Sox select John Schriffen to be TV PbP announcer

fathom

55 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Harry: I've been broadcasting Idaho State athletes (Big Sky Conference) on radio and on ESPN+ since 1995. Have done football, men's and women's basketball (have three championship rings from WBB to show for it!), volleyball and softball.

Have done over 460 games alone just for WBB. 

Started in the sports media in 1978, worked 14 years in TV sports in Lexington, Kentucky, Monroe, Louisiana and here in S.E. Idaho. 

Guess you can say I've been around awhile. 

That's awesome congrats.  I wasn't aware that was your role out there.  Ignorance led me to believe that at one time you were in the rodeo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kba said:

Schriffen's baseball play-by-play:  2021 Little League World Series on ESPN:

We'll see over the course of a season but in the few minutes I watched of that he let the game breath a bit more than Jason and I like that. You can't call a full season of home town baseball like you're on a national Sunday broadcast. Doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

I hadn't heard of this guy until he was announced as a finalist a week or so ago.  Willing to give him a chance though.  I wasn't a huge fan of Jason at first - especially as a huge Hawk fan (even though I knew it was time) - but Jason grew on me.  His style was not my favorite, but I could appreciate the talent.  The disparity in talent from Jason to a booth like the Twins which is the team I watch the 2nd most of is significant. 

Wish him well, and interested to see how he meshes with the stone pony. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Can we all agree we don't need SOX MATH???

13 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

And the stupid Nationwide jingle.

I would fully expect some sort of "Schtick he does that winds up annoying a lot of people but is surprisingly effective because you talk about it". 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

I bet you eat your burgers with ketchup as the only topping and find paprika spicy.

I like the combination of hot and sweet paprika that my wife uses on the rub for pulled pork.

• Fire 1

Sure hope this guy doesn't do what annoyed the big announcer-posters here last time like "ask questions" and "make a joke" and "talk"

Anyhoo good luck to this person who will be speaking to an empty void this summer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Sure hope this guy doesn't do what annoyed the big announcer-posters here last time like "ask questions" and "make a joke" and "talk"

Anyhoo good luck to this person who will be speaking to an empty void this summer.

"Steve how was your weekend?"

874f395459e3180a5b511053e8689d38.jpg

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

This guy has no chance. Even if he is awesome, at least 25% will hate him.  And people want the truth. The team is going to suck. JR and Brooks don't allow them to tell the truth. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This guy has no chance. Even if he is awesome, at least 25% will hate him.  And people want the truth. The team is going to suck. JR and Brooks don't allow them to tell the truth. 

"Sox down 4-0 in the 9th having only scored 12 runs over the previous 23 games. Anyway Steve what steak house you have planned for tonight?"

Soxtalk " OH GOD TALK ABOUT THE GAME LOSER"

• Haha 1

He figures to be Reinsdorf's turd-polishing minion. Just my guess. Has he ever been to GRF? No connection with anything local of importance to me. Get the cue cards ready.

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

He figures to be Reinsdorf's turd-polishing minion. Just my guess. Has he ever been to GRF? No connection with anything local of importance to me. Get the cue cards ready.

Hire an underwhelming but local guy? BAD

Hire a seemingly talented and qualified but non local guy? ALSO BAD

• Like 1

He better never get happy OR mad. And enough with the jokes, we don’t need that. But hopefully he’s really funny. The most important thing is he needs to clearly support the team on the broadcast, so he can relate with the fans. But definitely don’t want him to be a homer. He needs to be bold and progressive, but always stay in his lane and never rock the boat. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

He better never get happy OR mad. And enough with the jokes, we don’t need that. But hopefully he’s really funny. The most important thing is he needs to clearly support the team on the broadcast, so he can relate with the fans. But definitely don’t want him to be a homer. He needs to be bold and progressive, but always stay in his lane and ever rock the boat. 

And never, ever, never sing.

Ever.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When it came down to the final 3, I thought Connor had a 99.9% chance at the job.

I know the media loves Conner, but he would have been a safe choice and so would have the Red Sox guy.  Schriffen at least brings an energy that is very much different than your typical baseball announcer.

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s not a safe hire, which is honestly nice IMO.

I think he's safe enough because he's relatively unknown and isn't established per se, so they think they can control him. Who knows if he'll be any good at the talking about the game during the game part.

• Like 1