Robbie Grossman traded to TEX for RHP Anthony Hoopii-Tuionetoa

37 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I know it doesn't matter, but I really don't want to see Remillard play on the Sox anymore.

I think Remy was the choice simply because he’s an easy DFA when Mendick comes back in a few days. Don’t really think you can demote Ramos just yet based on his SSS. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Remy was the choice simply because he’s an easy DFA when Mendick comes back in a few days. Don’t really think you can demote Ramos just yet based on his SSS. 

You won't have to DFA for Mendick. He is already on the 40.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You won't have to DFA for Mendick. He is already on the 40.

Yes, but he does need a 26 man spot and Remillard is the obvious guy to go down. Suppose they could option him until the spot is needed, but point remains. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

Great jump from my point to that point. 

I relates perfectly, unless you are trying to pick and choose which of Getz’s moves should truly count against him.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

“It was a good baseball trade,” White Sox manager Pedro Grifol said. “They needed him over there and the pitcher we got back adds depth to an area that we feel is a strength of ours. You can never have too many good arms. This kid’s got a good arm and he’ll help us at some point.”

15 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

In the big picture, not really. It’s unlikely any of the guys involved in these periphery trades amount to anything (including this one). People point to the Tatis trade but Shields was actually a significant acquisition at the time regardless of how it turned out. 

and what’s your issue with the moves he’s made so far? Everyone seems upset about the Mena trade in the same way they were upset about the burger trade last year. This too shall pass.

I dunno. Mena is pitching pretty well in the PCL. 3.97 ERA there is really good. 

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d say Robert is fair game by next July and that’s a pretty significant asset to trade. 

Im going to operate under the assumption that hes not someone they want to trade at this time.

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.  No one wants Remillard.  He passed through a DFA once already with no takers.

38 minutes ago, T R U said:

Im going to operate under the assumption that hes not someone they want to trade at this time.

Now yes. 14 months from now it starts to make sense. 

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Now yes. 14 months from now it starts to make sense. 

14 months from now, probably likely. I was more referring to this off-season. After we shed what little we have this deadline were not going to have much to work with in the off-season and I wouldn't expect them to make any notable signings.

32 minutes ago, T R U said:

14 months from now, probably likely. I was more referring to this off-season. After we shed what little we have this deadline were not going to have much to work with in the off-season and I wouldn't expect them to make any notable signings.

Fair enough - I don't see Robert moving this coming offseason.  But I do think Getz will be more willing to listen.  

The Sox would be hard pressed not to make any notable signings this offseason, though.  Their payroll could be sub $50M without signing anyone.

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fair enough - I don't see Robert moving this coming offseason.  But I do think Getz will be more willing to listen.  

The Sox would be hard pressed not to make any notable signings this offseason, though.  Their payroll could be sub $50M without signing anyone.

Depends on what your definition of notable signing is. Signing some mid tier FA to a 4 year $70 million deal is not notable to me. If they payroll is ~$50 million I need to see a difference maker added to this roster.

23 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A 30 year old who won't bring back anything!  LOL

Time's must be really rough for your ego if you're trying to give people the I WAS RIGHT for this move.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 4

I think the good news for Robert is the control allows us to play the market.

Last offseason I mentioned seemed like the perfect time to move Robert, and a bad time to move Cease. I'm not sure we'll know until this offseason if it's a particularly good/bad time to move robert, but obviously he's talented enough that you'd never expect a tepid market, just about how many plan b's other gms can squint and still see as acceptable.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Depends on what your definition of notable signing is. Signing some mid tier FA to a 4 year $70 million deal is not notable to me. If they payroll is ~$50 million I need to see a difference maker added to this roster.

