Sox Sign Mike Moustakas

Heads22

2 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

But they've done it with a lot of players. Releasing them before their contract was out. Luery and Kuechel come to mind, I know there are others.

However, as others have mentioned in this thread, who cares who the manager is this year. Doesn't matter anyways. 

That's because they thought they were still contenders and those guys weren't helping. They know they aren't contenders now and are being ultra cheap this year. It's all about trading the short term pitching guys . Bannister has more to do with that than Grifol. All Grifool  has to do is put them on the mound and not let them get the crap beat out of them if at all possible.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Moncada has a monster year, then hopefully he's tradable at the deadline. Get rid of the money and leave that on someone else.

No way on Earth you extend him, not with a team controlled 1 year option.

Nope, 100000%. Let someone else deal with that, if we're fortunate enough.

52 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Contract year is the motivating factor, I think. 

For sure. If there is any part of Yoan left, that wants to continue playing the game, a contract year will bring it out.

13 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Really wanted to see younger guys this year on the roster and now we are stuck watching declining vets 

I get that but the youth we do have close to "MLB ready" flopped last year. I'd probably prefer to just trot a couple of them out for 600 PA and see what shakes out, but it's hard to say if that would be any better than just getting them some more time down in the minors to learn and grow without the pressure of performing in MLB.

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I get that but the youth we do have close to "MLB ready" flopped last year. I'd probably prefer to just trot a couple of them out for 600 PA and see what shakes out, but it's hard to say if that would be any better than just getting them some more time down in the minors to learn and grow without the pressure of performing in MLB.

Health is an issue for a couple of them. They have to make sure Montgomery and Eder are healthy before being promoted.

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Health is an issue for a couple of them. They have to make sure Montgomery and Eder are healthy before being promoted.

I was thinking more of Colas and Sosa, who could presumably be playing everyday instead of the washed up vets they brought in. There's zero argument for either of those guys you listed starting anywhere near MLB imo.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Neither of those guys count as "close to MLB-ready". You would certainly not try to trot them out for a full big league season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

However, as others have mentioned in this thread, who cares who the manager is this year. Doesn't matter anyways. 

It does if Pedro continues to only call out younger guys while being afraid of veterans.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I just looked at Eder's stats. LOL! Dude could not have had a more White Sox like start to his time here.

FWIW, he was coming back from Tommy John surgery as well as another injury to start the year. I'm totally ok with discounting his performance for last year - yeah great success would have been wonderful, but being back out pitching while healthy was still positive.

This year we should expect and hope and demand for a lot better from him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think that Lenyn Sosa should get a fair shot at starting innings. He's always taken a bit to master a level. The bat's there, he's supposedly got a good glove, so it's sink or swim for him, at this point. I think Colas needs a little more TLC and intensive coaching, and that has to happen in AAA. Jirschele is supposed to be an amazing managerial prospect, so get him and our roving outfield guy working with him to get him to his sink or swim month in the majors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I just looked at Eder's stats. LOL! Dude could not have had a more White Sox like start to his time here.

Yeah, it was rough. I watched several of his starts. At times the stuff would be there and he'd throw strikes. Then his ability to repeat his delivery would disappear, then he'd make an adjustment to throw strikes, but he'd be grooving it.  Long way of saying he was a mess, but there were flashes. What did Poles say? "Scout the flashes."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah, it was rough. I watched several of his starts. At times the stuff would be there and he'd throw strikes. Then his ability to repeat his delivery would disappear, then he'd make an adjustment to throw strikes, but he'd be grooving it.  Long way of saying he was a mess, but there were flashes. What did Poles say? "Scout the flashes."

Courtney Hawkins was great at backflips...

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Least shocking news of the day is Sox have been interested in him for a long time.  

Even less shocking — that the Sox finally signed him five years after first showing interest when he is old and washed-up.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Even less shocking — that the Sox finally signed him five years after first showing interest when he is old and washed-up.

Of course because that way he couldn't ask for top dollar. See...JR wins yet again! 😆

14 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I think that Lenyn Sosa should get a fair shot at starting innings. He's always taken a bit to master a level. The bat's there, he's supposedly got a good glove, so it's sink or swim for him, at this point. I think Colas needs a little more TLC and intensive coaching, and that has to happen in AAA. Jirschele is supposed to be an amazing managerial prospect, so get him and our roving outfield guy working with him to get him to his sink or swim month in the majors. 

Again, Colas is nowhere near “sink or swim”. Sox could park him in AAA for all of 24-25 and wouldn’t need to make an actual decision on him until opening day 2026. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Again, Colas is nowhere near “sink or swim”. Sox could park him in AAA for all of 24-25 and wouldn’t need to make an actual decision on him until opening day 2026. 

Colas turns 26 in a month and a half.  He needs to turn into something quickly.  Otherwise, he’s just another AAAA guy.

Edited by WhiteSox2023