz hasn't done anything to earn the negativity on this forum IMO,

That will have to wait for when Cease is eventually traded.

Or he can positively surprise everyone with a Grifol launching.

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

This roster is trash and DeJong, Fede, and Lopez aren’t going to prevent the miserable season that’s coming. 

• Like 1

The win loss record between 2023 - 2025 does not really matter. 

The Sox would have lost less then 100 last year if they kept many of the players they dumped in July. Their record to close out the year caused them to lose 101. That said, the fire sale was the smart thing to do.

Ditto 2024-2025. Progress should be measured by whether Getz and his team substantially improve the method to acquire and develop players, and hold players accountable, and to build a sustainable core organization over the next few years. 

The won loss record (90 / 95 / 100 losses) is not important the next two years. I’m approaching these games as I did in 2019.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:26 AM, poppysox said:

The question wasn't if the WS would be "trash"...but if they would lose 100 games.

If Cease is traded, I would say its a guarantee they lose 100 games. Even with Cease, hard to see a scenario where they don't lose 100 games.

43 minutes ago, T R U said:

If Cease is traded, I would say its a guarantee they lose 100 games. Even with Cease, hard to see a scenario where they don't lose 100 games.

100 is a ton of games to lose unless you are totally trying to do it. So much has to go wrong. I know the pitching staff will be below average, the offense will be below average, but even without Cease, I think they stay in double figures in the L column with improved defense. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, T R U said:

Grandal, Bummer, Kelley, Graveman, Lynn, Gio, and Anderson...all gone thank God!

Clevenger was OK and Hendriks didn't contribute.

DeJong/Mongomery, Lopez/new guy, Stassi/lee, Fedde are all better than who they replaced.

So far, I think Getz has done a good job of clearing the dead wood and improving the defense and chemistry until help arrives.  New coaches and Bannister are also positives.  Some health for Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi, etc. would help a lot.  No way will this 2024 squad lose 100...especially when the offseason moves have been completed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Grandal, Bummer, Kelley, Graveman, Lynn, Gio, and Anderson...all gone thank God!

DeJong/Mongomery, Lopez/new guy, Stassi/lee, Fedde are all better than who they replaced.

So far, I think Getz has done a good job of clearing the dead wood and improving the defense and chemistry until help arrives.  New coaches and Bannister are also positives.  Some health for Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi, etc. would help a lot.  No way will this 2024 squad lose 100...especially when the offseason moves have been completed.

This team as currently constructed will be lucky to score 3+ runs a game. And once Cease is traded, they’ll have one of the worst rotations in all of baseball. Not saying Getz hasn’t cleaned anything up, but let’s not trick ourselves into thinking this team is going to be rolling over their opponents. I really don’t see how this team escapes losing 90+ losses barring some spending on legitimate FA.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I’m not sure any of these are foolproof upgrades.  Maybe DeJong/Montgomery is, but that’s only because Anderson was god awful last year.  DeJong’s ceiling is legit a 0.5 win player.  That isn’t moving the needle and I’m not convinced Colson will be ready until the 2H and will likely experience some growing pains.

Grandal was bad last year, but Stassi didn’t even play in 2023 and he was awful in 2022 (in particular, check out his defensive metrics on Statcast).  Hopefully that was a one-year aberration and perhaps his ability to handle a pitching staff can offset some erosion in framing, blocking, & throwing but there is a reason he was basically free.  And you must not have watched Lee last year if you have any faith that he represents an upgrade over anything.

Beyond that, Nicky Lopez is the only positional player we’ve added.  Again, he can be a useful little player, but doesn’t move the needle.  Meanwhile, we have a massive hole in RF and zero OF depth.  It’s hard to imagine that Benintendi, Eloy, Moncada, & Vaughn can be worse than last year.  Any real improvement right now on the positional side will need to come from those guys and they are huge wild cards at the moment.

However, the part you really ignored is the pitching.  How can anyone with a straight face say the pitching is better.  Giolito & Clevinger actually pitched well for us last year and both are gone max.  Cease is almost certainly going to be traded.  Fedde & Soroka are fun little additions, but to expect them to replace the production of aforementioned guys is wild to me.  And behind an incredibly questionable rotation, is an equally questionable bullpen.  If you put a gun to my head right now and said predict the worst pitching staff in the majors, it’s going to be the White Sox.  And it’s probably not even close.  Right now, the pitching staff is almost certainly a large downgrade vs. the 2023 version and will get worse once Dylan is traded.

Unless the underperforming positional guys really improve this year and stay healthy, 100+ losses seems highly likely.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure any of these are foolproof upgrades.  Maybe DeJong/Montgomery is, but that’s only because Anderson was god awful last year.  DeJong’s ceiling is legit a 0.5 win player.  That isn’t moving the needle and I’m not convinced Colson will be ready until the 2H and will likely experience some growing pains.

