White Sox sign Robbie Grossman to minors deal w/ invite to ML camp

• Sleepy Harold changed the title to White Sox sign Robbie Grossman to minors deal w/ invite to ML camp
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Chicago Castoffs with another monumental acquisition.

We are many disgraceful things, but at least the Sox were never named the Chicago Orphans.

Dumbest name in sports history.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Chicago Castoffs with another monumental acquisition.

He's probably just as good as any other position player Getz acquired and he couldn't get a deal until Spring Training was about over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Career .725 OPS, so not horrible, but also not anything to celebrate.  I don’t really get it, but they have committed to dumpster diving for nearly washed up marginal players, so it is on brand.

wasn't one of the biggest complaints about last season that there was no minor league depth? every major league team will deal with injuries and the White Sox were historically bad last season in terms of their call-ups. I'm reminded of this fangraphs article which shows that the Sox opening day roster compiled over 100% of the team's total WAR. as in, the call-ups and trade acquisitions produced negative WAR.

with that in mind, I don't see how it could be viewed as a bad thing for a team to sign a player to a minor league deal who hit .730ish OPS and 10 homers last season. it's sort of like, why wouldn't you do that? 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

wasn't one of the biggest complaints about last season that there was no minor league depth? every major league team will deal with injuries and the White Sox were historically bad last season in terms of their call-ups. I'm reminded of this fangraphs article which shows that the Sox opening day roster compiled over 100% of the team's total WAR. as in, the call-ups and trade acquisitions produced negative WAR.

with that in mind, I don't see how it could be viewed as a bad thing for a team to sign a player to a minor league deal who hit .730ish OPS and 10 homers last season. it's sort of like, why wouldn't you do that? 

Part of the problem with many of these guys is that if you don't call them up early in the year, they're likely to ask for and be granted their release. The White Sox are such a mess that right now Grossman has a decent shot at a starting OF spot, but you can't call up all of the guys they've signed, there's not enough space for them. Where are they actually playing these guys, how do you decide in the next 7 days if Robbie Grossman is ready to go? 

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Part of the problem with many of these guys is that if you don't call them up early in the year, they're likely to ask for and be granted their release. The White Sox are such a mess that right now Grossman has a decent shot at a starting OF spot, but you can't call up all of the guys they've signed, there's not enough space for them. Where are they actually playing these guys, how do you decide in the next 7 days if Robbie Grossman is ready to go? 

Well Moose and Pillar were just released and I would bet Grossman is going to Charlotte for the reasons you just gave.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well Moose and Pillar were just released and I would bet Grossman is going to Charlotte for the reasons you just gave.

Well this makes a fair amount more sense then.