Getz off season acquisitions have been awful so far.

White Sox offense has been anemic so far.  Much worse than last season.

Getz off season acquisitions were mostly older journeymen.

Batting averages so far:

Pillar, Grossman and Maldonado  .000

Fletcher .125

DeJong .143

Nicky Lopez .167 

on top of the inherited multimillion dollar man Benintendi hitting .107 leading off.

White Sox management/coaching team should be embarrassed.  How long do the fans have to wait for a change?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Who would’ve guessed that these guys couldn’t hit?  Even Hawk couldn’t have hyped up the new acquisitions.

What is it, about $13 million dollars that Getz basically lit on fire by adding these players?

Leadership and defense wins!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

34 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

White Sox offense has been anemic so far.  Much worse than last season.

Getz off season acquisitions were mostly older journeymen.

Batting averages so far:

Pillar, Grossman and Maldonado  .000

Fletcher .125

DeJong .143

Nicky Lopez .167 

on top of the inherited multimillion dollar man Benintendi hitting .107 leading off.

White Sox management/coaching team should be embarrassed.  How long do the fans have to wait for a change?

You'll have to wait until ownership changes. 

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 2

The offensive additions have all been atrocious so far, but most of these guys should have been expected to be bad.  Other than committing to way too many of them, the biggest concern at the moment for me is Fletcher.  It’s incredibly early, but I just don’t see an everyday offensive profile with this dude.  Hope he picks it up soon, because Grifol won’t continue playing a struggling youngster for long when he’s got other veteran options available to him.

At least some of the pitching moves are working out.  Fedde & Wilson look really good so far IMO and switching Crochet to the rotation and Kopech seem like moves that could payoff (if managed appropriately).  I still don’t get the Tim Hill signing and can’t imagine Flexen being more than an innings dumpster, but at least there are some early signs of Bannister being a quality addition to the org.  And Thorpe’s first start at AA is a nice little cherry on top.

• Like 1

I will be honest, I  fully believe that Getz knew what he was getting with this group. Guys to fill a position and not rush the guys who you think will be taking over in the near future. Guys who show up and work hard every day to give solid examples to learn from for the next generation.  They weren't really supposed to put up stats.

It's Clevinger I don't get.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will be honest, I  fully believe that Getz knew what he was getting with this group. Guys to fill a position and not rush the guys who you think will be taking over in the near future. Guys who show up and work hard every day to give solid examples to learn from for the next generation.  They weren't really supposed to put up stats.

It's Clevinger I don't get.

Completely agree with all of this.

24 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The way Maldonado has looked, your starting catcher in July may be Chuckie Robinson.

Korey Lee has already shown more pop than any other healthy player on the roster right now, he should be the ever day starter but this manager and organization don't want to play the young guys

• Like 2

I’m trying to explain to my kids how the team is so bad. After a lot of conversation, they seem to understand 1.) how bad this ownership group is at giving resources to bring in enough MLB talent to compete and 2.) how the guys we have aren’t hitting 3.) injuries although that doesn’t seem to have had a major impact yet.

While it has been an interesting exercise to get it to their level, boy does it make you feel like we have no shot until ownership and administration is gone.  When asked, “Well, how can we win?” I had to explain that we need a lot of young guys to develop better than they are and some older players to have the best years of their career.

19 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Korey Lee has already shown more pop than any other healthy player on the roster right now, he should be the ever day starter but this manager and organization don't want to play the young guys

This was my argument. If we aren’t serious about competing and JR wants to save money, have Lee be the everyday starter with a veteran back-up.  It gives a year tryout to see what is there with him.  The slogan, “We’re seeing if these kids can play.”

You can argue the strategy of improving the defense is working. The starting pitching has been decent and Soroka, Flexen and Fedde have looked decent enough where we can probably flip them. The Sox were going to be bad and we knew these guys weren't going to hit.

If these guys are still playing in August and we haven't cut or traded have the roster then we have a bigger problem. This (and likely next year) are throw away years, there was no way to fix it, just enjoy watching bad baseball and hopefully when (if) they build a new stadium it's with the intent to sell.

Edited by mac9001

Again, I’m less concerned about bad veterans being bad.  The biggest question I have is what is Getz’s long-term plan for this positional group.

