Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, tray said:

The rumors indicate that the Sox may have Offers on the table for Machado and  forHarper.

What if they both say yes to the White Sox ?

If they are of the now popular “swell-opt” variety, we rejoice as we have flexibility in 3 years to opt in or let go and sign someone else or focus on internal talent ready to be paid (Lopez, Moncada, et al)

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

#1 Zero chance it happens. 

#2 See #1

I have to think that Hahn has a wildest dream number that it could potentially happen but he knows that is extremely unlikely. But there is a scenario numbers wise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

I have to think that Hahn has a wildest dream number that it could potentially happen but he knows that is extremely unlikely. But there is a scenario numbers wise. 

To see the Sox locking up somewhere around half of a future payroll in 2 players would be a pretty awful idea to start with, and it was also one of the very few things that Rick basically gave a straight answer to at Soxfest.

• Like 1

I think the Padres are interested only insofar that it appears they might be able to get a discount (from initial expectations) and/or a deal structure that there may be a way out for them if things go badly (like a swell opt structure). And since they have big visions for their future, they don't like the idea of anyone else getting some kind of good deal on these guys.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I think the Padres are interested only insofar that it appears they might be able to get a discount (from initial expectations) and/or a deal structure that there may be a way out for them if things go badly (like a swell opt structure). And since they have big visions for their future, they don't like the idea of anyone else getting some kind of good deal on these guys.

Right, while I'm not concerned about the padres, this is something I didn't want.

While a number of posters are adament that you don't negotiate against yourself, what I didn't want was for sox to sit on a number so low that it still allowed other teams to get into mix. Do I think Pads could scrape together an 8 year 250 mill contract? No.

Do I think they could work out a 7 year 175 contract?  Absolutely.

Now, I have no freakin clue what number the sox are on and years they are on, and maybe they are at a high enough number that repels everyone but the phillies. that 175 number sucked for basically this reason. And once someone is invested enough to offer once, you have no idea how far that could take them.

22 minutes ago, tray said:

The rumors indicate that the Sox may have Offers on the table for Machado and  forHarper.

What if they both say yes to the White Sox ?

Bring them to Navy Pier.  Have both of them, Rick Hahn, and a cameraman on the Ferris wheel.  When it gets to its highest point, Rick will flip a coin.

"Heads it's Mucho Machado.  Tails we have a Happy Harper."

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Bring them to Navy Pier.  Have both of them, Rick Hahn, and a cameraman on the Ferris wheel.  When it gets to its highest point, Rick will flip a coin.

"Heads it's Mucho Machado.  Tails we have a Happy Harper."

"Coin falls off the ferris wheel we tell Jerry we sign bothand here we GOOHGODITSLIPPED. SIGN BOTH JERRY!"

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not a fan of Padres involvement in this. We really need the Phillies to get Harper.

I posted to you maybe 3 weeks ago once I saw Padres were moving Myers from 3rd base that the mystery team might be the Padres. I don't think you believed me . :) Well that was on Machado.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

#1 Zero chance it happens. 

#2 See #1

You missed the point.

*IF* the Sox have offers on the table for both players there absolutely is some chance that both decide to deal with the Sox or even to accept their Offer.

If the Sox have Offers on the table for both, they must at least be considering the possibility of signing both.  So no, there is not a zero chance.

Machado, Harper  and the White Sox may want to do deals that would amount a shot heard 'round the world. Shock and Awe.

For Jerry, this would be remindful of his signing of Fisk/Luzinski  Money wise, the Michael Jordan contract with Pippen and supporting players indicate that Jerry will pay

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Quin said:

"Coin falls off the ferris wheel we tell Jerry we sign bothand here we GOOHGODITSLIPPED. SIGN BOTH JERRY!"

And falls on top of Manny Machado's skull and kills him as he was skipping by with balloons hanging out with his buddys Alonzo and Jay who had just convinced him to sign with the White Sox.

1 minute ago, tray said:

You missed the point.

*IF* the Sox have offers on the table for both players there absolutely is some chance that both decide to deal with the Sox or even to accept their Offer.

If the Sox have Offers on the table for both, they must at least be considering the possibility of signing both.  So no, there is not a zero chance.

Machado, Harper  and the White Sox may want to do deals that would amount a shot heard 'round the world. Shock and Awe.

