Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Multiple subsurface investigations have already been performed there. Nothing there is that alarming. Some areas will need to be hauled off, and anything removed will need to go to a landfill. But they can cap it all with pavement or clean fill. Part of the land already has a no further remediation letter. 

In the grand scheme of things, environmental will be a small drop in the bucket for a project of this magnitude. 

I think the cost of the environment remediation could be significant but not enough to derail anything.

The other part of this is that they would have an agreement about who would absorb the cost overruns on remediation should there be any. That probably mostly goes to the city.

Also, what are the chances Jimmy Hoffa is buried here? 

32 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wonder if the Bears move to the cell.  Enough land there to build the domed stadium.

I don't see how that would work. Wouldn't most of the construction have to wait until the Sox stadium is fully built and they've started playing there?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Another dumb article. I don't blame JR for this. It's good business if he can get the politicians to pay for it.

I blame the dumbass politicians. I wouldn't give them a dime to build the stadium. 

By politicians you mean taxpayers and they shouldn’t have to pay for a new stadium for a pathetic owner of a team that doesn’t try to win.  A new stadium for the Cubs would be a different argument unfortunately.  I’m not a Cubs fan but they actually try to win and bring a ton of money to the city.  JR is a deadbeat Scrooge just trying to line his pockets.

This is an obvious ploy to jack of the value of the Sox franchise for his heirs once the team is sold.  That’s fine and dandy but don’t try to get taxpayers to fund your plan to leave a bigger estate to your heirs.

But you don’t blame the scumbag tyrant owner that is trying to take money out of taxpayers’ pockets to get even richer, as if he needs the money?  I hope the city tells JR to go F himself if he tries to get any public funding.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Another dumb article. I don't blame JR for this. It's good business if he can get the politicians to pay for it.

I blame the dumbass politicians. I wouldn't give them a dime to build the stadium. 

If Pritzker went back on his talk of protecting local taxpayers, he would seemingly hand over the hammer to hit him with in the following  election. I am impressed with how so-called insiders and sources are so optimistic. Yet if Pritzker is for real, this doesn’t sound feasible. I guess that’ll answer my own doubts, depending on a politician to be for real. Hopefully this is being financed by out of town money and mega dollared new ownership.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

36 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I don't see how that would work. Wouldn't most of the construction have to wait until the Sox stadium is fully built and they've started playing there?

So if it all jumped off tomorrow, it would be 5-7 years until the Bears can be 5-7 years away from moving in

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

By politicians you mean taxpayers and they shouldn’t have to pay for a new stadium for a pathetic owner of a team that doesn’t try to win.  A new stadium for the Cubs would be a different argument unfortunately.  I’m not a Cubs fan but they actually try to win and bring a ton of money to the city.

What have the Cubs done to win over the past several seasons?

Sox have had a far better off-season to date. Cubs lost their best hitter and Stroman this offseason, signed an unproven Japanese pitcher.

Both teams have won zero playoff series and a single legitimate division since 2016.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

By politicians you mean taxpayers and they shouldn’t have to pay for a new stadium for a pathetic owner of a team that doesn’t try to win.  A new stadium for the Cubs would be a different argument unfortunately.  I’m not a Cubs fan but they actually try to win and bring a ton of money to the city.  JR is a deadbeat Scrooge just trying to line his pockets.

This is an obvious ploy to jack of the value of the Sox franchise for his heirs once the team is sold.  That’s fine and dandy but don’t try to get taxpayers to fund your plan to leave a bigger estate to your heirs.

But you don’t blame the scumbag tyrant owner that is trying to take money out of taxpayers’ pockets to get even richer, as if he needs the money?  I hope the city tells JR to go F himself if he tries to get any public funding.

I hope the city tells him the same thing. But again I don't blame him for asking. It's good business if someone else pays. It's good business to jack up the value of the franchise as you put it. 

Many many businesses that build or bring new companies to new areas get all sorts of tax incentives and public money in one way or another. 

Its the politicians that say yes that I have a problem with. If someone offered to build you a new home of business would you say no? 

4 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If Pritzker went back on his talk of protecting local taxpayers, he would seemingly hand over the hammer to hit him with in the following  election. I am impressed with how so-called insiders and sources are so optimistic. Yet if Pritzker is for real, this doesn’t sound feasible. I guess that’ll answer my own doubts, depending on a politician to be for real. Hopefully this is being financed by out of town money and mega dollared new ownership.

I don't care who finances it but it shouldn't be outright public money. There is always going to be government incentives and tax breaks but they shouldn't fund the building. 

JR knows how to capitalize on privately funded stadiums as he did with the United Center. 

4 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

So if it all jumped off tomorrow, it would be 5-7 years until the Bears can be 5-7 years away from moving in

According to Kevin Warren who helped the Viking get their new stadium, it 3 years from ground breaking to playing. 

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wonder if the Bears move to the cell.  Enough land there to build the domed stadium.

I thought I heard they would retrofit the G Rate to a soccer stadium and the Fire would move there.

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I wonder how many jobs are tied directly or indirectly to the team? How much fans spend when attending the game and the tax dollars generated. That's what's list if he goes off to Nashville. 

Teams with money to spend seem to do better at winning world series. I don't want a WS win if it means JR takes public money. Plus unless it was structured into the deal there is no guarantee he'll increase spending. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I wonder how many jobs are tied directly or indirectly to the team? How much fans spend when attending the game and the tax dollars generated. That's what's list if he goes off to Nashville. 

Teams with money to spend seem to do better at winning world series. I don't want a WS win if it means JR takes public money. Plus unless it was structured into the deal there is no guarantee he'll increase spending. 

They always site this when asking for public funds, but it almost always turns out bad for the public. The state owes more money now than It did when Soldier Field was renovated. Sure White Sox fans were OK with JR getting his stadium built, but what about those who don’t give 2 shits about baseball or the White Sox? 
I like an earlier post. This guy puts very little effort in trying to win. We were sold a bill of goods that a new stadium would give them the wherewithal to be a sustained success story. Even when given the  ALC, it never happened. There’s no reason to think it would happen if you built him another or spent billions upgrading the current one. The state needs to spend its tax money more wisely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They always site this when asking for public funds, but it almost always turns out bad for the public. The state owes more money now than It did when Soldier Field was renovated. Sure White Sox fans were OK with JR getting his stadium built, but what about those who don’t give 2 shits about baseball or the White Sox? 
I like an earlier post. This guy puts very little effort in trying to win. We were sold a bill of goods that a new stadium would give them the wherewithal to be a sustained success story. Even when given the  ALC, it never happened. There’s no reason to think it would happen if you built him another or spent billions upgrading the current one. The state needs to spend its tax money more wisely.

Before the city or state provides any funding for a new stadium, the White Sox should show they are willing to invest in their team. Other words, no more tanking, no more slashing of payroll. Spend on the farm system, spend on free agents. Why should they get a money-making stadium just so we can see guys like Gavin Sheets play right field?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

The owners of the Tampa Bay rays are paying over $600 million dollars towards their new stadium. The owners of the Oakland/Las Vegas A's are paying millions of dollars towards their new park in Vegas. I would assume in both of those cases the team would own part of the stadium. I would think that same situation would   occur with the new White Sox stadium. JR would have to give some money towards it and I'm sure he would want part ownership of the stadium. I'm hoping this new stadium gets built in the South Loop and I'm also hoping JR stays out of  stadium design business. He was the one who changed the design of the present  park. He wanted another level of suites which gave us that upper deck that everybody  has hated. If he insists on another stadium with a upper deck that nobody wants to sit in he should get a kick in his rear end.

• Thanks 1