Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Meanwhile, people on the board are saying we are misunderstanding that the lineup is stacked and you don't need to have an all-star at every position and having a couple weak spots is fine for a WS contender...

all the while, the Dodgers said hold my beer while I sign Freddie Freeman.

Newsflash: the Sox never have and never will be the Dodgers. The Sox offense IS stacked. Could they use a RF? Heck ya. Was Harrison an ideal add? Nah, not at all. Team is still really good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Unpopular opinion: Engel RF, Sheets DH, Vaughn Charlotte. 

Expecting Engel to hit *and* for his body to hold up playing every day feels like a fools errand. He shouldn't be counted as anything more than a 4th OF, platoon bat, defensive replacement, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Expecting Engel to hit *and* for his body to hold up playing every day feels like a fools errand. He shouldn't be counted as anything more than a 4th OF, platoon bat, defensive replacement, etc.

He won’t be, don’t worry. Just Jack being Jack. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is my one overly negative comment for the night....it’s shocking how poorly this roster has been handled since the day before last year’s trade deadline. You would have to try hard to mess up as much as they have.

Right, and honestly last year so many things went right for them to have the outcome they did. I know some things went wrong with injuries, but injuries happen to every team.

Robert has a history of injuries. Eloy has a history of injuries. Tim misses at least 20-30 days a season. Grandal is nearing a mid-30's catcher.

Last year the Sox had a AAA player carry their offense for a month. They had a 2 million dollar SP dominate baseball for over a half. Cease, Lynn and Giolito were all pretty much healthy all year with Cease taking a huge step forward. Everyone in their division had horrible years.

They got servicable performances from guys who are out of baseball. The Sox relying on continued development of young guys is just such a risky play by them. They needed to support these guys, not ride their backs solo the rest of the way.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Unpopular opinion: Engel RF, Sheets DH, Vaughn Charlotte. 

I know you dislike the Vaughn pick and will stick to your agenda no matter what but that is ridiculous. 

Right, and honestly last year so many things went right for them to have the outcome they did. I know some things went wrong with injuries, but injuries happen to every team.

Robert has a history of injuries. Eloy has a history of injuries. Tim misses at least 20-30 days a season. Grandal is nearing a mid-30's catcher.

Last year the Sox had a AAA player carry their offense for a month. They had a 2 million dollar SP dominate baseball for over a half. Cease, Lynn and Giolito were all pretty much healthy all year with Cease taking a huge step forward. Everyone in their division had horrible years.

They got servicable performances from guys who are out of baseball. The Sox relying on continued development of young guys is just such a risky play by them. They needed to support these guys, not ride their backs solo the rest of the way.

Very well said.  Instead of trying to improve the team, it feels more like they’re trying to maintain what happened in 2021.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I think people have really undersold the fact that the Sox don't have a DH. All this talk about Vaughn/Sheets in RF potentially being a "hole." Well, if we don't sign anyone they're both starting everyday. If Gavin Sheets was bad, would that honestly be that surprising? If he's bad, does that mean it's Harrison/Leury/Engel between 2B and RF while Vaughn DH's? That's how it's set up right now. Just horribly mismanaged. 

In a perfect world, Conforto is brought in to solve RF.  Sheets gets first crack at the DH job, with Eloy sliding in against LHP and Engel filling in LF.  And then Vaughn starts the year in AAA and is first man up as a need arises.  That way Andrew gets consistent at-bats (while we get a year of control back) and you have two options at DH in the event one of the two youngsters struggle.  I just don’t get how many years in a row Hahn can reasonably go without addressing RF.  At some point it should be considered a fireable offense.

And I’ve said it before, but the biggest single risk to missing the playoffs is a lack of starting pitching depth.  One of Giolito, Lynn, & Cease is going to miss an extended period of time at some point next season and we should build a rotation that can overcome that.  Right now, we’d be royally fucked with even a single injury to one of those three.  I don’t care how much money Keuchel makes, he needs to he relegated to bullpen status to start the year and can fill once that injury happens.  Given how bad his pure stuff is, Dallas has lost the benefit after last season.

