Is it wrong to want the Sox to embarrass themselves?

reiks12

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

It has also been shown — repeatedly — that Reinsdorf only moves on from the status quo if that status quo is national embarrassment.

It's why Thibs got canned (leaking stuff to the press that show Bulls dysfunction), why GarPax got jettisoned (the ASG protests), KW/Hahn finally being fired, etc.

Now imagine if the status quo is national embarrassment? Getz has done f*** and all to show that he can put together a roster, with his best MLB acquisition so far being (using fWAR for the sake of something quantifiable)...Kevin Pillar and Steven Wilson.

So a guy that they dicked around in free agency and a reliever that was part of a trade package for their ace.

Pedro will be this year's sacrificial lamb, but if they're hysterically bad (I'm talking minus-60 wins) while Reinsdorf is trying to get a stadium deal — Getz might actually feel heat. If he gets them to even 70 wins, his job is safe.

Well said. And Im not sure Getz is supposed to be accomplishing something better than status quo. But if he actually undershot the status quo historically as a miscalculation, bring it on. The star of the franchise is actually a milkshake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This is headed to Oakland A's / Montreal Expos territory.   I'm at the point in wishing for this sooner than later when it comes to having to put up with an owner that just doesn't die or sell the team. 

What happens after Reinsdorf moves the team?  Then I can move on with my life in finding either another team to pull for or just stop watching baseball altogether and do other more important things with my life. 

I couldn't have stated my thoughts any better

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this happening. It's not. 

Ha, I don't think many fans are losing any sleep with this team and quite frankly most in my friend group who are diehard fans have had enough and just wish for Reinsdorf to go away somehow, even if it means relocating. 

He's not selling, he's not dying, so the only other alternative is his relocation to Nashville (or wherever). 

Maybe 5 years after we get the Cleveland Browns mulligan from MLB and get a 2nd team by expansion. 

If I ever get to the point of wanting the White Sox to embarrass themselves, I will probably be in a nursing home with Alzheimer's.

Nurse Ratched will be giving me my meds and ranting how bad the White Sox are. 

" NEVER !!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by Falstaff
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Im finding myself wanting the Sox to lose in embarrassing fashion day in and day out. I would be even happier if they break some records along the way. Worst record is still on the table, the shutout record, worst OPS record, etc..

I consider myself a diehard fan, but what kind of fan wants their team to fail miserably? We can only draft 10th next year so why am i feeling this way? I dont quite know what to think anymore. 

does anyone else feel this way?

I feel the same exact way. The reason is that I feel its the only thing that will motivate Reindork to do something.

11 hours ago, RTC said:

Embrace the horror. 

It will be interesting to see how the Sox marketing team plays this as the season grinds on. There could be an opportunity to promote the hisorical suckage in a savvy way come late September. It would be something to see a sold outSox Park rooting for the opposotion as the Sox approach 120 losses. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nrockway said:

I'm still in the camp that firing Hahn/Williams earned enough good will to give Getz some time. There are young players on this team worth rooting for. The pitching situation seems genuinely good and a handful of position players could be mainstays for a long time. Chances are that I'm watching more minor league ball than the White Sox this year though. 

The "good will" is lost if they don't spend any money next year to improve the team. I expected a punt season and so it is. Even if the team on the field is worse than I thought it would be, I had no expectations except for individual players' progress. But there's no reason that next year should be and there are real opportunities to add useful non-superstar free agents at positions of need, unlike this past free agency cycle. My hope is that the money not spent this year will be spent next year and if that hope isn't realized, I'm probably in the same position as you "f*** all these guys, burn it down".

I said before that the only free agents who will sign with the White Sox are players like Tommy Pham who have nowhere else to go. I’m sure players talk about this organization and this owner. How can they have any confidence that the owner is willing to do the things it takes to win?

• Like 1

I actually don't even know. With the bulls it felt like "ok, they embarrass themselves, we can shame them into turning this group over". It was a monkey paw, but it did feel attainable.

With Getz getting the job with a smarmy press conference by JR, there just isn't going to be a way to shame it this quickly. So I hope that, instead, this is just the remnants of how bad it was from a draft and develop standpoint under Hahn. ANd it was. People talk about the draft, but this is also what it looks like when you punt entire International classes for Colas and Yolbert and Cespedes.

But there are some signs of life in the recent draft classes, at least. Paddy has at least appeared to be less lazy, but still too lazy for my liking. 

But this amount of shutouts, this level of horrid play. I don't think it's good for anything. Certainly when you don't have a Luhnow or someone overseeing the show.

• Like 2

If a team is going to be bad, then be good at being bad. I don’t want a middle of the road team like the Bulls because that still gives people hope. “All we need is a left handed slugger named Adam and we are golden!”. Nah I want them to be historically bad and lose 120+ games. That way everyone knows that it will take a complete tear down and rebuild to win again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

If a team is going to be bad, then be good at being bad. I don’t want a middle of the road team like the Bulls because that still gives people hope. “All we need is a left handed slugger named Adam and we are golden!”. Nah I want them to be historically bad and lose 120+ games. That way everyone knows that it will take a complete tear down and rebuild to win again. 

I'd rather have the bulls. 

• Like 1

I don't think the players or Getz "deserve" to be embarrassed. Getz is taking over a team that refuses to spend money and it's coming off a failed rebuild where nearly all the assets lost their value on the trade market. He has very little to work with.

Even Grifol is being paid to be a punching bag while knowing this is his only shot at being an MLB manager. 

49 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't think the players or Getz "deserve" to be embarrassed. Getz is taking over a team that refuses to spend money and it's coming off a failed rebuild where nearly all the assets lost their value on the trade market. He has very little to work with.

