Haber out / Wong in as Assistant GM

1 minute ago, Pale Sox said:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but it’s Shirley. 

Sometimes the brain freezes when applying the acronyms to certain topics and remembering the hierarchy doesn't jump to the forefront either. I would've just typed Shirley. 🙂

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To Harold’s point, this is now a pure administrative role.  While it’s still a little annoying they keep hiring Royals guys, the guy has a lot of experience and I’m not sure this is the one that bothers me (Gene Watson is more worrisome IMO).  Regardless, this is more about Haber getting removed from the org that is exciting.

A little? Don’t care if it’s paper pushing or not. The organization got rid of Williams and Hahn probably a decade too late, and their replacements are the architects of another one of the worst franchises in sports. It’s a joke 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sometimes the brain freezes when applying the acronyms to certain topics and remembering the hierarchy doesn't jump to the forefront either. I would've just typed Shirley. 🙂

Wasn’t trying to be a dick, was just caught off guard bc seemed like something you’d know. 

2 minutes ago, Pale Sox said:

Wasn’t trying to be a dick, was just caught off guard bc seemed like something you’d know. 

Oh I know you were being helpful and I appreciated it hence the smiling emoji. I don't usually follow the draft that much so Shirley's name although I've heard it many times before just wasn't coming to me. Hey I'm old . I post because I like to write to keep my mind sharp.However It doesn't always work .

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

A little? Don’t care if it’s paper pushing or not. The organization got rid of Williams and Hahn probably a decade too late, and their replacements are the architects of another one of the worst franchises in sports. It’s a joke 

How are Getz & Barfield the “architects” of the s%*# show Royals?  I already called out Gene Watson being a suspect hire if that’s who you are referring to.  I can assure you that Wong had very little to do with designing the on-field product for the Royals if that’s what you are implying.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How are Getz & Barfield the “architects” of the s%*# show Royals?  I already called out Gene Watson being a suspect hire if that’s who you are referring to.  I can assure you that Wong had very little to do with designing the on-field product for the Royals if that’s what you are implying.

I agree . It can't hurt to now have The Sorcerer Supreme.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tony said:

My problem, and I realize Wong in all probability will have very little say in the roster, but it's another KC guy who has the GMs eat and probability  is very loyal to Grifol. How Pedro is still around is a joke.

• Like 2

This is Wong's description of his own responsibilities with the Royals from his LinkedIn page. Do with it what you will. 

After more than two decades with the Kansas City Royals, I made the decision to leave the Club after serving as the Vice President of Baseball Administration and Assistant General Manager for the last two seasons. In this role, I was deeply immersed in the day-to-day operations of the organization, overseeing player acquisition, contract negotiations, budgetary procedure, roster management, salary arbitration, and ensuring compliance with MLB rules and the Collective

I've held various pivotal roles in my career, each contributing to the growth and success of the organization. From negotiating multi-million-dollar player contracts for some of the Club's most iconic players to spearheading key advancements in operational processes, I've been fortunate to play a significant role in shaping the team's trajectory.

In addition to my financial and contractual responsibilities, I actively engaged in team building and mentoring, participating in high stakes hiring processes and managing junior associates. I provided strategic input on roster decisions, maintained crucial relationships with player agents and club executives, and represented the Club in an attempt to influence positive changes within the game.

I invite you to connect, share insights, and explore potential collaborations.

Top skillsTop skills

Negotiation • Financial Analysis • Problem Solving • Teamwork • Executive Management

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This is Wong's description of his own responsibilities with the Royals from his LinkedIn page. Do with it what you will. 

What a trajection he helped Royals to. The last 4 full seasons they lost 103, 88,97, and 106 games. He'll help the White Sox beat that.

• Thanks 1

Let’s say you were a fan of the Padres, or just a random MLB team. In the last year, if your favorite team hired 5-6 key front office roles, both manager and executive roles, all from the White Sox, how would you feel about it? Not great, right? You’d hope your favorite team would target people in organizations that have shown some signs of success over the last 6–7 years, right? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

Let’s say you were a fan of the Padres, or just a random MLB team. In the last year, if your favorite team hired 5-6 key front office roles, both manager and executive roles, all from the White Sox, how would you feel about it? Not great, right? You’d hope your favorite team would target people in organizations that have shown some signs of success over the last 6–7 years, right? 

Of course and I called out that all the Royals hires as annoying and problematic in most cases.  But Haber was a major problem and the last major remnant of the failed KW / Hahn regime.  For a period of time I was greatly concerned that Getz was going to keep him around.  His exit is a huge win and the fact they are splitting up his responsibilities is just as important.  Would I prefer a non-Royal hire to fill this role?  Of course, but this is one area where I think it’s much less of a issue.

• Like 2

People keep bitching about FO and Players with Royals connections coming here, but just how many external people with other options are actually willing to work for Jerry Reinsdorf, and if yes, work for this organization at this stage of bottom five tanking for the next few years?

There are a few significant hires I'm pleased with, and this will take some time, especially with the budget and person signing the checks. Also, this is like trying to rebuild Hiroshima. They didn't even have job descriptions, a formal employee review process or establish formal employee or player goals each year.

Jerry, Kenny, Hahn and Boyer literally ran this like a child's lemonade stand, though with a grown up (Howard Pizer) in charge of the money and other critical functions.

Of course and I called out that all the Royals hires as annoying and problematic in most cases.  But Haber was a major problem and the last major remnant of the failed KW / Hahn regime.  For a period of time I was greatly concerned that Getz was going to keep him around.  His exit is a huge win and the fact they are splitting up his responsibilities is just as important.  Would I prefer a non-Royal hire to fill this role?  Of course, but this is one area where I think it’s much less of an issue.

Why is anyone sure this new guy is an improvement?  He sure didn’t do much for the Royals.

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

People keep bitching about FO and Players with Royals connections coming here, but just how many external people with other options are actually willing to work for Jerry Reinsdorf, and if yes, work for this organization at this stage of bottom five tanking for the next few years?

There are a few significant hires I'm pleased with, and this will take some time, especially with the budget and person signing the checks. Also, this is like trying to rebuild Hiroshima. They didn't even have job descriptions, a formal employee review process or establish formal employee or player goals each year.

Jerry, Kenny, Hahn and Boyer literally ran this like a child's lemonade stand, though with a grown up (Howard Pizer) in charge of the money and other critical functions.

Everyone loves to work for JR. He is very loyal and keeps people around forever. It's good job security to work for him. 

Getz hiring former Royals in his front office shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. It’s where he worked prior to the Sox, he has lots of contact there. I’m not going to get worked up over a contract/budget/cba guy coming from Kansas City. I’m sure it’s a fine hire.

Edited by Boopa1219
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if the people who complain about the Royal hires ever worked for a garbage company. 

Do you now consider yourself unemployable because you worked under a shady or incompetent boss? Like, when you were 24, your boss was a spaz, and a bad manager. Do you ask prospective employers to take into mind that you were trained to fail when you interview?

I think the complainers should post their resumes and highlight the part that asks to be paid the minimum allowable because you will inevitably fail at your job, and put all the wrong procedures into place at their company. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Thanks 3