Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

I've had more time to think about this and it sucks still.

If this was really a family decision, then we were never in this thing. We were used as leverage to get the Phillies to pay up.

If we were set on contending like many of the reports said, I'm not sure if that will still be an option at this point.

We thought we were gonna get Wheeler and Hamels and it may turn into DK and Pineda. 

Has anyone heard from Hahn and Kenny? I bet these two are still pissed to the end of the Earth. And I'm also sure Steve Stone was talking about Wheeler, thinking our higher bid would seal the deal. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If this was really a family decision, then we were never in this thing. We were used as leverage to get the Phillies to pay up.

If we were set on contending like many of the reports said, I'm not sure if that will still be an option at this point.

We thought we were gonna get Wheeler and Hamels and it may turn into DK and Pineda. 

Has anyone heard from Hahn and Kenny? I bet these two are still pissed to the end of the Earth. And I'm also sure Steve Stone was talking about Wheeler, thinking our higher bid would seal the deal. 

They need to regroup and go hard after Strasburg. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Many times these disappointments become blessings in disguise.  Lets see what happens over the next week or two.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shago said:

Let’s put this in perspective, Chris Sale has a $145M contract thru 2024 - this is dumb money for a high risk #2 ... maybe the Red Sox will trade us Sale back

The difference, though...is that Sale had JUST helped deliver a World Series title in the previous season before signing that extension.

Obviously, they'd probably love to take it back, but it's not like the additions of Price and Sale can be categorically declared failures when they both contributed to a 4th WS title in the span of two decades.

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Who’s gonna be better the next 2 years - Greinke or Wheeler? Ryu or Wheeler?

Ryu will be roughly 50% of the Wheeler price in terms of overall dollars.

That said, he's built for an all-in team (right now, like the Twins)...he'll want to stay as close to Korea as possibly, he wants to join his countryman Choo on the Rangers to complete their newly-revitalized rotation playing in a brand-new stadium or go back to the Dodgers if they miss on Cole/Strasburg...and, of course, he has Boras as his agent.  And he can hardly ever stay healthy for a full season.  Etc. Etc.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ryu will be roughly 50% of the Wheeler price in terms of overall dollars.

That said, he's built for an all-in team (right now, like the Twins)...he'll want to stay as close to Korea as possibly, he wants to join his countryman Choo on the Rangers to complete their newly-revitalized rotation playing in a brand-new stadium or go back to the Dodgers if they miss on Cole/Strasburg...and, of course, he has Boras as his agent.  And he can hardly ever stay healthy for a full season.  Etc. Etc.

Are you saying even with Grandall, Ryu and a couple of pieces to round out the roster we’re not a wild card contender?

Also, why are we giving reasons for why Ryu would sign elsewhere when the theme the last 20 pages is money talks?

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I like Giolito and his dad a lot more 

The Giolitos in general are a bunch of beauties. Lucas is by far my favorite player/human being just from interactions. 

Oh and Rodon's wife doubled down on her tweet saying she loves the org and probably worded that wrong.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Many times these disappointments become blessings in disguise.  Lets see what happens over the next week or two.

Thanks for reason and optimism Poppy.   The off season is a long way from being done.   And for all the glory being bestowed upon Wheeler...the Mets did let him walk away.  All of these pitchers have had major arm injuries in the recent past and we want them badly.  Yet we have this really good lefty, Rodon, tied up for two more years coming back from injury and no one counts on him for anything. Not saying the future is tied to him but not sure Wheeler or Ryu are better than Rodon and he's lefty and with us already.  

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This makes perfect sense. You can’t force someone to take an offer if they dont want to. It’s like any job offer you get from a company. You either take it or leave it depending on certain factors or deal breakers. Usually it’s more money or incentives or benefits, etc. but that wasn’t a factor in this case. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, maloney.adam said:

This makes perfect sense. You can’t force someone to take an offer if they dont want to. It’s like any job offer you get from a company. You either take it or leave it depending on certain factors or deal breakers. Usually it’s money or incentives or benefits, etc. but that wasn’t a factor in this case. 

But this is something they should know about before making him their Plan A.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Thanks for reason and optimism Poppy.   The off season is a long way from being done.   And for all the glory being bestowed upon Wheeler...the Mets did let him walk away.  All of these pitchers have had major arm injuries in the recent past and we want them badly.  Yet we have this really good lefty, Rodon, tied up for two more years coming back from injury and no one counts on him for anything. Not saying the future is tied to him but not sure Wheeler or Ryu are better than Rodon and he's lefty and with us already.  

The Mets have zero money to work with, so them letting him walk doesn’t really mean anything.