Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Husky Stadium upper deck is the worst I've ever been in:

Goal_Post-FLAT.jpg

great view. steep as s%*#.

The worst was old Busch stadium in st Louis. It was so steep you could sit in an upper deck seat and look down to see the outfielder catch a ball against the wall. No one stood up to lean forward. 

• Haha 1

It sounds like everyone wants this to happen - from the mayor to the aldermen from both the new and old locations.  I am shocked Ald. Lee supports them moving out of Bridgeport but I think that just speaks to the realization that they are moving no matter what so keeping them in the city is preferable.

If this all works out they should name it Reinsdorf Park!

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

It sounds like everyone wants this to happen - from the mayor to the aldermen from both the new and old locations.  I am shocked Ald. Lee supports them moving out of Bridgeport but I think that just speaks to the realization that they are moving no matter what so keeping them in the city is preferable.

Rebrand "The 78" Jerryville or Reinsdorftown?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Naw, this kind of park will be fancy enough that it should get an actual legit business to sponsor it.

This really should happen, it’s exactly what you do to build a great modern ballpark. Pretty much everyone wins. I’m not sure why we had to endure public talk of Nashville before this got put out!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Naw, this kind of park will be fancy enough that it should get an actual legit business to sponsor it.

This really should happen, it’s exactly what you do to build a great modern ballpark. Pretty much everyone wins. I’m not sure why we had to endure public talk of Nashville before this got put out!

Hopefully it was a final leverage play to get this thing over the final humps of local support:

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

Lee will rubber stamp whatever the mayors office wants. And it's not like The Rate brings in revenue that helps the neighborhood. Those empty parking lots are the largest undeveloped tracks of land in the ward, and seeing them put to better use is probably of great interest to more than just the Alderman's office.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tray said:

I an not a geologist or land engineer but simply am noting the history of the site. You truck in all the solid fill you want but the original river bed may compromise soil bearing. We also do not know what kind of fill was used there. Once again, even without knowing some of these answers, the fact that the parcel has not been developed since 1929 should be cause for some trepidation about this site. I would pass on it and look for other alternatives, especially closer to the lakefront by Burnham Harbor.

One issue with difficult sites like this is that you just cannot accurately quantify prices until the shovels go down in the soil.

This isn’t true. I’m sure this has already been assessed to some degree. Geotechnical and environmental soil borings sampled intermittently throughout the site will give you a good understanding of the soil characteristics from both a structural and environmental perspective. Guarantee this has been done on some level already.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This isn’t true. I’m sure this has already been assessed to some degree. Geotechnical and environmental soil borings sampled intermittently throughout the site will give you a good understanding of the soil characteristics from both a structural and environmental perspective. Guarantee this has been done on some level already.

Joining a long, heralded list of Sox Talk produced expert meteorologists, we have now added expert geologists and civil engineers.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Joining a long, heralded list of Sox Talk produced expert meteorologists, we have now added expert geologists and civil engineers.

I’m a civil engineer and worked in commercial land development to start my career. He’s not wrong that soil management costs may be very high given prior land use but the developer should have a good idea of what they’re dealing with before they purchased the land. Saying that you won’t know what you’re dealing with until you put a shovel in the ground is not true. To the penny? No but order of magnitude - yes.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m a civil engineer and worked in commercial land development to start my career. He’s not wrong that soil management costs may be very high given prior land use but the developer should have a good idea of what they’re dealing with before they purchased the land. Saying that you won’t know what you’re dealing with until you put a shovel in the ground is not true. To the penny? No but order of magnitude - yes.

Multiple subsurface investigations have already been performed there. Nothing there is that alarming. Some areas will need to be hauled off, and anything removed will need to go to a landfill. But they can cap it all with pavement or clean fill. Part of the land already has a no further remediation letter. 

In the grand scheme of things, environmental will be a small drop in the bucket for a project of this magnitude. 

22 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Building a better ballpark in a better location in town than the gorgeous dump on the north side is about the only thing Jerry could do to get Sox fans back. Amazing if that old bastard pulls this off.

Maybe he's actually getting self conscious about his legacy. The guy would get booed after his death harder than Jerry Krause did.

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Whoever mentioned it could be worse is right I guess.  Someone said at least it’s not Zach Zaidman and they were spot on.  I have no idea how that guy has a career in broadcasting.  Worst monotone and boring voice of all time.

Agreed on Zaidman. Unlike several of his peers (Benetti included), his "announcer voice" and general smarmy bearing are a continuous advertisement for I went to Syracuse to become a broadcaster, and he's also one of the all-time hilariously cliched apologists for any team he covers -- Cubs, Bears, or DePaul. An immediate "change the station" guy for me, when he subs in on Mully and Haugh, that's a morning I won't be listening to that show.

So yeah, compared to him, McKnight's a dream.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Friend of Nordhagen said:

Agreed on Zaidman. Unlike several of his peers (Benetti included), his "announcer voice" and general smarmy bearing are a continuous advertisement for I went to Syracuse to become a broadcaster, and he's also one of the all-time hilariously cliched apologists for any team he covers -- Cubs, Bears, or DePaul. An immediate "change the station" guy for me, when he subs in on Mully and Haugh, that's a morning I won't be listening to that show.

So yeah, compared to him, McKnight's a dream.

I totally agree.  Remember this?  🤣

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Have any articles touched on the possibility of a retractable roof? The renderings I saw definitely didn't have one. 

I feel like it's very unlikely. The renderings seem really well aligned to Related's vision for open, connected green spaces. 

https://www.78chicago.com/explore/parks

It would also add at least a half billion to the cost.