For Jerry, this would be remindful of his signing of Fisk/Luzinski  Money wise, the Michael Jordan contract with Pippen and supporting players indicate that Jerry will pay

Or they told them the first to sign would get the dollars to prevent something like this from happening and handicapping the franchise for the next decade, as well as putting pressure on one of the two players to be the first to sign.

5 minutes ago, tray said:

You missed the point.

Hahn said they weren’t going to get both, and there’s no reason not to believe him. It’s pretty much zero. 

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

One thing that could really destroy things for the Sox is a 3rd team involved at a serious level.

If I remember right when the Padres tossed their hat into the mix they had said they jumped in because the bidding was low and they would remain serious as long as the bidding was reasonable. Something to that effect.

What makes the Padres so confusing is nobody in the media knows how much is too much before the Padres bow out. I'm thinking they jumped in because of the rumored 175M but they might back out if this get into the mid-upper 200's. Ha ha, or so I hope.

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

If I remember right when the Padres tossed their hat into the mix they had said they jumped in because the bidding was low and they would remain serious as long as the bidding was reasonable. Something to that effect.

What makes the Padres so confusing is nobody in the media knows how much is too much before the Padres bow out. I'm thinking they jumped in because of the rumored 175M but they might back out if this get into the mid-upper 200's. Ha ha, or so I hope.

You can make the same point for the White Sox.  No one really knows their pain point.  The rumor out there from team reporters is $300 at absolute tops, but our offers don't appear to have approached anywhere near there as the highest one out there is $250.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You can make the same point for the White Sox.  No one really knows their pain point.  The rumor out there from team reporters is $300 at absolute tops, but our offers don't appear to have approached anywhere near there as the highest one out there is $250.

The main difference between the Sox and Padres is that the Sox have been in it since the beginning. The Padres are in it now because the bids seem to be low. While nobody truly knows how much either team is willing to spend, that makes it seem pretty obvious that the Sox are willing to spend more. 

The Padres are a threat because their ownership group is about as popular as Loria in Miami.

They almost would prefer to see Machado opt out after 3-4 years, but desperately need him right now for credibility with the fans.

Of course, the biggest problem with this is either player would be suppressing their offensive numbers because of PetCo...it would be easier (for example) for Machado to play SS for the Rockies and then move to 3B, replacing Arenado and putting up the massive offensive numbers before going back out onto the market in 2020 or 2021.   Just not sure the Rockies would risk alienating Nolan.

Also, it still seems like a lot of work to sign for even three years with a team you really don’t want to be paired with.  And the Dodgers are a massive roadblock in that division, compared to the Indians.  Plus the national media doesn’t pay much attention to the West Coast teams, other than both LA teams and SF.  Finally, marketing deals in SD compared to his presence in a major market?  Almost negligible.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Good point. To me the difference is that the Sox were in on these guys from day one. The Sox had an idea of what it would take to get involved and are still in the mix.  The Padres jumped in because they thought they thought they could get an all star player on blue light special. 

Trying to look at this objectively based on rumors and quotes from both teams, I do feel the Sox are willing to go higher than SD. 

SD is the perv that purposely shows up late to the party looking to score a drunk chick. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Hahn said they weren’t going to get both, and there’s no reason not to believe him. It’s pretty much zero. 

Or you know, he was just posturing.  You keep your leverage to both agents if you say your plan is to only get one, if you have offers out to them both and make them think whichever signs first is the one they get.  There would be zero reason to ever come out and say anything along the lines of getting both players, or that signing both is a realistic possibility.  There have been too many leaks already and they aren't happy about it.

1 minute ago, soulfly said:

Or you know, he was just posturing.  You keep your leverage to both agents if you say your plan is to only get one, if you have offers out to them both and make them think whichever signs first is the one they get.  There would be zero reason to ever come out and say anything along the lines of getting both players, or that signing both is a realistic possibility.  There have been too many leaks already and they aren't happy about it.

It’s possible, but I can’t think of an objective reason for them to actually sign both players. 

There’s no evidence to suggest the White Sox suddenly want to have payrolls in the top five in the league every year, which would be pretty much required if they’re going to roster two $30-35mm per year players for the next decade and still actually try to put a decent team on the field around them. 

So yeah, you COULD be right, but it would go against everything the team has ever done, and against everything the team has said, and runs counter to the long-term goal of sustained contention that has been implied both by the team’s actions and the team’s official remarks. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils