Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

So are they allowed to turn around and shop this guy since he was highly sought after?  If so they should see what they could get.  Some closers don't adapt if this is a guy for the 8th.  Sox do not have the best of luck with NL arms.   

Yeah, almost would be happier if we offloaded the entire Hendriks deal…just so much risk their value goes down (at least one of them) and it becomes a tough contract to move.

By the nature of those salaries, one will be the highest paid non-closer in the history of the sport.  Hard to see both of them maintaining value minus Kimbrel turning into A.Miller.  Or worst-case, Hendriks goes through a week like Jansen recently did and uncertainty sets in…Hendriks can’t adapt to set-up and then Kimbrel blows up as well. 

In terms of contract risk, it certainly happened to the Cubs with the Heyward, Chatwood, Darvish and Kimbrel deals.

We already have some in Grandal and Keuchel to a lesser extent.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What comes first for him 300 big league hits or 300 big league games missed from injury?

I’m shocked Hahn had the guts to watch it come back and bite them across town for a half-decade…not unlike Cubs’ fans upset over Jimenez and Cease.  Now they get their chance for revenge if the Sox don’t win a WS or Kimbrel spectacularly implodes again.

Edited by caulfield12

43 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

No chance. I'm down on Yoan as much as anyone right now, but he is a natural at third, and was....shaky at best, at second.

Things change, that was a snapshot. He can get better. Nothing says he can’t. He now hits like a second baseman anyway. Burger, Moncada, TA and Abreu is a slugging infield to rival any.  The e lineup is what needs more juice. This is an easy way to do it.

3 minutes ago, beautox said:

Sad to see Madrigal go; excited about Kimbrel's impact on this bullpen and the post-season. World Series or bust!

Burger better get his 2B glove ready

I have mixed feelings. I like to see the aggression. And the system can overcome the loss. Im not that sure about getting full value for Madrigal, and we can’t beat the Dodgers now anyway.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Looking big picture, I’m absolutely shocked Preller didn’t overpay for Berrios, held onto all their top prospects, and basically declared this wasn’t quite their all-in year, yet.  (On paper, they have the easiest remaining schedule and have beaten LAD 6 of their last 7.)

Equally shocked Hahn seemingly got a bit impatient and decided to go for it all this year…and mortgaged a bit of the future (2023-25.)

Whatever happens, that NL Wild Card death match will be high wire tension.

And how the White Sox Nasty Boys 2/bullpen works in reality will be equally fascinating.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Looking big picture, I’m absolutely shocked Preller didn’t overpay for Berrios, held onto all their top prospects, and basically declared this wasn’t quite their all-in year, yet.  (On paper, they have the easiest remaining schedule and have beaten LAD 6 of their last 7.)

Equally shocked Hahn seemingly got a bit impatient and decided to go for it all this year…and mortgaged a bit of the future (2023-25.)

Whatever happens, that NL Wild Card death match will be high wire tension.

And how the White Sox Nasty Boys 2/bullpen works in reality will be equally fascinating.

The Padres really set off this super team wave at the trade deadline.  Once they really started going crazy, a  lot of other teams jumped in too.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My beef is investing in RP's. It's just a terrible strategy.

If I'm trading my assets, I'm trading for a Position player.

Why not do Crochet, Madrigal and Burger for a Buxton? I'd like to shove like that.

This move is about winning a World Series in 2021 and Kimbrel is pretty much hands down the most impactful player we could have added.  If you’re only worried about maximizing surplus value, then we lost the deal the moment the trade was accepted.  But if the goal is to win a championship, you just added arguably the best reliever in baseball to a bullpen that will also include Liam Hendriks & Michael Kopech.  We basically have three guys that can come in any situation and hold a lead behind what should be one of the top playoff playoff rotations.  Yeah, the price sucks but Madrigal can be replaced in some capacity and Kimbrel can be flipped for prospects in the offseason if need be to recoup some of the cost.  This is a huge fucking move that greatly improves our playoff chances.  People should be fucking pumped.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Things change, that was a snapshot. He can get better. Nothing says he can’t. He now hits like a second baseman anyway. Burger, Moncada, TA and Abreu is a slugging infield to rival any.  The e lineup is what needs more juice. This is an easy way to do it.

Why do we keep assuming Moncada will move or Burger is actually capable of handling the position of 2B in anything more than a stopgap sort of way, like Vaughn yesterday?

• Like 1

Just now, Tomtom said:

If they sign Story in the off season, I’ll be OK with this!

It all comes down to health now with how Eloy : Robert : Grandal preform… what production they get out of RF… and how the starters hold up.

Those things are all that matter now. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why do we keep assuming Moncada will move or Burger is actually capable of handling the position of 2B in anything more than a stopgap sort of way, like Vaughn yesterday?

Fair enough. But many things happen in baseball that are far from guaranteed. Teams try things out.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The Padres really set off this super team wave at the trade deadline.  Once they really started going crazy, a  lot of other teams jumped in too.

Frazier and Hudson isn’t nothing…they addressed two needs, but they are now clearly weak in the back end of the rotation.

Beyond Darvish and Musgrove, it’s 2020 White Sox time.   Snell? Paddack? Injury-prone Lamet?   Yikes.

Weathers has honestly been their third best, but he can’t yet go deep into games…and it seems they are pointed more towards 2022 with Clevinger, Lamet and Morejon all returning at 100%.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just, I don't know... It's a lot of money tied up in a lot of short-term, high risk value. The only other team in recent history that decided to dump this much money into the back-end of their bullpen is the fucking Rockies, and we're dumping money AND player talent into it.

I think there's a good reason that the progressive teams sell off good bullpen pieces every year and seem to find a way to make new ones out of thin air. There are methods for maximizing raw stuff, but these guys typically don't have enough tricks to make it last very long. I know Kimbrel has made a whole career of it, but he also looked completely destroyed for the two season prior to this. Once again, the Sox are making an upgrade, but doing it in a very inefficient way with a fiscal policy that doesn't have much room for inefficiency.

I just hope it works.

You’re making assumptions about their financial situation going forward and I’d argue it’s hard to imagine they make this move if there is not sizable payroll increase coming.  Both attendance & ratings are way up this year and Jerry has historically sported top 10 payrolls (or better) when the fans have showed up.  That’s not to mention that playoff revenue is all but a certainty at this point.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re planning on a major push for Semien or something of that nature this offseason.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Funny that the Chapman trade is often looked at as the beginning of the end of the Cubs ability to dominate - as overpaying for 2 months of a closer was looked upon poorly - and here the Sox are a few years later paying a ton for 2 months (+1 year) of a set up guy.

It's a shame that none of the reliever prospects panned out because this sucks to pay that much in assets to acquire a bullpen guy.

I don't think madrigal has anywhere near the ceiling Torres does and did. And while that trade hurt, it was Quintana that killed them

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Frazier and Hudson isn’t nothing…they addressed two needs, but they are now clearly weak in the back end of the rotation.

Beyond Darvish and Musgrove, it’s 2020 White Sox time.   Snell? Paddack? Injury-prone Lamet?   Yikes.

Weathers has honestly been their third best, but he can’t yet go deep into games…and it seems they are pointed more towards 2022 with Clevinger, Lamet and Morejon all returning at 100%.

I would have liked Hudson...I wonder if the Sox inquired and what the Nationals wanted?

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic