Know your Sox: The Bust Bros

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I  remember when a couple of posters used to laugh at any post I made critical of either of these two back in the days when they were touted as major pieces of the "young championship core" LOL.

Time makes fools of us all, especially us Sox fans.

• Like 2

What’s crazy is that Yoan put up a 5.5 fWAR season in 2019.  While he got a little lucky with the bat that year, his quality of contact was insane with his average exit velocity sitting in the 98th percentile.  Combine that with plus plus defense and above average base-running and we had a star on our hands.  As just a 24 year old, there was reason to believe Yoan could offset the luck regression with better swing decisions and maintain that level of production moving forward.

Unfortunately after signing his extension and after getting COVID in 2020, he just couldn’t replicate that performance, partially due to health reasons and partially what I attribute to drive.  It also didn’t help that the dude constantly mixed up his offensive approaches, flexing between extreme patience and the balanced aggressiveness he demonstrated in 2019.  Despite that, he did post a 4 fWAR season in 2021 on the heels of a career best 13.6% walk rate.

Yoan will forever be considered a bust in White Sox history, but that will always be due to not achieving his vast ceiling rather than being a complete flop like so many Sox prospects before him.  I truly believed that Moncada & Robert would regularly put up a combined 10 fWAR seasons and it’s sad we’ll never get that level of production even once.  Such a waste of physical talent, but alas that’s the 2022 & 2023 White Sox in a nutshell and Yoan is certainly the poster boy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s crazy is that Yoan put up a 5.5 fWAR season in 2019.  While he got a little lucky with the bat that year, his quality of contact was insane with his average exit velocity sitting in the 98th percentile.  Combine that with plus plus defense and above average base-running and we had a star on our hands.  As just a 24 year old, there was reason to believe Yoan could offset the luck regression with better swing decisions and maintain that level of production moving forward.

Unfortunately after signing his extension and after getting COVID in 2020, he just couldn’t replicate that performance, partially due to health reasons and partially what I attribute to drive.  It also didn’t help that the dude constantly mixed up his offensive approaches, flexing between extreme patience and the balanced aggressiveness he demonstrated in 2019.  Despite that, he did post a 4 fWAR season in 2021 on the heels of a career best 13.6% walk rate.

Yoan will forever be considered a bust in White Sox history, but that will always be due to not achieving his vast ceiling rather than being a complete flop like so many Sox prospects before him.  I truly believed that Moncada & Robert would regularly put up a combined 10 fWAR seasons and it’s sad we’ll never get that level of production even once.  Such a waste of physical talent, but alas that’s the 2022 & 2023 White Sox in a nutshell and Yoan is certainly the poster boy.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I believe those players started declining when the White Sox got rid of Rick Renteria and replaced him with Tony La Russa. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I believe those players started declining when the White Sox got rid of Rick Renteria and replaced him with Tony La Russa. 

Renteria drove me nuts with his in-game decision making, but the dude had his guys playing hard most nights.  And it seems like several of the guys didn’t do well with Zombie LaRussa’s complete lack of clubhouse rules & oversight.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree with this take, Moncada is a bust not because he isn't an MLB player or a bad one, but because he was supposed to be peak Jose Ramirez and only got over 4 WAR twice. Also injuries and covid sapped him of his athleticism. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly