Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

That might be why the return looks light. Cincy cheaping out again.

Obviously Suarez looks overpaid right now, but I don't think it's impossible at all for him to bounce back to being a pretty good player. ~11.5M AAV type of deal over 3 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things anyways.

5 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

The negativity here is just unbelievable. Here we are coming off a 93 win season that wasn't even better because of terrible injury luck, we got young stars all over the diamond,  we have five starting pitchers that could win the Cy Young (Keuchel was top five in Cy Young voting ONE YEAR AGO),  the defense up the middle is as good as any team, we have a bullpen that had great pieces and we've just added two of the best arms available making them arguably the best bullpen in the league...Vegas and every power ranking around has us as a top five team...and post after post after post is "everything sucks" and the only thing that can fix this team is if we get this aging, below average defensive outfielder who had a career worst season (Keuchel is done but Conforto just had a one off??) whom the Mets trying desperately to win, with money no object, and knowing their players better than anyone say, hard pass?   Let's see how things play out.  It's in the 50's tomorrow....spring is in the air...can we just try to pretend we are at the most exciting time ever to be a Sox fan?

The offseason is still young. I assume the Sox are still going to make some more moves. 

Having said that, I assumed you watched the playoffs in 2021. The Sox were not very competitive against the Astros. I also have serious questions on how they would have stacked up against the Dodgers/Braves/Rays. 

Thus far, they are seemingly a worse team in 2022 than they were in 2021. And they've already spent around 17 million on new players.

That's why you are seeing the comments you are seeing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tony said:

The offseason is still young. I assume the Sox are still going to make some more moves. 

Having said that, I assumed you watched the playoffs in 2021. The Sox were not very competitive against the Astros. I also have serious questions on how they would have stacked up against the Dodgers/Braves/Rays. 

Thus far, they are seemingly a worse team in 2022 than they were in 2021. And they've already spent around 17 million on new players.

The gap between the Sox and other teams has closed instead of gotten larger.  Take the Mariners for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If it was an even swap?  Sure.  But they gave up a Chris Sale's worth of prospects to get him, when they just could have paid Freeman.

That's fair but at this point in their window I think  a teams payroll becomes more important than the prospects.   It's one of the problems with handing out a $20 million per for four years to Conforto...we're going to want that payroll flexibility in 23, 24 to resign Gio, make a trade deadline splash, extend Vaughn.   

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

The gap between the Sox and other teams has closed instead of gotten larger.  Take the Mariners for example.

OMG...so no one here sees internal growth with:

Name                      Age
Garrett Crochet    22
Andrew Vaughn    23
Luis Robert            23
Eloy Jimenez          24
Nick Madrigal        24
Romy Gonzalez    24
Gavin Sheets        25
Dylan Cease         25
Michael Kopech   25
Yoan Moncada    26

No one has a core of 26 and younger guys that are as good as this group.  And we have no bad contracts on the books.  And right now we have a top five payroll...we will b**** about everything. 

• Fire 1

Just now, michelangelosmonkey said:

Garrett Crochet    22
Andrew Vaughn    23
Eloy Jimenez          24
Nick Madrigal        24
Romy Gonzalez    24
Gavin Sheets        25
Dylan Cease         25
Michael Kopech   25
Yoan Moncada    26

No one has a core of 26 and younger guys that are as good as this group.  And we have no bad contracts on the books.  And right now we have a top five payroll...we will b**** about everything. 

Wait when did we get Madrigal back? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Suarez could easily earn his contract and that's considered taken money to lessen a deal. The Reds are embarrassing. 

I've wanted the Sox to target Mahle of almost any guy available this off-season so would love to see what that costs.

I'm looking to see if they have any other bad contracts that make sense to take back to lessen the cost but they don't really fit the team, unless you want to take on 1 year/$8 mill of Shogo Akiyama to straight up release haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Suarez could easily earn his contract and that's considered taken money to lessen a deal. The Reds are embarrassing. 

I've wanted the Sox to target Mahle of almost any guy available this off-season so would love to see what that costs.

Reds are straight giving players away, we should be exploring what it would take to get Mahle right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Garrett Crochet    22
Andrew Vaughn    23
Eloy Jimenez          24
Nick Madrigal        24
Romy Gonzalez    24
Gavin Sheets        25
Dylan Cease         25
Michael Kopech   25
Yoan Moncada    26

A. We don’t have Madrigal.

B. We lost Rodon.

C. Unless multiple players from that group takes a significant step, we aren’t getting past the first round.

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Garrett Crochet    22
Andrew Vaughn    23
Eloy Jimenez          24
Nick Madrigal        24
Romy Gonzalez    24
Gavin Sheets        25
Dylan Cease         25
Michael Kopech   25
Yoan Moncada    26

Got bad news for you about that little guy…

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm looking to see if they have any other bad contracts that make sense to take back to lessen the cost but they don't really fit the team, unless you want to take on 1 year/$8 mill of Shogo Akiyama haha

Moose is their main bad contract but it’s almost too bad to take on.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

A. We don’t have Madrigal.

B. We lost Rodon.

C. Unless multiple players from that group takes a significant step, we aren’t getting past the first round.

Good players listed, problem is other teams exist that have good young players and also pay for veteran stars 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

Really young teams rarely win right away.  They ran into a hot pitcher and the Astros are a bad match for the Sox pitching staff (power staff against the best fast ball hitting team in the leauge).  Still to draw wild conclusions on 4 games?    To say they are worse is just being dark.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Moose is their main bad contract but it’s almost too bad to take on.

Yeah like I said, doesn't really fit. Can't even say "well we can stick him at DH and see how it goes until we feel like not paying him" because we already have DH covered haha

• Like 1