White Sox agree to minor league deal with Brad Keller

Their minor league system needs players as well.  You'd think he was signed and named opening day starter.

These are the guys that pitch in AAA and come up to start when needed.  These are the moves that Hahn did not make when he should have for organizational depth.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

Crazy the Royals have had solid teams their first two decades yet only one BBHOF who played in Kansas City for multiple seasons. plus one potential future BBHOF over their first 50 seasons (1969-2018, the latest BBHOF ballot eligible season). The Athletics have more players during their brief 12 season stint.

Multi-season Kansas City Baseball Hall Of Famers:

• 7 Players + 1 Potential Inductee
  • 2 Players Inducted as Managers
  • 1 Owner

(1) Kansas City Royals (1969-2018)

• In:
    • George Brett (1973-1993)
  • Potential Inductee: 
    • Carlos Beltran (1998-2004) 57.1% vote in 2024 (2nd Ballot)

(1) Kansas City Monarchs (1920-1948) and Kansas City Athletics (1955-1967)

• In:
    • Satchel Paige (Kansas City Monarchs 1940-1947) & (Kansas City Athletics (1965)

(2 + 2) Kansas City Athletics (1955-1967)

• In: 
    • Catfish Hunter (1965-1967)
    • Enos Slaughter (1955-1956).
  • Plus Managerial Inductees:
    • Whitey Herzog (Player 1958-1960 & Manager 1975-1979)
    • Dick Williams (Player 1959-1960).

(3 + 1) Kansas City Monarchs (1920-1948)

• In: 
    • Willard Brown (1937-1944 & 1946-1948 - Served in Military  during 1945 season)
    • Andy Cooper (1928--1929 & 1937-1939)
    • Jose Mendez (1920-1926)
  • Plus Owner Inductee:
    • J. L. Wilkinson (Owner 1920-1948)
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I like how signing Keller gets more responses than Harold saying there were a lot of Yankees scouts at the game yesterday watching Cease.

I have Cease fatigue. You can’t make me care about the Yankee equivalent of Coby Mayo. I’ve been hurt too many times in the past.

57 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think in totality it's been a decent offseason. I just don't think you can judge Getz until he's got a couple years under his belt. It's hard for me to care too much about any and all the moves until we see if he's improved the Sox' overall talent by 2026.

Normally, I'd agree.

But instead of doing a legit job search, JR hired Getz because he could right the ship without taking a year to assess things, so he gets to be judged now.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Normally, I'd agree.

But instead of doing a legit job search, JR hired Getz because he could right the ship without taking a year to assess things, so he gets to be judged now.

Oh my first instinct is 100% "f*** off another nepo / loyalist hire". He will need to earn any benefit of the doubt. I just don't have the energy to be big mad at Getz yet. It's all reserved for the man upstairs smoking his stogies.

• Like 4
  • Hawk 1

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oh my first instinct is 100% "f*** off another nepo / loyalist hire". He will need to earn any benefit of the doubt. I just don't have the energy to be big mad at Getz yet. It's all reserved for the man upstairs smoking his stogies.

It's where I am at, but if all of the crap he signed and traded for plays like crap, he has to take a lot of the blame. This, we were told, was a year that couldn't be wasted.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Normally, I'd agree.

It is fair to judge him for the FO personnel and management/staff hires throughout all levels from Go!, and managing players (promotions, IL lists) throughout the entire organization starting with Spring Training.

However, not even The Great Branch Rickey, primarily remembered today for creating the major league farm system signing Jackie Robinson impressing Jerry Reinsdorf during his Brooklyn grade school years, could do cutting $49M in payroll this offseason plus the roster he inherited.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It is fair to judge him for the FO personnel and management/staff hires throughout all levels from Go!, and managing players (promotions, IL lists) throughout the entire organization starting with Spring Training.