I think it’s fair to say the only guy who will be part of the starting lineup of our next competitive team is Robert.  IMO, Vaughn gets non-tendered or traded after this season.  I don’t know where things went wrong with him (probably skipping all minor league development to fill a major league need), but it doesn’t seem like he will hit enough to be a first division regular.  Benintendi is straight up a bad baseball player and I think he gets released or traded for a bad contract after the 2025 season.  And the only other guy in the equation would be Fletcher, and right now, he looks much more like a 4th OF than an everyday guy (still very early though).

So how the hell do you fill eight holes around Robert?  Obviously Montgomery will be the answer at SS (hopefully) or 3B.  I think Ramos & Quero will both be major league regulars, although their ceilings are still very much TBD.  After them, things begin getting fuzzy fast.  Zavala looks legit IMO, but he’s still a few years out best case scenario.  Gonzalez is a total wild card at the moment and we need to see if his offseason efforts are real or just normal spring fluff.  The group falls off immensely after with some higher ceiling guys in Low A / rookie ball (Wolkow, Burrowes, etc) and some lower ceiling dudes in AA & AAA.

I think it becomes pretty apparent that Getz will need to do some serious work in free agency.  And that’s the scary part.  We no doubt should have plenty of money to spend, it’s just will Jerry allow us to spend in a way that will make a meaningful difference.  If we’re locked into the Benintendi tier then we are big time fucked IMO.  Got to pray that Jerry finally mans up and takes on a tiny bit of risk with a nine figure contract or two.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again, I’m less concerned about bad veterans being bad.  The biggest question I have is what is Getz’s long-term plan for this positional group.

I think it’s fair to say the only guy who will be part of the starting lineup of our next competitive team is Robert.  IMO, Vaughn gets non-tendered or traded after this season.  I don’t know where things went wrong with him (probably skipping all minor league development to fill a major league need), but it doesn’t seem like he will hit enough to be a first division regular.  Benintendi is straight up a bad baseball player and I think he gets released or traded for a bad contract after the 2025 season.  And the only other guy in the equation would be Fletcher, and right now, he looks much more like a 4th OF than an everyday guy (still very early though).

So how the hell do you fill eight holes around Robert?  Obviously Montgomery will be the answer at SS (hopefully) or 3B.  I think Ramos & Quero will both be major league regulars, although their ceilings are still very much TBD.  After them, things begin getting fuzzy fast.  Zavala looks legit IMO, but he’s still a few years out best case scenario.  Gonzalez is a total wild card at the moment and we need to see if his offseason efforts are real or just normal spring fluff.  The group falls off immensely after with some higher ceiling guys in Low A / rookie ball (Wolkow, Burrowes, etc) and some lower ceiling dudes in AA & AAA.

I think it becomes pretty apparent that Getz will need to do some serious work in free agency.  And that’s the scary part.  We no doubt should have plenty of money to spend, it’s just will Jerry allow us to spend in a way that will make a meaningful difference.  If we’re locked into the Benintendi tier then we are big time fucked IMO.  Got to pray that Jerry finally mans up and takes on a tiny bit of risk with a nine figure contract or two.

If he can ever stay on the field, it's becoming more clear Robert should probably be shopped. If you really want to fix this thing, it's gotta be totally started over. The farm system, as you mentioned, is far from impressive. Par for the course. The ML team is SO far away from anything remotely competitive, I'd put most of my budget into the draft and development. This is going to take 3-4 years at a minimum. Just the reality of the situation, especially when you consider the limitations Getz will have on him when it comes to signing big dollar contracts. 

Will they do any of this? Of course not...but I don't see many other options.  

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 9:28 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

The offensive additions have all been atrocious so far, but most of these guys should have been expected to be bad.  Other than committing to way too many of them, the biggest concern at the moment for me is Fletcher.  It’s incredibly early, but I just don’t see an everyday offensive profile with this dude.  Hope he picks it up soon, because Grifol won’t continue playing a struggling youngster for long when he’s got other veteran options available to him.

At least some of the pitching moves are working out.  Fedde & Wilson look really good so far IMO and switching Crochet to the rotation and Kopech seem like moves that could payoff (if managed appropriately).  I still don’t get the Tim Hill signing and can’t imagine Flexen being more than an innings dumpster, but at least there are some early signs of Bannister being a quality addition to the org.  And Thorpe’s first start at AA is a nice little cherry on top.

I think a Colas for Fletcher flip, or DeLoach for Fletcher - is one that Getz is just waiting to see if that's one he doesn't have to make. Fletcher was supposed to be the answer, and he's just being exposed. 

Flexen as an inning muncher works. I know it's KC, but if he can get through 5-6 with 2-3 runs on the board, he's done his job. 

• Like 1