Sox Acquire All-Star 3B Todd Frazier from Reds in 3 team deal

Princess Dye

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
If the Sox got Upton/Cespedes, I would send Avi to Charlotte to start the year. He doesn't really have any value at the moment. Who knows, maybe he kills it and rebuilds some trade value allowing the Sox to flip him for someone.

Avi in AAA is great for the Sox OF depth chart. He won't like it, but he needs to work on his craft, and it is better for that to be done in the minors. He's young enough still.

QUOTE (ypres @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
Christ, I didn't even realise Garcia had a -11 DRS.

Think that's bad? Conor had -10 DRS in 65 games at 3B. ONLY 65!!!

To the contrary, Saladino was +10 DRS in only 60 games at 3B. That's phenomenal. Let's hope that transfers to SS. Alexei was at -6 DRS in 154 games. Yikes.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 05:43 AM)
Worse than Avi? Here's a gif of Avi playing RF last season, I ripped from mlb.tv:

WLdTl5c.gif

what what way to start the day off, with a great laugh. this was just as funny as the poster who wrote the post of his pet doing poop in his shoes and the kw conversation on the phone.

today i am ready to take on any problems which may come, but of nice laugh.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
Isn't Melky the worse fielder? Also, I suppose Cespedes could play RF and take your pick between Melky and Avi in LF. Also, LaRoche goes to the bench or Charlotte in this scenario.

Am I crazy for thinking trying Avi in LF might be serviceable? It's the only position where he has a positive DRS, UZR, and UZR/150. I think you try grooming him a little in AAA for LF.

If we acquire another outfielder, with Thompson gone, I'd prefer Shuck to Avi, as the 4TH outfielder. Sending Garcia to AAA to work on his game makes sense.

When facing a left handed starter, the Sox could move Melky to DH, sit La Roche and put Shuck in LF. Although he didn't hit LH pitching well last season, in his very limited at bats, Shuck normally hits LHP just fine. In fact, his career numbers are actually better vs LHP, than vs. RHP, which is unusual. Of course, he doesn't have much pop, but if the Sox acquire a power bat for the outfield, they won't need a power hitter to platoon with La Roche. Shuck is also a decent outfielder.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:10 AM)
If we acquire another outfielder, with Thompson gone, I'd prefer Shuck to Avi, as the 4TH outfielder. Sending Garcia to AAA to work on his game makes sense.

When facing a left handed starter, the Sox could move Melky to DH, sit La Roche and put Shuck in LF. Although he didn't hit LH pitching well last season, in his very limited at bats, Shuck normally hits LHP just fine. In fact, his career numbers are actually better vs LHP, than vs. RHP, which is unusual. Of course, he doesn't have much pop, but if the Sox acquire a power bat for the outfield, they won't need a power hitter to platoon with La Roche. Shuck is also a decent outfielder.

They have room for another bench player and it should be Avi. He'd make for a good platoon with Laroche and a nice late PH option which we'll need with Saladino and catcher spot at the bottom of the order.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
They have room for another bench player and it should be Avi. He'd make for a good platoon with Laroche and a nice late PH option which we'll need with Saladino and catcher spot at the bottom of the order.

I understand your rationale in using Avi as La Roche's platoon partner, and I think that he would perform adequately.

My preference for sending him to Charlotte is for his benefit. He would get much more playing time there, than he would just facing LH pitching, and DH'ing. He really needs to develop both his hitting and fielding, which he can better do playing every day.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
I understand your rationale in using Avi as La Roche's platoon partner, and I think that he would perform adequately.

My preference for sending him to Charlotte is for his benefit. He would get much more playing time there, than he would just facing LH pitching, and DH'ing. He really needs to develop both his hitting and fielding, which he can better do playing every day.

Agree. Let him work in left field and DH at Charlotte and in the event that LaRoche is terrible, release him and call up Avi.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)

Avi isn't worth developing any more than we have. He's just an extremely flawed player. Lets get the most of his value while we xan, while hiding his flaws. He'd still get plenty of AB's up here.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:10 AM)

It should be a RH hitting OF that plays good defense as the 4th guy. Someone like Austin Jackson. This would allow you to rotate the DH spot among the OF's vs LHP

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 18, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)

yes to this. The late inning pinch hit scenario for the bottom of the order is why Avi should stay as a bench piece imo. Both he and Schuck can fit.

Listening to both Hahn interviews now. One thing I kind of want to know is do GMs just call around and see in general what prospects other teams like of theirs to call in for three team deals. That piece on the Dodgers saying they could get Frazier was so interesting, I wonder if we call them to bring them in or are just talking to them about their players and it comes up.