However, not even The Great Branch Rickey, primarily remembered today for creating the major league farm system signing Jackie Robinson impressing Jerry Reinsdorf during his Brooklyn grade school years, could do cutting $49M in payroll this offseason plus the roster he inherited.

Branch Rickey probably wouldn't be easily swayed by a player's agent going "he really wants to play hard and earn a spot" like Getz was with Moustakas.

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's where I am at, but if all of the crap he signed and traded for plays like crap, he has to take a lot of the blame. This, we were told, was a year that couldn't be wasted.

At the same time, there’s some credit due here. There’s an owner who went on a rant about how this year couldn’t be wasted, and a GM who - if he followed that instruction - would demolish several future seasons, in an all too familiar pattern. So, aside from a handful of hopefully minor moves, the GM ignored that rant and did what was best for the franchise.

No win now moves. Colson is still here, Quero is still here, Noah is still here, Nastrini is still here. Bummer is gone. Santos was amazingly turned into something valuable despite his injury. Crochet is even being given a chance to turn into a starter.

Somehow, the owner went on a rant about the importance of this year and the GM either convinced him to think long term or recognized that he’s so out of touch that a bunch of former Royals backups will be something he interprets as an attempt to win this year.

We will see if any of the riskier moves backfire or pay off, but there were few of them, and none of them should seriously threaten 2026, despite an owner wanting to throw away 2026. For that, credit is due.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At the same time, there’s some credit due here. There’s an owner who went on a rant about how this year couldn’t be wasted, and a GM who - if he followed that instruction - would demolish several future seasons, in an all too familiar pattern. So, aside from a handful of hopefully minor moves, the GM ignored that rant and did what was best for the franchise.

No win now moves. Colson is still here, Quero is still here, Noah is still here, Nastrini is still here. Bummer is gone. Santos was amazingly turned into something valuable despite his injury. Crochet is even being given a chance to turn into a starter.

Somehow, the owner went on a rant about the importance of this year and the GM either convinced him to think long term or recognized that he’s so out of touch that a bunch of former Royals backups will be something he interprets as an attempt to win this year.

We will see if any of the riskier moves backfire or pay off, but there were few of them, and none of them should seriously threaten 2026, despite an owner wanting to throw away 2026. For that, credit is due.

This is where I'm at. Chris Getz didn't say they were competing this year, Reinsdorf did. I'd like to think Getz looked at the situation and said, "Yeah we are punting this year."

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

But also nobody you could confidently say as of today they would surely be on the 2027 Sox roster with any level of confidence.

Maybe Montgomery.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But also nobody you could confidently say as of today they would surely be on the 2027 Sox roster with any level of confidence.

Maybe Montgomery.

But as of now there’s enough talent in the system that you’d also be surprised if it was only Montgomery. They should get more than that. If they don’t, that’s a different indictment, on the coaching staff he brought in - keeping “Sticky stuff” Katz and Grifol doesn’t raise confidence but we need time to evaluate that. That talent may also not be enough for a division contender, but you can’t wash it away like this.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But as of now there’s enough talent in the system that you’d also be surprised if it was only Montgomery. They should get more than that. If they don’t, that’s a different indictment, on the coaching staff he brought in - keeping “Sticky stuff” Katz and Grifol doesn’t raise confidence but we need time to evaluate that. That talent may also not be enough for a division contender, but you can’t wash it away like this.

I mean...we know it will likely be at least 7-8 guys.

Not sure how many will actually deserve it, though.

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

Question:

How many of our Royals were part of that "fight everything that moves" Royals team? Obviously Pedro and Keller were.

So...culture?

Tired: Change the game

Wired: Respect the game

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Tired: Change the game

Wired: Respect the game

We lose the best because of jail.

Flip a bat? Jail. Run too hard? Jail. Swing on 3-0? Believe it or not, jail.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pcq said:

The bottom four lineup slots are a galactic black hole. The offense is scary bad. 

If Robert, Moncada, and Eloy are all top ten in MVP voting, the Sox will have a league average offense.