Tony La Russa Adamant He Is Not The Decision Maker

South Side Hit Men

Tony is a Hall of Famer. He isn't a dummy. He should tell Jerry, "Look, you need to improve your pitching staff or you are going to win a maximum of 60 games with a good manager, 52 or so with Pedro. Conceivably the everyday lineup could be OK (for the Central) since Moncada and Timmy and Elvis and Vaughn on paper isn't too bad an infield group. We got no catcher though which is vital. And we got Beni and Robert who are OK. Robert excellent. But that pitching ... whoa.

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Tony is a Hall of Famer. He isn't a dummy. He should tell Jerry, "Look, you need to improve your pitching staff or you are going to win a maximum of 60 games with a good manager, 52 or so with Pedro. Conceivably the everyday lineup could be OK (for the Central) since Moncada and Timmy and Elvis and Vaughn on paper isn't too bad an infield group. We got no catcher though which is vital. And we got Beni and Robert who are OK. Robert excellent. But that pitching ... whoa.

Anderson is gone...the odds of his return are about the same as Lucas Giolito's.

Robert was much more than OK last year. 

Those two players (Beni/Luis) don't belong in the same sentence tagged with similar sentiment...because one would cost the team half his remaining salary in subsidies or talent sent along with and the other half another team's farm system.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

I'm glad he's healthy, seemingly cancer-free, and looking much better. He's a baseball legend and I don't think he's even anyone for Sox fans to scapegoat. As far as I can tell, pretty much every Sox player spoke fondly of him besides flash-in-the pan egotists like Yermin Mercedes. He probably shouldn't have been re-hired as manager, but I don't see any issue with him offering his perspectives as an "advisor". The front office and coaching personnel should be intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves and either ignore or integrate others' opinions into their decision-making. This seems very much the same role that John Paxson plays with the Bulls who clearly has no impact on player evaluation (maybe he should). 

I also think it's completely pointless and irrelevant to baseball to criticize him for a barely over the legal limit DUI, though he should probably have his driver's license taken away, when half of this country is addicted to drugs and I'm sure "good" people we know have made a mistake and gotten a DUI. There's good evidence to suggest there's a relationship between DUI arrests and access to public transportation (and Mormonism), it's not exactly a surprise that Arizona and Florida have much higher rates of DUI arrests than New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania or especially Washington DC, places that actually give you the opportunity to take the train or bus or somewhere. 

Point being, this seems like a whole lotta nothing. here's an interesting article pertaining to White Sox baseball I read today:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-not-to-build-for-depth/

Edited by nrockway
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I'm glad he's healthy, seemingly cancer-free, and looking much better. He's a baseball legend and I don't think he's even anyone for Sox fans to scapegoat. As far as I can tell, pretty much every Sox player spoke fondly of him besides flash-in-the pan egotists like Yermin Mercedes. He probably shouldn't have been re-hired as manager, but I don't see any issue with him offering his perspectives as an "advisor". The front office and coaching personnel should be intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves and either ignore or integrate others' opinions into their decision-making. This seems very much the same role that John Paxson plays with the Bulls who clearly has no impact on player evaluation (maybe he should). 

I also think it's completely pointless and irrelevant to baseball to criticize him for a barely over the legal limit DUI, though he should probably have his driver's license taken away, when half of this country is addicted to drugs and I'm sure "good" people we know have made a mistake and gotten a DUI. There's good evidence to suggest there's a relationship between DUI arrests and access to public transportation (and Mormonism), it's not exactly a surprise that Arizona and Florida have much higher rates of DUI arrests than New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania or especially Washington DC, places that actually give you the opportunity to take the train or bus or somewhere. 

Point being, this seems like a whole lotta nothing. here's an interesting article pertaining to White Sox baseball I read today:

You seem like a nice guy.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

So the key figure in this is Jerry. 

In reading the article you posted, on the topic of how insanely bad not only the organization is, but specifically the minor league system and depth…Jerry decided the best man to run the entire organization was the teams minor league director the last 7 years.

Jerry has also made the decision to continue to use TLR as an advisor for “baseball matters.”

I think it’s perfectly reasonable for fans to call into question the individuals Jerry surrounds himself with, given their historically bad track record, no?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm over that chapter. Let him advise. Let him play video games with JR. All I'm interested in are wins and losses. I'm not going to like or dislike the team based on TLRs involvement. JR could do everything most posters here want but if the team is still losing 90+ games, I'm not buying in. Be competitive and I really don't care how they get there (without cheating). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

You know Tony, there is one sure fire way to convince everyone you’re not part of the decision-making process, and that’s to go the f*** away and never have any contact with this team again…

My first thought on this thread was "Thou doth protest too much"

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

“Barely above the legal limit” lmao TLR fucking fell asleep behind the wheel at a stoplight.  Don’t act like he was a little tipsy, that’s s%*# is dangerous.

Yeah but did he fall asleep because he was tipsy or was it because he’s so old???

Why would the White Sox want his input on anything? When he was younger and the game was different, fine....

Different times. 

The dude was falling asleep in the dugout and has medical issues. 

Concerning and not helpful that every decision maker on the White Sox is (or feel they have to) acknowledging the advice and access that he has. 

Right across town, the Cubs are hiring what many would say is the best manager in baseball (or at least in the top of the best). Here, we have a 80 year old whose time has past in the ear of our decision makers on a team with no actual direction, shitty culture and cutting payroll. Who thinks this is a good idea other than Reinsdorf? What could go wrong?

• Thanks 1