Gregory Santos Traded to Mariners for P Prelander Berroa, OF Zach DeLoach and 69th pick

DirtySox

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That’s likely as they had 30 last year.

Maldonado has power, had more four more home runs than Grandal over his four years with the White Sox, and 17 more over the past two seasons (30 vs. 13).

Is he the starter or is it Stassi? Dude is 37. Figured he'd be more of a backup/mentor role.

50 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Is he the starter or is it Stassi? Dude is 37. Figured he'd be more of a backup/mentor role.

He was basically a full time starter last year because Dusty loved him. How much he'll be able to take I don't know, maybe he gets hurt, but if he's healthy my guess is he's the starter overall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'll really be surpassed if Pedro doesn't give him the bulk of the starts, until age catches up with him.

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Not sure if serious

Why would that not be serious? That's about what the 3 hit last year. Am I supposed to pretend all Sox players will slash .000/.000/.000 except Luis Robert, who will walk every time up?

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I'll really be surpassed if Pedro doesn't give him the bulk of the starts, until age catches up with him.

This hasn’t already happened?

Who would be the second oldest starting catcher in the majors receiving at least 90-100+ starts?

• Heads22 unpinned this topic

Didn’t see it reported elsewhere, but Lane Ramsay was DFAed as a result of this trade.  I will say the 40 man roster is much better balanced than it was entering the season:

• SP: 9
  • RP: 13
  • CA: 3
  • IF: 7
  • OF: 5
  • 1B/DH: 3

Regarding the 40 man roster, we’re starting to run out of obvious fat to cut.  On the position player side, Sheets seems like the only guy with a real risk of being DFAed.  Right now, his ability to backup Vaughn at 1B is the only thing keeping him on the roster as DeLoach could serve as a LH bat off the bench while also providing much better OF defense.  My guess is Sheets makes the Opening Day roster but is given an incredibly short leash.  That means if/when Pillar is added it will have to come on the pitching side.

Speaking of that, I’m guessing Martin & Foster both begin the year on the 60 day DL, which would open up two 40 man spots.  Pillar will eventually get one of those spots and the other will likely go to a RP of some sorts.  I fully expect Leasure to force his way onto the Opening Day roster, so that would likely eat up the other spot.  And given how few bullpen spots are locked down, I think at least one, if not two NRI guys could make it.  To make room, I feel like Peralta would be the most obvious candidate, but Banks & even Lambert (no options) could be in the mix.  I do think Speas will safe given his ceiling.

Where things will get really interesting is when the young guys start pushing their way onto the 26/40 man roster.  Who gets cut once Montgomery is ready for his shot?  Who makes room for Nastrini?  Obviously there will be a lot of trades come July, but I could easily see these force the issue before then and see a lot more activity than usual in May or June.  The team will likely suck but at least there will be a lot of roster action.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn’t see it reported elsewhere, but Lane Ramsay was DFAed as a result of this trade.  I will say the 40 man roster is much better balanced than it was entering the season:

• SP: 9
  • RP: 13
  • CA: 3
  • IF: 7
  • OF: 5
  • 1B/DH: 3

Regarding the 40 man roster, we’re starting to run out of obvious fat to cut.  On the position player side, Sheets seems like the only guy with a real risk of being DFAed.  Right now, his ability to backup Vaughn at 1B is the only thing keeping him on the roster as DeLoach could serve as a LH bat off the bench while also providing much better OF defense.  My guess is Sheets makes the Opening Day roster but is given an incredibly short leash.  That means if/when Pillar is added it will have to come on the pitching side.

Speaking of that, I’m guessing Martin & Foster both begin the year on the 60 day DL, which would open up two 40 man spots.  Pillar will eventually get one of those spots and the other will likely go to a RP of some sorts.  I fully expect Leasure to force his way onto the Opening Day roster, so that would likely eat up the other spot.  And given how few bullpen spots are locked down, I think at least one, if not two NRI guys could make it.  To make room, I feel like Peralta would be the most obvious candidate, but Banks & even Lambert (no options) could be in the mix.  I do think Speas will safe given his ceiling.

Where things will get really interesting is when the young guys start pushing their way onto the 26/40 man roster.  Who gets cut once Montgomery is ready for his shot?  Who makes room for Nastrini?  Obviously there will be a lot of trades come July, but I could easily see these force the issue before then and see a lot more activity than usual in May or June.  The team will likely suck but at least there will be a lot of roster action.

Just to note, just because a guy was claimed at some point doesn't mean the team won't try to pass him later. There's always guys constantly waived and claimed throughout an offseason. Outside of Speas, off the top of my head, I'm not sure we even claimed anyone other than him. But yeah, he could be safe.

Agree that Martin and Foster likely get added to the 60-day IL.

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just to note, just because a guy was claimed at some point doesn't mean the team won't try to pass him later. There's always guys constantly waived and claimed throughout an offseason. Outside of Speas, off the top of my head, I'm not sure we even claimed anyone other than him. But yeah, he could be safe.

Agree that Martin and Foster likely get added to the 60-day IL.

