ST Thread

pcq

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Fangraphs also noted that Gonzalez put in alot of work in the fall as did Jimmy. Hopefully he has a good showing this year in the minors.

Many times it takes true failure to learn and change. Hopefully he has. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He cannot start opening day as they are facing LHP Skubal, unless they are going to go with 5th OF guy’s .422 OPS vs. LHP.

Since Colas, Sheets, Benintendi and DeLoach are also LHB, Pillar or Sosa will (or at least should) be the OD and regular RF against LHP.

Getz is on the road to Hahnville with that Mena trade.

• Paper Bag 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He cannot start opening day as they are facing LHP Skubal, unless they are going to go with 5th OF guy’s .422 OPS vs. LHP.

Since Colas, Sheets, Benintendi and DeLoach are also LHB, Pillar or Sosa will (or at least should) be the OD and regular RF against LHP.

Getz is on the road to Hahnville with that Mena trade.

There us an issue with playing platoon baseball, the players can never improve. He has a grand total of 102 plate appearances in the MLB. There is a possibility he improves if given some experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There us an issue with playing platoon baseball, the players can never improve. He has a grand total of 102 plate appearances in the MLB. There is a possibility he improves if given some experience. 

Fletcher needs to sit vs. most LHP to not destroy his confidence at the MLB level, at least initially. He shouldn't just be handed the job, same as Colas or anyone else with zero proven MLB track record.

Nomar Mazara is like Babe Ruth in comparison. Billy Hamilton is far better vs. LHP.

Yesterday

• Nomar Mazara (Through Age 27) 684 Games, 2690 PA .729 OPS, 85 HR (.633 OPS vs. LHP 648 PA)
  • Billy Hamilton (Through Age 32) 951 Games, 3285 PA .617 OPS, 24 HR (.598 OPS vs. LHP 923 PA)
  • Leury Garcia (Through Age 31) 701 Games, 2402 PA .644  OPS, 34 HR (.670 OPS vs. LHP 704 PA)
  • Adam Eaton (Through Age 32) 914 Games, 3910 PA .763 OPS, 66 HR ( .682 OPS vs. LHP 926 PA)
  • Brian Goodwin (Through Age 30) 429 Games, 1395 PA .757 OPS, 50 HR (.688 OPS vs. LHP 293 PA)
  • Adam Engel (Through Age 31) 528 Games, 1546 PA, .628 OPS, 30 HR (.636 OPS vs. LHP 474 PA)

Today

• Gavin Sheets (Through Age 27) 296 Games, 933 PA .690 OPS, 36 HR (.332 OPS vs. LHP 84 PA)
  • Dominic Fletcher (Through Age 25) 28 Games, 102 PA .791 OPS, 2 HR (.422 OPS vs. LHP 30 PA)
  • Oscar Colas (Through Age 24) 75 Games, 263 PA .571 OPS, 5 HR (.531 OPS vs. LHP 63 PA)
  • Kevin Pillar (Through Age 34) 1114 Games. 4052 PA .702 OPS, 106 HR (.769 OPS vs. LHP 1198 PA)

I'd like the Sox' to break camp with this roster, assuming no other major signings, with Sosa starting 4-5 games a week across 2B/SS/3B regularly if he looks ready to open the season at the MLB level. Assumes the Crochet SP experiment does not translate into the season.

vs. RH: LF A. Benintendi; 1B A. Vaughn; CF L. Robert Jr.; 3B Y. Moncada; DH E. Jimenez; RF D. Fletcher; SS P. DeJong; 2B N. Lopez;  C Stassi/Maldonado

Bench: C Stassi/Maldonado; INF L. Sosa; INF/OF D. Mendick; OF K. Pillar

vs. LH: LF A. Benintendi; 1B A. Vaughn; CF L. Robert Jr.; 3B Y. Moncada; DH E. Jimenez; RF K. Pillar; SS P. DeJong; 2B N. Lopez;  C Stassi/Maldonado

Bench: C Stassi/Maldonado; INF L. Sosa; INF/OF D. Mendick; OF D. Fletcher

Rotation: D. Cease; M. Kopech; E. Fedde; M. Soroka; C. Flexen

Bullpen: CL G. Crochet; SU J. Brebbia; J. Chavez; MR: D. Garcia; S. Drohan; T. Hill; B. Shaw Swing T. Toussaint.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
Forgot about Shaw
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Fangraphs also noted that Gonzalez put in alot of work in the fall as did Jimmy. Hopefully he has a good showing this year in the minors.

That is a promising development. I have been hard on the kid, but he controls the zone, so if he has made swing adjustments, maybe he can live up to his SEC pedigree. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Hopefully his wrist is 100%. If he can get to 15 HRs along with maintaining a good AVG and OBP, we might be able to unload his contract (or most of it) at the deadline.

My collection of 'flip at the deadline' posts is exhaustive.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not sure if I love this or hate this. If they can get robert to stop sliding head first so much great. Otherwise boy, bit late to be teaching the pros about sliding, amirite?

No. You should always, always, always be practicing correct form on even the basic things. That's literally what spring training is for.

We have seen in vivid detail what happens when you drill on basic things to death (2012 White Sox) and when your manager goes to sleep and you don't practice these things (2013 White Sox-on).

• Like 1

I'm off tomorrow, and after some work around the house, I'm camping my ass on the couch and watching baseball.  I used to not give a damn about spring training, but the last couple years my interest has increased.  And even though it hasn't been a bad winter at all, it has seemed to last forever.  I'm ready for spring and bitching about White Sox baseball.

• Like 1