Tommy Pham close to deal with White Sox

Vote4Pedro

56 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

He's played it a bunch to begin his career with the Sox, I really don't think he'd be worse than Fletcher there.  At worse I think he'd be equivalent 

Fletcher was actually known for his glove where Colas is not. Yes, he played CF in the minors, but a lot of young players who are top prospects get looks in CF to see if they can stick. Colas is a corner, not a CF. Can he play there in a pinch? Yes, but he belongs in RF where his cannon of an arm plays best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why do we hate Colas so much?

It’s only the beginning of his third year. They probably want him to get another 150-200 plate appearances at AAA. Of course, I also thought they probably wanted to hang onto Rodriguez so who the hell knows what they’re thinking

14 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Fletcher was actually known for his glove where Colas is not. Yes, he played CF in the minors, but a lot of young players who are top prospects get looks in CF to see if they can stick. Colas is a corner, not a CF. Can he play there in a pinch? Yes, but he belongs in RF where his cannon of an arm plays best.

Colas’ arm is in the 99th percentile though

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yet he's still probably the best hitter on the active roster...once that move transpires.  His numbers last year were pretty decent.   Never going to be much of a defender, but I think they've thrown that out the window now just trying to generate runs in any way possible.

Good post Caulfield. Though Pham is ancient (at least according to this board when I was upset we were giving up on Abreu; they are about the same age) and though if you study his stats he's not been a beast (career high 23 HR; 70 something RBI) he does pass the eye test (unless he's gotten fat) and people have heard of him. In other words, he's a legitimate big leaguer, albeit an old one. My guess is the Sox rightfully so are truly panicking that with this lineup we might only win 10-20 games. Seriously. At some point you have to add somebody with a decent MLB background (I realize some of the stiffs in our everyday order also have been in the bigs for an extended period of time, but they are so bad they are laughable). Pham is not a total joke. So I say sign him and give him the clubhouse to lead (lol, but yeah, lead). Comments?

Need I say: Pham is the man.

Here's the most likely press conference I can imagine with Pham.

"Thank you so for being here, and thank you to the White Sox for allowing me the opportunity to announce today I'm retiring from baseball. When only the ugliest hooker gives me a hey baby, it's time to hang up the cleats."

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good post Caulfield. Though Pham is ancient (at least according to this board when I was upset we were giving up on Abreu; they are about the same age) and though if you study his stats he's not been a beast (career high 23 HR; 70 something RBI) he does pass the eye test (unless he's gotten fat) and people have heard of him. In other words, he's a legitimate big leaguer, albeit an old one. My guess is the Sox rightfully so are truly panicking that with this lineup we might only win 10-20 games. Seriously. At some point you have to add somebody with a decent MLB background (I realize some of the stiffs in our everyday order also have been in the bigs for an extended period of time, but they are so bad they are laughable). Pham is not a total joke. So I say sign him and give him the clubhouse to lead (lol, but yeah, lead). Comments?

Need I say: Pham is the man.

What's the worst thing that could possibly happen?

More stabbings outside gentlemen's establishments?

10 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Colas is an actual prospect for whom more time in AAA might actually help him. Sheets is a very good defensive OF. Pham is adequate. Has Sheets played an inning in RF this year?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952h5frq8qradghjjckdq7

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

That's why I don't really care. There is nobody this is "blocking". Our OF prospects are extremely trash in the near vicinity. Can't believe we didn't waitver pick or rule 5 but I also didn't see any I cared about. Misner would have been some fun at least, because he's high variance.

In my best Water Boy logic, "Remember the time Tommy Pham came in early May and lead the White Sox to 64 wins? "

I am still bummed learning the earliest the Sox can draft in 2025 is 10th. MLB needs to put in a White Sox Clause

16 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

because he sucks.

I wouldnt say he sucks. A guy has to get some ABs under his belt. Hes got a great arm , just needed some work on his fundamentals on defense. His bat has played anywhere hes been even though he had to be rusty when he first got to the states. AT the highest levels his lack of consistent AB's against high level pitching has been apparent.

15 hours ago, tjp1684 said:

We’re averaging 2 runs a game, and even 30 points under last year, Pham would be one of the top hitters on this team.  Grossman is at least getting on via walking. If he can walk at a decent clip, it at least gives us a chance to have someone on when our guys smack a double.  So we’ll have to figure out who fits where best if we’re “trying to compete.”

Benintendi can sit more instead of being a fixture in LF every freaking day.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jake said:

From publicly available information, Pham is quite plausibly the best healthy player on the White Sox right now. He should have been signed 3 months ago. There is value to making extremely modest efforts at avoiding being an all-time laughingstock. I'm starting to think it's harmful to everyone in the clubhouse to be absolutely horrible, so I'm okay with signing some real live major league baseball players in hopes that not all of them wither and die when they get the White Sox reverse Midas touch.

I doubt he wouldve taken a MILB contract 3 months ago.

32 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

I am still bummed learning the earliest the Sox can draft in 2025 is 10th. MLB needs to put in a White Sox Clause

In all actuality, the White Sox seem to do better when all of the hyped prospects are cleared off the board. They've picked much better from 11th and lower than they have 10th or higher

2023 - Gonzalez - 15
2022 - Schultz - 26
2021 - Montgomery - 22
2020 - Crochet - 11
2019 - Vaughn - 3
2018 - Madrigal - 4
2017 - Burger - 11
2016 - Collins - 10
2015 - Fulmer - 8
2014 - Rodon - 3
2013 - Anderson - 17

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Benintendi can sit more instead of being a fixture in LF every freaking day.

I think you basically need to play Benintendi mostly everyday against RHP, at least for now.  Sox still owe him like $65M.  Absolutely have to try to find a serviceable player out of him, especially in a lost season.