No doubt, but I think there are reasons to be excited Speas.  This is from FG’s latest top prospect list for us that has Speas as 40+ FV prospect and 11th overall in the system:

11. Alex Speas, SIRP

Drafted: 2nd Round, 2016 from McEachern HS (GA) (TEX)
Age 25.9 Height 6′ 3″ Weight 225 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40+
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Cutter Command Sits/Tops
65/65 60/60 70/70 20/20 97-100 / 102

Speas stepped away from baseball for a year and, frustrated and constantly beset by injury, nearly hung it up at age 23. Now almost 26, he’s coming off another inconsistent but exciting season after remaking his repertoire and working out at Tread Athletics. For a while Speas was generating nearly twice as many whiffs as he was balls in play, which is absurd at any level, let alone at Double-A. After the Rangers promoted him, Speas’ wildness cropped up again and he walked 19% of hitters at Triple-A Round Rock across 28.1 innings. The Rangers DFA’d him to make room on the 40-man for Matt Bush, who was returning from injury, and the White Sox claimed him off waivers during the postseason. Even though Speas’ fastball is still topping out at an incredible 102 mph, he has begun utilizing a cutter-heavy approach because his feel for throwing that pitch for strikes is much better than any other. Those cutters tilt in anywhere from 89-95 mph with variable shape, and it can be tough to discern some of them from Speas’ 85-87 mph sliders, which he throws on occasion. The velocity gains that Speas’ lanky frame portended in high school have come to fruition, but because of his fastball’s underlying traits and his lack of control, his pitches are only getting swinging strikes as an average rate. The White Sox are in position to give him low stakes big league reps for the next couple of seasons to see how things go. It’s possible Speas will polish his elite arm strength enough to be a very good reliever over time, but initially he’s probably going to be frustratingly wild. Even at his age, he’s a prospect of extreme variance who could be Tayron Guerrero or could turn into a late-inning weapon.

I still see 30 guys on the 40 man roster the Sox can either flip, let walk as FAs or DFA, and beyond any possible trade returns it won’t matter in terms of the next possible competitive team.

These are the 10 with possible future value in 2026 and beyond.

• Prelander Berroa (23)
  • Dylan Cease (28)
  • Garrett Crochet (24)
  • Jake Eder (25)
  • Michael Kopech (27)
  • Bryan Ramos (21)
  • Luis Robert Jr. (26)
  • Jose Rodriguez (22)
  • Lenin Sosa (24)
  • Andrew Vaughn (25)
Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I still see 30 guys on the 40 man roster the Sox can either flip, let walk as FAs or DFA, and beyond any possible trade returns it won’t matter in terms of the next possible competitive team.

• Prelander Berroa (23)
  • Dylan Cease (28)
  • Garrett Crochet (24)
  • Jake Eder (25)
  • Michael Kopech (27)
  • Bryan Ramos (21)
  • Luis Robert Jr. (26)
  • Jose Rodriguez (22)
  • Lenin Sosa (24)
  • Andrew Vaughn (25)

Assuming they don't sign a veteran backup IF, is Lenyn currently the backup?

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

• Prelander Berroa (23)
  • Dylan Cease (28)
  • Garrett Crochet (24)
  • Jake Eder (25)
  • Michael Kopech (27)
  • Bryan Ramos (21)
  • Luis Robert Jr. (26)
  • Jose Rodriguez (22)
  • Lenin Sosa (24)
  • Andrew Vaughn (25)

Not going to lie....I just looked at the current 40 man roster and had to look up who the hell Braden Shewmake was. Ah, one of the pickups from Atlanta for Mr Bummer.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wegner said:

Not going to lie....I just looked at the current 40 man roster and had to look up who the hell Braden Shewmake was. Ah, one of the pickups from Atlanta for Mr Bummer.

I'm still not convinced he's a real person.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Assuming they don't sign a veteran backup IF, is Lenyn currently the backup?

There are at least a half dozen spots on the 26 man roster which are open including this one, which is fine.

All I want is if Sosa or other guys under 27 are on the roster, they play 4-5 games out of six each week, or are sent down to play regularly if they need more work and are struggling and ruining any confidence.

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There are at least a half dozen spots on the 26 man roster which are open including this one, which is fine.

All I want is if Sosa or other guys under 27 are on the roster, they play 4-5 games out of six each week, or are sent down to play regularly if they need more work and are struggling and ruining any confidence.

Shewmake is the only real competition for Sosa for the backup spot. Sosa doesn't really have much more to prove in the minors IMO. Not sure he will ever be a legitimate starter option, but a weak side platoon, backup IF is still valuable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Shewmake is the only real competition for Sosa for the backup spot. Sosa doesn't really have much more to prove in the minors IMO. Not sure he will ever be a legitimate starter option, but a weak side platoon, backup IF is still valuable.

Yeah I bet he starts off in a platoon (if he makes the team) with Lopez. He could have a chance at more playing time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

West Coast White Sox. They've got a projected 85 wins and are making win now trades for relievers with injury concerns in order to perhaps squeak into a wild card. Thank god we found a team as dumb as we are to make a deal with.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I still can’t believe the Mariners paid for this guy, but yes credit to Getz for taking advantage of them.

Yes, he had a great season last year but he ended it with an injury (elbow inflammation).  Surprised to see a team give up a good deal of talent and a pick for a guy who was still recovering from this same elbow issue over the winter.  This article is a couple weeks old but still applies.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/the-white-sox-may-have-fleeced-the-mariners/

Edited by WhiteSox2023