Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

On 1/30/2024 at 4:41 PM, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't hard to squint a see a scenario where someone (probably Jerry or Jerry and the authority to some extent) write a check to cover the last $50 million on the old ballpark (or whatever is left by the time a new structure starts) and then keep the existing tax structure in place to finance the new set up.  Jerry gets a pay out and the Mayor gets to go on TV and say no "NEW" money is going to the stadium.

Screenshot_20240131_213942_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240131_213926_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

They had a substantial conversation about the move on Score transition that was forwarded to me. I tend to lean on Dan and Laurence's side about prioritizing the city and neighborhood needs with this major decision, and making sure what replaces the Sox at 35th and Shields is a win win for both the city, and both neighborhoods. Really hoping the city and state leadership hammer out an equitable and wise long term plan for both sites.

I am reserving judgement on everything until we get a lot more details, but so far what I've heard in terms of taxes sounds like the best likely scenario vs. what I feared. Also glad the location makes sense in terms of public transportation, but do agree with LH and DB it's really going to stress traffic in the immediate area. Having to live through that on Damen and Waveland back in the day, I had to plan on gamedays for any driving trips.

I'm glad at least the governor appears to be thoughtful of the taxpayers and process at this stage. The Sox and Jerry will have to step up to the plate to be fair in a way they never had either with the previous stadium, or their management of this club over the past 44 years. Perhaps there is a chance for redemption for all involved. It would be the best case scenario for us as Sox fans, and for the entire City of Chicago, the lifelong home to many of us.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They had a substantial conversation about the move on Score transition that was forwarded to me. I tend to lean on Dan and Laurence's side about prioritizing the city and neighborhood needs with this major decision, and making sure what replaces the Sox at 35th and Shields is a win win for both the city, and both neighborhoods. Really hoping the city and state leadership hammer out an equitable and wise long term plan for both sites.

I am reserving judgement on everything until we get a lot more details, but so far what I've heard in terms of taxes sounds like the best likely scenario vs. what I feared. Also glad the location makes sense in terms of public transportation, but do agree with LH and DB it's really going to stress traffic in the immediate area. Having to live through that on Damen and Waveland back in the day, I had to plan on gamedays for any driving trips.

I'm glad at least the governor appears to be thoughtful of the taxpayers and process at this stage. The Sox and Jerry will have to step up to the plate to be fair in a way they never had either with the previous stadium, or their management of this club over the past 44 years. Perhaps there is a chance for redemption for all involved. It would be the best case scenario for us as Sox fans, and for the entire City of Chicago, the lifelong home to many of us.

The one thing Laurence didn’t mention is the lease. The White Sox basically have to move. It’s essential for them to create more revenue. They will have a ballpark village type setup and that sort of thing is very unlikely at current location. 

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah, it was a painful segment IMO.  I thought he quit being a Sox fan after Benetti left?

Yeah, I think he basically said he didn’t care anymore if they were going to leave for Nashville.  Just a clown take all around and Berstein just as bad.  I do enjoy the two Cubs fans in absolute disbelief that this conversation was even taking place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I think he basically said he didn’t care anymore if they were going to leave for Nashville.  Just a clown take all around and Berstein just as bad.  I do enjoy the two Cubs fans in absolute disbelief that this conversation was even taking place.

Bernstein sounded like a way more biased and jaded asshole than Holmes.  Bernstein only cares what this will do for the city of Chicago and not the White Sox.  Holmes is worried about all the Bridgeport area fans losing the ballpark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Holmes is acting a little like Jason Whitlock…pure contrarian just to provoke.

All the complaints and not much on the numerous possibilities.

Parkins and Spiegel talked about them.  Bernstein and Holmes were definitely more biased due to their JR hate.

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Bernstein sounded like a way more biased and jaded asshole than Holmes.  Bernstein only cares what this will do for the city of Chicago and not the White Sox.  Holmes is worried about all the Bridgeport area fans losing the ballpark.

What an odd sentiment. I’m as jaded about this stupid team as anyone but this is the absolute best thing the org can do for its future health and wellbeing. We can’t go back in time and fix what should have been done 35+ years ago. JR and the ISFA have had decades to turn New Comiskey into a fan destination, and all of the hand wringing about the past solves nothing. I also think it’s the a really good move for the city too. Chicago has never had a downtown baseball team and now has the perfect opportunity to create a new tourist draw while also adding a massive plot of land back into the tax base. It’s a win win IMO. 

Yes, the White Sox should have done things differently in the final years of Old Comiskey, and having a touch of sadness that the team is likely moving away from its home for 100 years is fair. And while I still believe 35th & Shields still could be a viable home with the proper investment around the park, the will just isn’t there to make it happen. Roosevelt & Clark is the best option for the health of this club moving forward. If it is done right, even the most fervent detractors will come around in time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love Bridgeport and hope they stay, but it's not exactly like the neighborhood has rolled out the red carpet for the Sox or anything. Business development certainly has been miniscule for what you'd expect around a major stadium. The Sox don't owe them anything.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Holmes wasn't making much sense.  First he acts like, "its only 2 El stops away, what's the big deal?" and then acts like moving 2 El stops north is abandoning the south side.  This is just on the other side of Chinatown.   

