It was a great career, Jose, but what's up this season?

greg775

Jose Abreu is 4-for-62 with one RBI. Must be frustrating for Jose. U think if this keeps up he'll hang 'em up? Of course he's always started slowly but yikes 4-for-62 is pretty Darin Erstad-ish. (forgive me for starting a new thread but with the Sox 3-21 I think you can forgive me. Not like there's much to discuss).

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Jose Abreu is 4-for-62 with one RBI. Must be frustrating for Jose. U think if this keeps up he'll hang 'em up? Of course he's always started slowly but yikes 4-for-62 is pretty Darin Erstad-ish. (forgive me for starting a new thread but with the Sox 3-21 I think you can forgive me. Not like there's much to discuss).

He's still under contract for next year at 19.5M, but if he keeps this up he might wind up in DFA territory. Father time always wins.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He lied about his age and/or stopped taking steroids 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He lied about his age and/or stopped taking steroids 

Could be.  But he’s also 37 now so last year and this year could just be natural decline for his age.  Everyone seems to realize that old guys fall apart except for our new GM.  See Maldonado (37) and Pillar (35).

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Could be.  But he’s also 37 now so last year and this year could just be natural decline for his age.  Everyone seems to realize that old guys fall apart except for our new GM.  See Maldonado (37) and Pillar (35).

Pham Grossman Chavez Shaw, etc.

Somehow, almost inexplicably, we're in the middle of the pack for the mean age of the active MLB roster.

No shot at Johnny Cueto again, though.

It's wild how guys are running out of gas more and more around 35-38. Hosmer retired this year and he's only 34. It's wild how 26-32 is about it for a ballplayer in terms of production. Julio Franco be darned.

• TLR 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's wild how guys are running out of gas more and more around 35-38. Hosmer retired this year and he's only 34. It's wild how 26-32 is about it for a ballplayer in terms of production. Julio Franco be darned.

I think it's more that the kids are better trained, better mentored, eat better, and have more access to better statistical analysis than "old guys blowing out sooner". 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I think it's more that the kids are better trained, better mentored, eat better, and have more access to better statistical analysis than "old guys blowing out sooner". 

I think its  higher velos. Hard to catch up to gas as you age, and if you can't hit a fastball, you're pretty screwed. Wasn't so bad when guys were throwing maybe 92 and hitters were all hopped up on steroids.  Stone was saying how little Jax throws his fastball last night, and he had 97 MPH cheese. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

One of the few good moves by the Reinsdork regime was realizing that Abreu’s career was waning and they didn’t re-sign him.

Yes, that was rather surprising.  But I think JR must have learned his lesson from Konerko’s last contract.  Paulie’s last two seasons (ages 37 and 38) were terrible, as he was definitely done.  Loyalty shouldn’t outweigh Father Time.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

One of the few good moves by the Reinsdork regime was realizing that Abreu’s career was waning and they didn’t re-sign him.

Absolutely. But they replaced him with Vaughn, so…

• Paper Bag 1

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Absolutely. But they replaced him with Vaughn, so…

I would have rather kept Vaughn in LF and resigned Abreu for 3 years at 19 million per season than be stuck with Benintendi for the next 3 years AFTER this one.

• Like 1

There were a lot of people on this forum who clamored for Hahn to resign Abreu to a huge contract. I’m glad that he didn’t, he avoided a disaster. Not resigning Abreu is one of Hahn’s better moves as GM

Obviously we can't see Abreu play every day, but from what I've seen he doesn't look to be enjoying himself.  That could be from his poor play, but Jose was always a guy that looked like he was having fun when he was with the Sox (up until the end anyway).  His poor play could be causing his poor attitude or vice versa.  Likely it's a combination.  Regardless, it's sad to see.

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

If that were the case, they would last longer not less

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

He's still under contract for next year at 19.5M, but if he keeps this up he might wind up in DFA territory. Father time always wins.

Yeah I think once a contract is less than 2 years, you can start to justify DFAing him. 

At least that's what I've been saying to myself about Benintendi lol that you're stuck with him until about June/July Year 4 of his deal.

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I think once a contract is less than 2 years, you can start to justify DFAing him. 

At least that's what I've been saying to myself about Benintendi lol that you're stuck with him until about June/July Year 4 of his deal.

Curious but I wonder if Jose has been battling some injury problem that has slowed him this spring ?

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Curious but I wonder if Jose has been battling some injury problem that has slowed him this spring ?

Could be. You figure he couldn't have fallen off THIS badly. His numbers are Maldonado-level bad.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Could be. You figure he couldn't have fallen off THIS badly. His numbers are Maldonado-level bad.

In his age 38 season a similar player in Konerko only managed an OPS+ of 56. Sometimes the bottom just falls out these guys, especially without PEDs. Jose is probably a bit older than his listed age imo, nothing against him, I've just always figured that based on his career in Cuba. He was stupidly good for his listed age.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm a little older and when I do some sprints, do a workout and then drink a few beers I'm on the shelf for 3 days.

It stinks. We were all 27 once in baseball years but time waits for no man.

Next time, drink the beers first and see if that helps. Just a little tip from your Uncle Wegs.

52 minutes ago, wegner said:

Next time, drink the beers first and see if that helps. Just a little tip from your Uncle Wegs.

I actually worked out drunk AF last night. It was wild, never really tried it funnily enough. I was so sloppy on my dumb bell flies looked like a total noob I'm sure. It was fun tho once i got going, was jamming to my music and ripping off zercher squats at the end.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I actually worked out drunk AF last night. It was wild, never really tried it funnily enough. I was so sloppy on my dumb bell flies looked like a total noob I'm sure. It was fun tho once i got going, was jamming to my music and ripping off zercher squats at the end.

Sounds like a terrible idea