I would say a 4/$70M deal would be fairly notable, at least for the Sox.  Off the cuff, I believe that would be the 3rd largest guaranteed contract in White Sox history.  Obvious its all relative with the Sox.  Its probably pretty much set in stone that JR isn't going to spend that kind of $ on a pitcher, any the top of the FA class for position players is Soto, Bregman, Alonso (maybe Bellinger), and then a pretty stark drop off.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if only 4-5 position players cleared that kind of money next offseason. I doubt the Sox will be one of the teams that make those signings. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would say a 4/$70M deal would be fairly notable, at least for the Sox.  Off the cuff, I believe that would be the 3rd largest guaranteed contract in White Sox history.  Obvious its all relative with the Sox.  Its probably pretty much set in stone that JR isn't going to spend that kind of $ on a pitcher, any the top of the FA class for position players is Soto, Bregman, Alonso (maybe Bellinger), and then a pretty stark drop off.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if only 4-5 position players cleared that kind of money next offseason. I doubt the Sox will be one of the teams that make those signings. 

I think the terrible problem for the sox is we could increase spending, but if they handed out three, four-year $70 million deals and that would be like getting a few bullpen pitchers and a 4th starter.

25 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Time's must be really rough for your ego if you're trying to give people the I WAS RIGHT for this move.

I think this means the Keynan Middleton signing was the greatest signing of all time.

2 hours ago, T R U said:

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

51 minutes ago, T R U said:

They'll have money to spend.  

They have guys penciled in for LF, CF, SS, 3B, C for next year. 

They will probably have a rotation of Crochet, Fedde, maybe another FA singing in the Fedde/Clevinger mold, and then a parade of kids like Thorpe, Nastrini, Cannon, Bush, etc. 

Between trades at the deadline this year, offseason trades, and free agency, they need to go out and find a RF, 1B, 2b, DH. 

Clevinger, Flexen, Soroka, come off the books and that can turn into a $7,750,000 SP.

Let's say they get rid of Maldonado, Stassi, Nicky Lopez, DeJong, Vaughn, Pham, etc.  That's $16,556,124.

Moncada is $24,800,000

Eloy is $13,833,333.

You could pocket the Eloy money or use it to pay for raises and still have $40 mil to play with.  

At deadline maybe we turn some guys into a DH and 1B.  Then in the offseason we would sign a Ha-Seong Kim or Gleyber Torres and a Verdugo or Santander.  

That's a watchable team and probably less payroll than current year, right?

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

They'll have money to spend.  

They have guys penciled in for LF, CF, SS, 3B, C for next year. 

They will probably have a rotation of Crochet, Fedde, maybe another FA singing in the Fedde/Clevinger mold, and then a parade of kids like Thorpe, Nastrini, Cannon, Bush, etc. 

Between trades at the deadline this year, offseason trades, and free agency, they need to go out and find a RF, 1B, 2b, DH. 

Clevinger, Flexen, Soroka, come off the books and that can turn into a $7,750,000 SP.

Let's say they get rid of Maldonado, Stassi, Nicky Lopez, DeJong, Vaughn, Pham, etc.  That's $16,556,124.

Moncada is $24,800,000

Eloy is $13,833,333.

You could pocket the Eloy money or use it to pay for raises and still have $40 mil to play with.  

At deadline maybe we turn some guys into a DH and 1B.  Then in the offseason we would sign a Ha-Seong Kim or Gleyber Torres and a Verdugo or Santander.  

That's a watchable team and probably less payroll than current year, right?

Alternatively, if you feel good about your ability to find FA SPs on a yearly basis and don't think Fedde will re-sign, you could deal him at the deadline for a young player at one of the positions of need and reinvest his $7.5 million for another guy like him. 

This is why I get tired with all the people who act like they are decades away.  There's a path here.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Alternatively, if you feel good about your ability to find FA SPs on a yearly basis and don't think Fedde will re-sign, you could deal him at the deadline for a young player at one of the positions of need and reinvest his $7.5 million for another guy like him. 

This is why I get tired with all the people who act like they are decades away.  There's a path here.  

Fedde is on a 2-year deal and probably a trade chip this summer.

Edited by Bob Sacamano