He also said he was uncomfortable how fast this was moving.  How does he know how fast it has moved?  For all we know, they have been discussing this forever. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The one thing Laurence didn’t mention is the lease. The White Sox basically have to move. It’s essential for them to create more revenue. They will have a ballpark village type setup and that sort of thing is very unlikely at current location. 

There is nothing wrong with the stadium after taxpayers fixed several substantial flaws, many of which insisted upon by Jerry during construction. The direction the park is facing is also due to Jerry’s ego and asinine instance of keeping the address 35th and Shields.

What is complete hot garbage is most of the teams and management Jerry has hired over 44 seasons. The White Sox basically have to sell another stadium because Jerry and his toadies and minions have completely fucked up the franchise. A franchise which was more valuable, cost more money, than the Cubs sold at the same exact time.

Jerry did his thing and turned the franchise into a pot of s%*# over the decades. The same exact process he used to turn the Bulls into a pot of s%*# once he pushed out Jordan, another gem Jerry inherited.

Jerry stiff armed the entire neighborhood @Buehrle>Wood, displaced hundreds of homes and created nothing but blocks of asphalt and ugly concrete. Screwed over McCuddy’s, destroyed the neighborhood. Now is the time to right a wrong, and for the city to lead development that will create a long lasting development of businesses and residencies that enhance, not scar, the community.

40 minutes ago, Quin said:

The new stadium would be right around the corner from Manny's, a Binny's and a Portillo's, roughly a 10-15 minute walk.

These are all big wins.

What, 35th Street Red Hots doesn't do it for you? 😆

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Quin said:

The new stadium would be right around the corner from Manny's, a Binny's and a Portillo's, roughly a 10-15 minute walk.

These are all big wins.

Don’t forget the iconic and World Famous White Palace grill at Canal and Roosevelt.

• Like 1

Do you guys think underground parking is possible here or is it too difficult with the river?

When I was at Miami's new ballpark a year or so ago, they had parking garages.  I feel like that would be miserable to leave a game and then be stuck in a parking garage when everyone is leaving at the same time.  

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There is nothing wrong with the stadium after taxpayers fixed several substantial flaws, many of which insisted upon by Jerry during construction. The direction the park is facing is also due to Jerry’s ego and asinine instance of keeping the address 35th and Shields.

What is complete hot garbage is most of the teams and management Jerry has hired over 44 seasons. The White Sox basically have to sell another stadium because Jerry and his toadies and minions have completely fucked up the franchise. A franchise which was more valuable, cost more money, than the Cubs sold at the same exact time.

Jerry did his thing and turned the franchise into a pot of s%*# over the decades. The same exact process he used to turn the Bulls into a pot of s%*# once he pushed out Jordan, another gem Jerry inherited.

Jerry stiff armed the entire neighborhood @Buehrle>Wood, displaced hundreds of homes and created nothing but blocks of asphalt and ugly concrete. Screwed over McCuddy’s, destroyed the neighborhood. Now is the time to right a wrong, and for the city to lead development that will create a long lasting development of businesses and residencies that enhance, not scar, the community.

The White Sox owe nothing to the city and Bridgeport.  The development of the area is up to them not the White Sox.  

You point out blocks of asphalt but that is a draw there, the parking.  Yes it's over priced but there are plenty of options.  That to me is the main drawback from the south loop site.  Adding bars and restaurants in that area doesn't work as you get in your car and leave that site.  Other then the big 10-15 games a year you're not getting the crowd.  Wrigley works because of the neighborhood.  The south loop could as well and extend and draw from UIC, PIlsen, etc.   This was what the new ball park was to do.  Move the city improvement seen on the northside from the mid 90s on to the south.

The loop needs a renaissance and that needs to come from well thought out individuals not what is currently running the city.  

The Bears could easily move to Bridgeport.  Plenty of land and easy to get to.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Do you guys think underground parking is possible here or is it too difficult with the river?

When I was at Miami's new ballpark a year or so ago, they had parking garages.  I feel like that would be miserable to leave a game and then be stuck in a parking garage when everyone is leaving at the same time.  

River, Metra tracks, clubhouses / training rooms, etc, I don't think underground parking would be feasible. If anything residential is built in conjunction, those parking needs would probably come first. IDK.

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I love Bridgeport and hope they stay, but it's not exactly like the neighborhood has rolled out the red carpet for the Sox or anything. Business development certainly has been miniscule for what you'd expect around a major stadium. The Sox don't owe them anything.

Bridgeport like Reinsdorf has done very little for the White Sox. It is hardly a draw for the team.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

River, Metra tracks, clubhouses / training rooms, etc, I don't think underground parking would be feasible. If anything residential is built in conjunction, those parking needs would probably come first. IDK.

I think some amount of underground parking beneath the next buildings is feasible and probably pays for itself here as it would also support the rest of the development on the site. I’m sure JR would be excited to own that. However, it’s going to be naturally limited on site just by the nature of it being surface streets. It probably will happen in some form.