Are we allowed to get nervous about Moncada at this point?

ron883

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Wasn't his curveball supposed to be his best pitch in the minors? I'm not disagreeing with you on how it's looked for us, but I swear that everything I've read listed it as plus plus.

From games I've watched him in the minors and highlights I've seen, it's still there and it's nasty when it's on. That said, it seems like he's having issues consistently finding the feel for it. I agree with what a lot of others have said, he's had luck on his side so far since he's been up but he also seems to have only had his good stuff for a start or two. Either way, he's still a work in progress but you certainly can't be mad about the results so far.

Moncada is playing some good baseball lately since switching bat weights. He's always had that eye, but it's nice to see him making adjustments at the MLB level. The pitchers and fielders positiioning will undoubtedly readjust to him as they gather more info on him So it will be interesting to see if he again can readjust. I still maintain that he won’t be that “next level” player that we are all expecting and hoping for however I do think he’ll have a few all-star seasons and be an above replacement player based on his speed, power and tools.

Side note to make on this. I wish we would just extend Abreu in the next 12 months. I think he likes this team and is comfortable with the direction they are headed. After he knocks in a few more RBI’s he’ll be one of FOUR players to ever start their career with 20+ HR and 100+ RBI’s in his first 4 seasons. I believe the others are Ted Williams, Dimaggio, and Pujols. To think some of the lineups he’s done this on?? I just think it’s foolish to not keep him around. I think he’s the type of guy who’s going to be productive until 34-35. He puts in the work, is a student of the game. A great mentor for the young guys. Can slide into a DH role as necessary, etc. He’s arb eligible, but will be a FA earliest in 2020. If half way through 2018 he’s again doing the same at age 31? I say you buy out his 2019 and 2020 arb years and extend him 2 more additional years. That’s 4 year extension at say? $15-17mm a year? I’m not smart enough on arb numbers. Not sure what he’ll get each year for 3 years. But if you go over market value there, and then under market value for the last two years? I think its smart.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Moncada is playing some good baseball lately since switching bat weights. He's always had that eye, but it's nice to see him making adjustments at the MLB level. The pitchers and fielders positiioning will undoubtedly readjust to him as they gather more info on him So it will be interesting to see if he again can readjust. I still maintain that he won’t be that “next level” player that we are all expecting and hoping for however I do think he’ll have a few all-star seasons and be an above replacement player based on his speed, power and tools.

Side note to make on this. I wish we would just extend Abreu in the next 12 months. I think he likes this team and is comfortable with the direction they are headed. After he knocks in a few more RBI’s he’ll be one of FOUR players to ever start their career with 20+ HR and 100+ RBI’s in his first 4 seasons. I believe the others are Ted Williams, Dimaggio, and Pujols. To think some of the lineups he’s done this on?? I just think it’s foolish to not keep him around. I think he’s the type of guy who’s going to be productive until 34-35. He puts in the work, is a student of the game. A great mentor for the young guys. Can slide into a DH role as necessary, etc. He’s arb eligible, but will be a FA earliest in 2020. If half way through 2018 he’s again doing the same at age 31? I say you buy out his 2019 and 2020 arb years and extend him 2 more additional years. That’s 4 year extension at say? $15-17mm a year? I’m not smart enough on arb numbers. Not sure what he’ll get each year for 3 years. But if you go over market value there, and then under market value for the last two years? I think its smart.

He only has two more arb years. 2018 and 2019. As you said, this is his fourth season.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
OMG he JUST turned 22 years old everyone!!! give the kid some time to make his own adjustments at the MLB level. he's not even CLOSE to being in the "prime" years of his baseball career, so to say he's a "borderline all-star" is ridiculous at this point of his major league career.

He is a "borderline all-star" right now. As long as he keeps improving, which he could and should, he will be among the best players in the game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
My gut tells me somewhere around 76-79 wins. Under .500 over the first half of the season, around or above .500 in the second half.

That's my hope. Let the first half play out how it will, and then when Eloy and Kopech join the team at the halfway point play competitive enough ball in the 2nd half that this can be used as a selling point to sign one of the big free agents (Arenado?) and start the competitive window in 2019.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
My gut tells me somewhere around 76-79 wins. Under .500 over the first half of the season, around or above .500 in the second half.

Yah, but if Rodon, Giolito and Lopez are healthy, and Kopech really joins the club 4-6 weeks in, the pitching will just be too good lose 85-90 games. Giolito and Lopez will certainly take some lumps, but they're supremely talented. Bullpen would need some major improvement for it to matter, though.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)

He's a victim of the new cliche from fans: He's too old. He'll turn 31 before the start of next season. Too old to commit big bucks to. I guess right now the prime years for a ballplayer are 25 to 30. After that? Time to move on.