• Like 1

And if everything works out, you win 107 games and have home field advantage throughout. And get a bye now!

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know you dislike the Vaughn pick and will stick to your agenda no matter what but that is ridiculous. 

Hahn sounded like it was a possibility that Vaughn goes to Charlotte. He also said Sheets has nothing more to prove down there.

When I heard the comments, it sounded like Hahn thought there wouldn't be enough AB for Vaughn with the big club. 

It has nothing to do with Vaughn himself, but more the roster construction. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Not every team has injuries to 3 starting position players where they each miss at least 3months. And the team still makes the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Newsflash: the Sox never have and never will be the Dodgers. The Sox offense IS stacked. Could they use a RF? Heck ya. Was Harrison an ideal add? Nah, not at all. Team is still really good. 

The Sox have 6 proven big league hitters in their lineup, and three complete question marks. I don't need them to be the Dodgers, but they could certainly try to be Toronto? And before you say the Sox have a higher payroll than Toronto; 1, I think Toronto makes another splash to get close; 2, toronto doesn't have 30 million tied up in two relievers. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, because they struggle to find underappreciated guys like Chris Taylor, Kike Rodriguez, Justin Turner and Max Muncy, etc., that are worth their weight in gold.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is my one overly negative comment for the night....it’s shocking how poorly this roster has been handled since the day before last year’s trade deadline. You would have to try hard to mess up as much as they have.

Not looking to defend Hahn, because he doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt, but how influence does Tony have on roster decisions?  Like the Kelly move was already sort of attributed to him and we know he’s in love with Leury.  Just wondering if Reinsdorf has made things worse by empowering Tony.

Just now, fathom said:

If Vaughn gets off to a slow start it’s very possible IMO

I loved the Vaughn pick, and the thought of trading him away makes me sick to my stomach. But I think there's a rational argument to be made that the best thing for his development would be playing every day in Charlotte and not having to face a level of pitching he might not be ready to have success against yet.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In a perfect world, Conforto is brought in to solve RF.  Sheets gets first crack at the DH job, with Eloy sliding in against LHP and Engel filling in LF.  And then Vaughn starts the year in AAA and is first man up as a need arises.  That way Andrew gets consistent at-bats (while we get a year of control back) and you have two options at DH in the event one of the two youngsters struggle.  I just don’t get how many years in a row Hahn can reasonably go without addressing RF.  At some point it should be considered a fireable offense.

And I’ve said it before, but the biggest single risk to missing the playoffs is a lack of starting pitching depth.  One of Giolito, Lynn, & Cease is going to miss an extended period of time at some point next season and we should build a rotation that can overcome that.  Right now, we’d be royally fucked with even a single injury to one of those three.  I don’t care how much money Keuchel makes, he needs to he relegated to bullpen status to start the year and can fill once that injury happens.  Given how bad his pure stuff is, Dallas has lost the benefit after last season.

He has bought himself a free pass asserting that they simply need to wait for Colas and Cespedes to come into their own.  Not that there's anything close to a consensus in the scouting community that either guy is a surefire everyday big leaguer.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I'm just not on board with Sheets taking away big league at bats from Vaughn. I just see no world where Sheets is more important to this teams future than Vaughn. I could be wrong, but I think the Sox caught lightening in a bottle with Sheets last year and expecting him to be a productive MLB DH is just too much imo. Vaughn ceiling as an offensive player is just so much higher, and wasting MLB at-bats on Sheets everyday instead of Vaughn would be a mistake imo.

My concern with Lynn is he's a pantload and he doesn't believe in conditioning and he's 35 years old.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm just not on board with Sheets taking away big league at bats from Vaughn. I just see no world where Sheets is more important to this teams future than Vaughn. I could be wrong, but I think the Sox caught lightening in a bottle with Sheets last year and expecting him to be a productive MLB DH is just too much imo. Vaughn ceiling as an offensive player is just so much higher, and wasting MLB at-bats on Sheets everyday instead of Vaughn would be a mistake imo.

Completely agree with all this.