2015 Wild Card Games

flavum

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
For all the broken record comments I get, I have ACTUALLY been broken recording this for a long time. The Sox need a complete rebuild and there is no good reason not to rebuild.

Yeah there is, you'd be throwing away 4-5 seasons with no guarantees that you'll be any better off. It only makes sense if you are in a truly desperate situation, which despite all your wailing is not the case here.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)
Yeah there is, you'd be throwing away 4-5 seasons with no guarantees that you'll be any better off. It only makes sense if you are in a truly desperate situation, which despite all your wailing is not the case here.

The thing is, there are no FAs out there. To get players that will help you, you are going to have to trade away that strong pitching which is the only strong aspect of this ballclub. They still will also have to find a way to dump LaRoche and trade Cabrera. On top of that, the season ticket list will dwindle even further next year and JR had to be convinced to pay what he did this year for a miserable failure.

So in the end, even if JR was like "Fugg it, let's do this", the team needs to acquire the players via trade. Who are you going to acquire without trading your pitching?

If you ask me, the Sox are in the same position as the Cubs were when Theo hopped on. Maybe only 3 keeps (2 for sure) and the rest was pretty damn trash.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
He is a troll.

Definition of troll - "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."

How many other posters here do you attribute to posting about one theme? AustinIllini only posts about the Cubs being awesome or the Sox being horrible. He's been doing it since August because ever since that point, regardless if the Cubs ended in 1st, 2nd or last he'd be right. The Cubs are set up better in the future than the Sox are. I don't feel like a genius for saying it. Nor do I feel the need to say it in multiple threads and carry out arguments with multiple posters over it.

The fact of the matter is that is a White Sox fan base. People come here to talk about the White Sox, for the camaraderie and for the community. You are polluting in this community Austin. Plenty of people would prefer this community without you because of your behavior of late. Trolling is against the rules. You can read the forum's guidelines here: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules.

I thought that from his first post in this thread its kind of obvious.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
Absolutely there is. You have 3 potential aces on your roster for very cheap. Could be a long time before you get one pitcher as good as any of the big 3. It's not like sox have contracts that will cripple them the next 4 years.

Who is out there to sign that's going to greatly improve your team? The Sox are at least 3 hitters away from being in any discussion.

Assets

Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer, Eaton, Abreu, Tim Anderson

Essentially, other than trading Sale/Quintana or FA spending, the other choice is trading away prospects, like, let's say Montas and Micah Johnson...or maybe it's Spencer Adams or Danish, that's the typical route they would have gone before, identifying those minor leaguers least likely to live up to their billing.

Maybe someone else sees some excess value in Avi Garcia or maybe Saladino/Sanchez as their utility or swing guy, etc. Perhaps Trayce Thompson becomes a 2.5 WAR player instead of another Jordan Danks.

Of course, other teams know this and can understand we haven't internally-produced an impact position player (not counting C. Carter here, nor Abreu/Alexei) in over a decade.

Or dipping into South Korea or Japan for bargains, if there are any to be had.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:18 PM)

What about the last 9 years doesn't scream "desperation"? Look at where the Astros and Cubs are now.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
The 1 game format is exciting for fans of the other 28 teams, horrible for the 2 fanbases and teams involved. Pirates won 98 games and get kicked out in just 1 game.

I agree that the Pirates (or Cubs if they had lost) deserve a better fate then a 1 game play off. Teams that win more games then they lose deserve a shot in the postseason (not just this 1 game "postseason"), and someone needs to pucker up and tell owners to F off and switch to a more shortened season in favor of a longer postseason.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 05:00 AM)
What about the last 9 years doesn't scream "desperation"? Look at where the Astros and Cubs are now.

Sox have already added the top college pitcher the last two years. Pretty good start to rebuilding a team while not losing the best assets in the majors.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)

I love how a lot of the chronic complainers act like we've averaged 95 losses over the last decade. Boo freaking hoo, it hasn't been that bad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)
Sox have already added the top college pitcher the last two years. Pretty good start to rebuilding a team while not losing the best assets in the majors.

At the end of the day, the White Sox have been abysmal at drafting positional talent. Their pitching draft picks are good, but their batting and defense continue to be a problem despite strong pitching staffs.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
I love how a lot of the chronic complainers act like we've averaged 95 losses over the last decade. Boo freaking hoo, it hasn't been that bad.

Either your eyes, your television, or a combination of both are not working.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)

You used the term rebuild. And I'll argue, if that's what it is, they need to do it right so they can have sustained success.

Good grief, the WC games have nothing to do with the Sox and people still want to b**** about them in this WC thread. White Sox b****ing has spread like a filthy disease and has expanded beyond the boundaries of the Pale Hose forums.

Anyway, back to post season Baseball. For those interested, here's the schedule and probables.

http://m.mlb.com/postseason-schedule

Call me crazy but I'm liking the Astros chances against KC.

Edited by BlackSox13

Cubs are officially the darlings of Chicago again. You get in the playoffs and win the WC game, now they have a real series coming up.

It's a young team with key pieces coming back. No matter what happens they'll be so excited for baseball next April while we Sox fans are just clamoring to finally get over .500 during a season again.

Well, the White Sox now truly have to compete against the Cubs which truthfully is probably good for us fans. When the Cubs totally sucked and the sox were great, the Sox sat on their hands and let the franchise crumble instead of building on 05 which is such a long time ago.

Good luck Hahn, Jerry, marketing, everybody trying to compete with Cub mania now!!

On the field, Good win for the Scrubs. That was a nice play by Bryant at third to turn the DP in the sixth or seventh. Kept the 4-0 lead safe and sound.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
You're right. Let me be like everyone else here cheering for a team they don't actually caring about the way they cheer for the White Sox.

Good Lord are you annoying.

Go join a Cubs forum so you can cheer for them to your heart's content and stop pestering us with your Cubs bulls***. Better do it quick because that bandwagon is starting to get full.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
"Go Cubs Go" is being BLASTED literally five feet away from me. On a loop. I'm listening to my music but it's so damn loud I can barely hear it.

FML.

AustinIllini, I wish I lived in Austin this month. This is terrible.

I'm going to work soon. I'm going to hear about the cubs all day. Not looking forward to it.

Fox Chicago news was on briefly as I went to bed last night. The reporter walking around Waveland or wherever was asking people if they "have been waiting their whole lives for this." Unless they were born in November 2008 or later, they've seen the Cubs get exactly this far already. Calm down on the hype, dude.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Fox Chicago news was on briefly as I went to bed last night. The reporter walking around Waveland or wherever was asking people if they "have been waiting their whole lives for this." Unless they were born in November 2008 or later, they've seen the Cubs get exactly this far already. Calm down on the hype, dude.

lol that is funny considering they were in the NLDS in 07 and 08 and even farther in 03 and I would imagine people on Waveland at that time are older than 12 haha