2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It sneaks up on you. At 35 I never noticed anything, at 40 yea, pissing every 90 minutes in the morning after coffee and certain days it's just like every 90 minutes all day. I've done a lot of research on it and there's not much accepted science on it. Some people think it's related to emotional issues in middle aged men, so as regular posters on a baseball forum we're all predisposed. 

Weird topic but now that u mention it ... I gave up coffee about 8 months ago cause I faced a schedule with a ton of travel and frankly I wanted to see if I'd be able to go less. You take a 2.5 hour plane ride it'd be nice to not have to get up especially if you have no aisle seat. You drive 4 hours with other people and you do not want to have to stop more than mabe once.  You get in an uber for a 20 minute ride and you certainly don't want to have to find a bathroom cause u just chugged some water or coffee.

I will say having no coffee cold turkey did help reduce the need to hit the bathroom. I worship coffee, just love it, but now don't drink it. It's a good trade off. I don't need to find a starbucks to avoid a coffeeless headache and don't have to race to the bathroom as much at inopportune times.

However, don't quite understand why most nights I have to get up a lot to go to the bathroom. Truly it's annoying. If it is emotional issues I could see that cause I am a wreck as in Veeck. Peace out.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

I’m hoping the Sox place Crochet on the IL after every few starts to preserve his arm, so he can last the whole season. The Dodgers would do this to lessen the load on their young arms and often injured pitchers like Kershaw/May.

The Sox have acquired so much pitching depth since last season’s trade deadline that they can easily pluck someone from the 40 man to replace Crochet for a start or two.

14 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I’m hoping the Sox place Crochet on the IL after every few starts to preserve his arm, so he can last the whole season. The Dodgers would do this to lessen the load on their young arms and often injured pitchers like Kershaw/May.

The Sox have acquired so much pitching depth since last season’s trade deadline that they can easily pluck someone from the 40 man to replace Crochet for a start or two.

Think again.  Getz is riding Crochet to the playoffs.  Just wait until this lineup awakens!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Is that legal?

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The best part was the 3 hours of tailgating, which was longer than the actual game. Significantly.

2 Hour 10 Minute game and Rob Manfred still has umps calling out players for being 1 second late to the batters box.  

Stepping over dollars to chase pennies.

Edited by DFAthewave69420
Forgot sentence
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Is that legal?

No, a player can file a grievance if the IL is misused, and a GM can face discipline, though this seems to be netted out selectively like player suspensions. See the curious case of Billy Eppler for more details.

https://theathletic.com/5264025/2024/02/09/mlb-suspends-billy-eppler/

7 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Pretty sure this would fall under manipulation of the IL and MLB could nail them on it. Crochet still has options anyway. If they need to skip a few starts there are ways to do it w/o bending the rules. 

I only got to watch few innings here and there while at work, but my god I think I saw a record for swinging at pitches out of the zone. Some of our hitters look absolutely lost up there. Hope it didn't look that way the whole game. 

Not throwing any shade on Vaughn though. The at bat I did see, there were two horribly called strikes on him. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Meanwhile, Stone was calling him a wizard behind the plate today.  Goodness, who knew that age catches up with baseball players, and especially catchers?

Stone also got the memo. Not only is the team abysmal, the broadcast will be insufferable all damn year too. 

• Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, Slayer12 said:

I only got to watch few innings here and there while at work, but my god I think I saw a record for swinging at pitches out of the zone. Some of our hitters look absolutely lost up there. Hope it didn't look that way the whole game. 

Not throwing any shade on Vaughn though. The at bat I did see, there were two horribly called strikes on him. 

The ump was bad, but the batters were worse. 

• Thanks 1

The Opener is always a wonderful experience win or lose and yesterday was no exception. GRate was in top condition and showed no signs of deterioration inside or any need for replacement It doesn't. The field was in optimum condition and will look even better when the ivy in Center field greens up. Tailgating was as it always is for an Opener, crazy good with tremendous camaraderie  among Sox fans including sharing barbecue tricks, food and spirits and memories of prior seasons and games. I had some great interactions with other fans tailgating before the game and after the game at Cork and Kerry.

As you know, Crochet was fantastic and our bullpen held the game within striking distance. Luck was not with the Sox on that day. A few balls were smashed by Sox hitters including a deep line drive by Eloy that the LFer made a shoestring catch on. That one could have changed the game. Eloy was on everything and could easily have sent the game into extra innings with one swing.  Baez taunted us by throwing a balls at the screen in front of us and exchanging  some bad looks and verbal taunts. Maybe Grifol should order a few brush back pitches when he comes up next time.

The biggest problem this season will be Cub trolls that are aimed at trying to depress Sox fans and spin everything in the most negative light. Many of them are on this forum... really negative people.

