Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Is anyone concerned that the other division teams just aren't making huge improvements. Fans are hoping for more competitive races. It's bad for baseball if the Sox run away with the division. 

Me neither lol

I’m more concerned with a repeat of last summer where they coasted into the playoffs and pretended that the lackadaisical play would flip into contender mode come October.  An improved division would hypothetically push the Sox down the stretch but doesn’t seem to be happening so far. 

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Rick Hahn is purely living on the laurels of the Abreu/Robert signing and the trades he made at the beginning of the rebuild. Outside of the Lynn trade, Hendriks signing, the organization had not done anything worth a damn to improve the team into a championship contender, and build an pipeline that could extend their window.

But hey, at least we’re not the Reds, right?

Abreu/Robert of course, was Ken Williams. Rick Hahn can't evaluate talent; nor can his top assistant.  
He squandered opportunity during the buildup period (post Sale trade) to improve the farm, trading viable relievers in July for Rule 5 guys (often who were also relievers) instead of a real prospect.  Note that he traded a prospect, not rule 5 guys, for each of Tepera, Hernandez, Mazara, et al.  

"Chicago White Sox" makes a compelling argument that there is no window beyond 2024. The problem is that there is so little to trade. On the major league roster, we have a) Sheets and b) Crochet.   Re Sheets, we are short LH hitters as it is; PLUS the team trading for Sheets  will want much more as they can't be sure about him just like we can't.  As for trading Crochet, well, I guess if all he is is a reliever (side note; another FRD for a reliever).  But I was kind of hoping with all of these veteran bullpen signings, they would "stretch him out" and see if he can start.

In the minors, it's the 2 guys from 2021 draft and maybe one of the pitchers who hasn't imploded his value.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bold prediction, but I think Manaea or Montas is on the White Sox by the end of the day.  With Chapman being moved, that now allows the A’s to focus on trading these guys.

Let’s hope so.  Now that Chapman is wrapped their FO can concentrate on the pieces that interest us. 

The Sox spent:

Velasquez - 3 million
Leury - 5.5 million
Harrison - 5.5 million
Kimbrel - 16 million
Kelly - 8.5 million
Graveman - 8 million

Total = 46.5 million

Sox could have spent:

Escobar - 10 million
Chris Martin - 2.5 million
Conforto - 22 million
Knebel - 10 million
Brad Miller - guessing 2.5-3 million

Total - 47-48 million

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Sox did a great job of putting together a lot of talent and giving themselves a great chance at winning their division. What they fail to realize is that other teams will continue to get better and ultimately pass them by if they stay content. Our offseason so far has been a terrible use of available resources. Right now I'd say the Yankees, Astros, and Blue Jays are a step above us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah. Eloy. And Sheets. 

You honestly believe that Gavin Sheets is a proven DH on a WS contender?

Like having Gavin Sheets makes you say... I don't want Kyle Schwarber instead? THat's crazy imo.

Eloy Jimenez is the teams starting LF'er. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox spent:

Velasquez - 3 million
Leury - 5.5 million
Harrison - 5.5 million
Kimbrel - 16 million
Kelly - 8.5 million
Graveman - 8 million

Total = 46.5 million

Sox could have spent:

Escobar - 10 million
Conforto - 22 million
Knebel - 10 million

Total - 47-48 million

Also talking like 100 million more guaranteed over their contract for the bottom group. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Madrigal, Stroman, Simmons (vs. Harrison) and Suzuki four players that will be closely followed and compared by Sox fans.

The Cubs still feel like a 75 win team at best, but they're at least getting to the point of being more interesting.  Clearly another full rebuild not in the cards, with Cubs' fans increasingly impatient.

Yeah I honestly don’t give a shit about any of those dudes just because they play across town.  If the Sox had signed Suzuki or Stroman I would have invested in them as players but since they aren’t here, who cares?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox spent:

Velasquez - 3 million
Leury - 5.5 million
Harrison - 5.5 million
Kimbrel - 16 million
Kelly - 8.5 million
Graveman - 8 million

Total = 46.5 million

Sox could have spent:

Escobar - 10 million
Conforto - 22 million
Knebel - 10 million

Total - 47-48 million

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bev0aax4ea1yk01ohin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Also talking like 100 million more guaranteed over their contract for the bottom group. 

Just breaking it down on a year to year basis. You can also carry the guys in the first group that are signed for mulitple years and then figure in more awful 1 year deals for 2023 that will happen lol

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox spent:

Velasquez - 3 million
Leury - 5.5 million
Harrison - 5.5 million
Kimbrel - 16 million
Kelly - 8.5 million
Graveman - 8 million

Total = 46.5 million

Goodness this is gross.

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

If the Phillies sign Schwarber or Bryant, the Padres get weird and sign Freeman, and the Marlins/Dbacks/Rockies all decide it's not a good time for them to invest in a big name FA, then what are realistic landing spots for Conforto or Castellanos?

Schwarber is done to Phillies. Castellanos won’t happen here (unfortunately).