ST Thread

pcq

10 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I'm guessing they plan to carry 9 relievers until they need the 5th starter spot. Shaw has a rubber arm and doesn't seem to mind hanging out in Charlotte until he's needed again when you cut him for Nastrini (or whoever) in a couple weeks.

11 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I was going to say this earlier that I still expected Shaw to make the roster despite his poor spring because his rubber arm makes up for Grifol’s poor bullpen management.  Grifol loves Shaw because he can pitch so many consecutive days.

12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why?

His 11+ ERA this spring isn't enough to cut him?

I think it is what Autumn said.  Shaw makes the roster as the extra reliever until Nastrini is needed.  You can DFA him in a week or two when Nastrini starts, and Shaw very likely clears and accept an assignment to Charlotte and you don't lose any depth. If you do that with the other experienced NRIs (Knebel, Cousins, Leone, Barlow, Anderson, Woodford, Kuhl, Keller), the risk of them rejecting the assignment is probably much higher, so you're actually losing depth going that route. 

I would actually do exactly as the Sox are here, I think it is the right move (assuming Nastrini doesn't make OD roster). 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Here, let me put on my eternal optimist hat that the Sox have trampled into the dirt:

• Crochet: Crazy stuff, finally get to see him start.
  • Soroka: Good when healthy.
  • Fedde: KBO Fedde sounds like a good comeback story.
  • Nastrini: Turning Lance Lynn into a quality starter with quality stuff is a fun follow.

Realist hat that the Sox have given me:

• Crochet has never been stretched out
  • Soroka is pitching Moncada. They both had great 2019s. The difference is that Moncada also had a good 2021.
  • Fedde: He was the MVP of a league with AAish talent.
  • Nastrini: God, please don't rush him. If we're throwing a guy with 19 IP and a 4 ERA in AAA into the mix immediately, well, idk what that means for the much vaunted "depth" that has been assembled.
  • Chris Flexen didn't belong on the other list so he goes here.

I read the last time Crochet pitched 4 innings in a game was May  2019.

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it is what Autumn said.  Shaw makes the roster as the extra reliever until Nastrini is needed.  You can DFA him in a week or two when Nastrini starts, and Shaw very likely clears and accept an assignment to Charlotte and you don't lose any depth. If you do that with the other experienced NRIs (Knebel, Cousins, Leone, Barlow, Anderson, Woodford, Kuhl, Keller), the risk of them rejecting the assignment is probably much higher, so you're actually losing depth going that route. 

I would actually do exactly as the Sox are here, I think it is the right move (assuming Nastrini doesn't make OD roster). 

Gaming the roster slotting here is a pretty important deal if you want to keep these guys around.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're now arguing it was a *good* move (or at least good process) to offer a 3 million dollar bonus (because it didn't involve a guarantee or a roster spot) to a player that at 35, has absolutely zero upside and should the make the 26 man would take ABs away from players that might actually be on the next decent Sox team.

edit

Edited by WestEddy

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why aren't they keeping Nastrini down for service time?

It would be dumb to have him on the OD roster. It's not like they are going to win anything either way.

Because they honestly believe they will win games? And think they are way smarter than they really are?

IDK.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why aren't they keeping Nastrini down for service time?

It would be dumb to have him on the OD roster. It's not like they are going to win anything either way.

Especially now with the low but nonzero chance at extra draft picks, combined with how the whole org looks, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about service time.

I am getting more bent out of shape about the fact that he really doesn't seem to have earned it. ERA over 4 at AA all year last year, including once traded, 4 starts at AAA, ERA over 4. This feels like a guy being rushed to the big leagues by default, because there's an open spot, not because he's actually been good enough to earn it.

• Like 1

So, let me get this straight. Now everyone is screaming that the Sox should leave Nastrini off the roster to screw him out of a year's service time. And when they bring him up in a week, are all of the same people going to be posting "The White Sox Way!!" and screaming about how it didn't make sense to leave him off the OD roster? 

2 funny. 

• Hawk 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Especially now with the low but nonzero chance at extra draft picks, combined with how the whole org looks, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about service time.

I am getting more bent out of shape about the fact that he really doesn't seem to have earned it. ERA over 4 at AA all year last year, including once traded, 4 starts at AAA, ERA over 4. This feels like a guy being rushed to the big leagues by default, because there's an open spot, not because he's actually been good enough to earn it.

While I don't necessarily agree that Nastrini hasn't "earned it" this spring, this is precisely why I hated moving Kopech to the pen right now.  They should have given him half a dozen starts and see what happens, and if he sucked, then move him to the pen.  They could still throw Woodford or Kuhl to the wolves for a few weeks, I guess.  The Sox haven't formally announced anything yet.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I don't necessarily agree that Nastrini hasn't "earned it" this spring, this is precisely why I hated moving Kopech to the pen right now.  They should have given him half a dozen starts and see what happens, and if he sucked, then move him to the pen.  They could still throw Woodford or Kuhl to the wolves for a few weeks, I guess.  The Sox haven't formally announced anything yet.  

Yeah, that would have been perfect. Give a few starts to Kopech and then hand the ball off to Nastrini.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

So, let me get this straight. Now everyone is screaming that the Sox should leave Nastrini off the roster to screw him out of a year's service time. And when they bring him up in a week, are all of the same people going to be posting "The White Sox Way!!" and screaming about how it didn't make sense to leave him off the OD roster? 

2 funny. 

People: Please don't rush the guy with a 4+ ERA at AA and AAA, especially because you'll be losing a year of service time for a notoriously penny pinching owner.

WestEddy: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Great question.

Service time is a real issue if the player is really good and figures to get a long-term deal offered to him in the future.  Not the case with Nasti

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

2 funny. 

What in the world are you talking about?  Your need to constantly carry water for this org has you spitting more word vomit than Pedro Grifol.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world are you talking about?  Your need to constantly carry water for this org has you spitting more word vomit than Pedro Grifol.

Brooks "West Eddy" Boyer over here...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We have an owner unwilling to pay for pitching unless a young player is dumb enough to sign a JR special extension. 

When we have a promising young pitcher we need to squeeze every year out of him that we can because if he's any good he will leave in FA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Service time is a real issue if the player is really good and figures to get a long-term deal offered to him in the future.  Not the case with Nasti

Huh? Why would service time matter at all if you're intending to lock a player up long term?  That comment makes no sense.

Service time is an issue for any player that projects to be useful to be honest.  Even moreso if the player projects to be a star, though some of the new rules do change that calculus a bit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh? Why would service time matter at all if you're intending to lock a player up long term?  That comment makes no sense.

Service time is an issue for any player that projects to be useful to be honest.  Even moreso if the player projects to be a star, though some of the new rules do change that calculus a bit. 

See, we know that was Hahn's MO.

Getz just DFA'd Pillar and then re-signed him to save a miniscule amount of money.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh, I agree with him. Nastrini doesn't profile as a "play games with service time kind of guy." And besides, it doesn't matter because if he does become a star we wouldn't be keeping him that long anyways.

The issue with it to me is, as its been said a million times already, he hasn't really earned it. And no, I don't think 14 innings in spring training means a guy who has 4 AAA starts has earned an MLB rotation spot.

I would really hate to see him get bombed in his first couple starts and then sent packing, probably not the best for a kids confidence.

• Thanks 1