Meanwhile, the Sox know what they have to do including  bolstering the bottom  half of the line-up with one or two guys that can hit for power and constantly looking to improve the rotation. This team needs to start adding some talent instead of looking to trade it away.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I never understood trading Madrigal and Burger. This lineup would look alot better if these 2 were on the team.

Madrigal was always hurt and if Kimbrel didn't suddenly implode, it would have given them the two best relievers in baseball. Kimbrel might be one of those closers that has to close and Liam was willing to pitch whenever so, eh. Also, Madrigal hasn't hit well since leaving the Sox and still has health problems.

Burger is cause Kenny...who knows. If the hypothetical Hahn-Miami deal was TA-for-Eder, it looks a lot better. Right now, it's not looking hot.

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I never understood trading Madrigal and Burger. This lineup would look alot better if these 2 were on the team.

A rotation of Cease, Dunning, Crochet and Kopech, the latter two if they developed them as starters vs. the half ass bullpen ramp out route Tony/Hahn landed on could have changed things in 2022 and beyond,

Really need to just keep Robert and the younger players and add around as best as possible at this point, especially given likely limited payroll the next few years, perhaps next decade.

Baltimore really needed a new owner this year for any chance at sustained success, and we could have used that as well here before Tony was hired or soon with at least a few decent players and pitchers on the horizon.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, tray said:

The Opener is always a wonderful experience win or lose and yesterday was no exception. GRate was in top condition and showed no signs of deterioration inside or any need for replacement It doesn't. The field was in optimum condition and will look even better when the ivy in Center field greens up. Tailgating was as it always is for an Opener, crazy good with tremendous camaraderie  among Sox fans including sharing barbecue tricks, food and spirits and memories of prior seasons and games. I had some great interactions with other fans tailgating before the game and after the game at Cork and Kerry.

As you know, Crochet was fantastic and our bullpen held the game within striking distance. Luck was not with the Sox on that day. A few balls were smashed by Sox hitters including a deep line drive by Eloy that the LFer made a shoestring catch on. That one could have changed the game. Eloy was on everything and could easily have sent the game into extra innings with one swing.  Baez taunted us by throwing a balls at the screen in front of us and exchanging  some bad looks and verbal taunts. Maybe Grifol should order a few brush back pitches when he comes up next time.

The biggest problem this season will be Cub trolls that are aimed at trying to depress Sox fans and spin everything in the most negative light. Many of them are on this forum... really negative people.

Meanwhile, the Sox know what they have to do including  bolstering the bottom  half of the line-up with one or two guys that can hit for power and constantly looking to improve the rotation. This team needs to start adding some talent instead of looking to trade it away.

I did think the park looked nice. They've done a good job with the additions and branding scheme. That said, it won't look so nice with 15k in attendance.

• Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Fegan is so good. It's a shame he's buried at SoxMachine.

The White Sox strive to out-execute the competition in 2024. Since they largely did so on the pitching side and created the low-scoring, closely played ballgame they have to play this year, it makes for an ominous opening to be shut out and beaten by a Tigers club that does not offer an imposing offensive attack of their own.

“We’re going to catch the baseball and we’re going to pitch it,” Grifol said. “We’ve just got to find ways to claw out some runs and win these types of ballgames. These are the games you’ve got to win, you’ve got to find a way to win it if you want to be really good. And we’ll get there.”

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

This lineup would also look better with a manager who knew what he was doing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This lineup would also look better with a manager who knew what he was doing. 

He's only working with so much but I don't understand why you'd leadoff Benetendi and have Moncada second against a tough LHP. 

I probably would have had Vaughn second if absolutely nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Not impressed with our new play by play announcer.  Does not describe well what is happening with the game.

I wasn't tuned in for all of the game, but did catch him telling viewers Moncada was batting lefty against a new reliever while the camera showed Moncada standing in the LH batters box against a righty.  I thought I was listening to the radio call for a moment.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

2 Hour 10 Minute game and Rob Manfred still has umps calling out players for being 1 second late to the batters box.  

Stepping over dollars to chase pennies.

So the ump is suppose to ignore the rule like it doesn't exist when there's a clock in the background for all to see?

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I wasn't tuned in for all of the game, but did catch him telling viewers Moncada was batting lefty against a new reliever while the camera showed Moncada standing in the LH batters box against a righty.  I thought I was listening to the radio call for a moment.

JEEEZ...It's his first game and we're already critiquing the announcer,  like he really makes a difference to the Sox won lost record. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's only working with so much but I don't understand why you'd leadoff Benetendi and have Moncada second against a tough LHP. 

I probably would have had Vaughn second if absolutely nothing else.

You mean the speedster Vaughn or the one who runs like he's carrying a piano on his back.

• Like 1