Even Grifol is being paid to be a punching bag while knowing this is his only shot at being an MLB manager. 

I think he deserves ridicule for shopping in the DeJong/Pillar/Moustakas/Maldonado buckets instead of taking the opportunity to live in the Rule 5/waiver world where we could get players of similar value but the potential to have long term control.

This year was going to be this year. It was going to be bad. But the Rangers found Adonis Garcia on waivers. The Orioles found Santander in rule 5. I dug into rule 5 this year, it wasn't a good one, but nonetheless we were so worried about pitching and we are getting shut out every game.

Instead we wasted a bunch of roster spots on guy slike lopez/shewmake that put a ton of pressure on our lower level guys to stick and have zero room to breathe. SO we send out Jose Rodriguez.

• Like 2

I was around way too many people at a travel baseball tourney this weekend, and all I would hear is “man, the White Sox suck this year.  What is going on, they can’t even run without getting hurt”.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

14 minutes ago, Highland said:

What is embarrassing is admitting to people that I am a Sox fan. But I am a legend. Just ask Steve. Just ask Ozzie.

I see Sox hats around town maybe once a week or so. I'll ask most of them in passing if they are Sox fans. 90% of the time all I hear is "I just like the hat".

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Well said. And Im not sure Getz is supposed to be accomplishing something better than status quo. But if he actually undershot the status quo historically as a miscalculation, bring it on. The star of the franchise is actually a milkshake.

It certainly brings the boys to the yard.

2 hours ago, scotty22hotty said:

just saw this posted on reddit

🤣

Wow, we really do deserve to be relocated or contracted. Just a complete embarrassment of a franchise not just recently, but historically.

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I see Sox hats around town maybe once a week or so. I'll ask most of them in passing if they are Sox fans. 90% of the time all I hear is "I just like the hat".

I get comments almost every time I wear a Sox shirt like “rough year” or something similar. My response is usually “eh, it’s a shirt and it still fits”. Don’t want people to think I actually care.

• Haha 3
  • Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I'd rather have the bulls. 

I basically started posting on this forum because I gave up on the Bulls for the reason the other poster mentioned (and basically the reasons why people in this thread are giving up on the Sox). That team is going to treadmill until 2030 because there's no path for improvement and their idiot GM keeps compounding his bad mistakes. Trading lottery picks for bad, overpaid veterans, trading an all-star starter who you have team control of for a guy who sits on the bench for a year then doesn't get re-signed. Drafting a non-NBA player with the 4th overall pick, declaring him the franchise savior, then watching him flounder for years because the GM can't admit he screwed up. They will re-sign Pat this offseason and cement the Bulls as a 39-43 team for the rest of my life. Just good enough to make the BS play-in and not tank ticket sales, not good enough to actually win anything.

The Bulls may be "better" than the White Sox in relation to their respective leagues, but I actually think the Bulls are in a sorrier state. I could reasonably expect the White Sox to have a good team in 2026, I see no path for the Bulls unless they get really lucky in the draft (that is, if they haven't already traded all their future draft picks away).

Edited by nrockway

22 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I consider myself a diehard fan, but what kind of fan wants their team to fail miserably?

One that understands it has to get worse before it can get better. Most of us are right there with you.

• Thanks 2
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

It certainly brings the boys to the yard.

Wow, we really do deserve to be relocated or contracted. Just a complete embarrassment of a franchise not just recently, but historically.

I get comments almost every time I wear a Sox shirt like “rough year” or something similar. My response is usually “eh, it’s a shirt and it still fits”. Don’t want people to think I actually care.

I have far too much Sox gear and wear it all the time on errands, walks, etc. I have no shame. I just switch hats when they lose....and I'm running out of hats....will be sporting a Birmingham Barons cap today to see if it has any luck.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I basically started posting on this forum because I gave up on the Bulls for the reason the other poster mentioned (and basically the reasons why people in this thread are giving up on the Sox). That team is going to treadmill until 2030 because there's no path for improvement and their idiot GM keeps compounding his bad mistakes. Trading lottery picks for bad, overpaid veterans, trading an all-star starter who you have team control of for a guy who sits on the bench for a year then doesn't get re-signed. Drafting a non-NBA player with the 4th overall pick, declaring him the franchise savior, then watching him flounder for years because the GM can't admit he screwed up. They will re-sign Pat this offseason and cement the Bulls as a 39-43 team for the rest of my life. Just good enough to make the BS play-in and not tank ticket sales, not good enough to actually win anything.

The Bulls may be "better" than the White Sox in relation to their respective leagues, but I actually think the Bulls are in a sorrier state. I could reasonably expect the White Sox to have a good team in 2026, I see no path for the Bulls unless they get really lucky in the draft (that is, if they haven't already traded all their future draft picks away).

They aren't in a sorrier state. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

They aren't in a sorrier state. 

They are in a sorrier state because at least the White Sox admitted they need to rebuild. Karnisovas is in the Hahnish stage of general managing whereby signing old veterans that nobody wants or giving up draft capital for them is the path to "get over the hump". They've had one winning season since 2016. They've whiffed on every draft pick too except, maybe, Ayo Dosunmu, a league average backup that we're overpaying because Karnisovas screwed up his rookie contract. 

The Bulls will trot out this same monstrosity for the foreseeable future and delay the inevitable. They need to tank and I won't follow the team until they start over. The White Sox are bad, as expected (worse actually but it doesn't really matter), because they committed to a rebuild. A step in the right direction that the Bulls refuse to make. I would trust Karnisovas even less than Getz to manage a rebuild though. Getz may have been the wrong pick because he has no track record, well Karnisovas has a fairly long track record now and it's overwhelmingly bad.