Grandal was bad last year, but Stassi didn’t even play in 2023 and he was awful in 2022 (in particular, check out his defensive metrics on Statcast).  Hopefully that was a one-year aberration and perhaps his ability to handle a pitching staff can offset some erosion in framing, blocking, & throwing but there is a reason he was basically free.  And you must not have watched Lee last year if you have any faith that he represents an upgrade over anything.

Beyond that, Nicky Lopez is the only positional player we’ve added.  Again, he can be a useful little player, but doesn’t move the needle.  Meanwhile, we have a massive hole in RF and zero OF depth.  It’s hard to imagine that Benintendi, Eloy, Moncada, & Vaughn can be worse than last year.  Any real improvement right now on the positional side will need to come from those guys and they are huge wild cards at the moment.

However, the part you really ignored is the pitching.  How can anyone with a straight face say the pitching is better.  Giolito & Clevinger actually pitched well for us last year and both are gone max.  Cease is almost certainly going to be traded.  Fedde & Soroka are fun little additions, but to expect them to replace the production of aforementioned guys is wild to me.  And behind an incredibly questionable rotation, is an equally questionable bullpen.  If you put a gun to my head right now and said predict the worst pitching staff in the majors, it’s going to be the White Sox.  And it’s probably not even close.  Right now, the pitching staff is almost certainly a large downgrade vs. the 2023 version and will get worse once Dylan is traded.

Unless the underperforming positional guys really improve this year and stay healthy, 100+ losses seems highly likely.

Yeah...around here it always comes down to glass half empty vs glass half full.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Really, any improvement has to come from:

• Healthy contract year Moncada
  • Healthy, motivated Eloy
  • Head-on-his shoulders Colas not in Pedro's doghouse
  • Sosa/Rodriguez emerging at second base or Lopez having a .347 BAPIP that he had 2 years ago instead of the .250 range that he has had the rest of his career
  • Benintendi playing like he did prior to be a White Sox
  • Andrew Vaughn developing
  • Prayers in the bullpen
  • Korey Lee hitting better than Zach Collins
  • Colson Montgomery being the guy we hope he can be
  • Kopech's arm strength holding
  • Mena and Nastrini reaching the major league level and having absolutely no growing pains

Edit, forgot two:

• Hope Mike Soroka regains his 2019 form, like Yoan!
  • Bank on KBO form Erick Fedde (I'm actually super intrigued by this)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yeah...around here it always comes down to glass half empty vs glass half full.

Jerry Reinsdorf has left us with like 10 drops of water inside of a novelty glass.

I say this as an eternal optimist. 2025 may be interesting if everything goes right. But this rebuild is just as doomed as the last one if Jerry refuses to spend.

• Like 1

Fedde may work out, and perhaps the Sox are heading in the right direction. But I have little patience for three more losing seasons, and that is what we are going to get. Hope springs eternal has never been a motto of mine. I don't see the Sox ever competing in the free agent market. Rebuilding alone isn't going to do it.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Really, any improvement has to come from:

• Healthy contract year Moncada
  • Healthy, motivated Eloy
  • Head-on-his shoulders Colas not in Pedro's doghouse
  • Sosa/Rodriguez emerging at second base or Lopez having a .347 BAPIP that he had 2 years ago instead of the .250 range that he has had the rest of his career
  • Benintendi playing like he did prior to be a White Sox
  • Andrew Vaughn developing
  • Prayers in the bullpen
  • Korey Lee hitting better than Zach Collins
  • Colson Montgomery being the guy we hope he can be
  • Kopech's arm strength holding
  • Mena and Nastrini reaching the major league level and having absolutely no growing pains

Edit, forgot two:

• Hope Mike Soroka regains his 2019 form, like Yoan!
  • Bank on KBO form Erick Fedde (I'm actually super intrigued by this)

And that’s a lot of IF’s. Far too many variables to bank on going right. 

Getz has made a good show of fumigating, but the roster is still devoid of impact talent. Nothing he has done so far has significantly improved a 100 loss team. 

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And that’s a lot of IF’s. Far too many variables to bank on going right. 

Getz has made a good show of fumigating, but the roster is still devoid of impact talent. Nothing he has done so far has significantly improved a 100 loss team. 

And even with all the ifs.

• If Fedde or Soroka are dealing at the deadline, you should probably trade them.
  • If DeJong or Lopez are playing well and teams want defenders up the middle, you should trade them.
  • If Yoan, Eloy, or Benintendi are playing well and teams are willing to their contracts? Trade.
  • Stassi? Depends on Quero.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

They cleared out the roster at the last trading deadline, let a few more players go (Anderson, Grandall, Bummer, Hendricks, Andrus, Clevinger) and have replaced them with Triple A depth. Maybe it's a bridge in a bad division to 2025, but what does that even mean? Are we really expecting significant talent from the minors to come up? Are they going to spend on free agents? It's hard to build anything sustainable without doing both.

• Like 2