Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

Predictions:

1. Williams retires, Hahn gets elevated or kicked to the vacant FO role. Getz becomes GM. Reinsdorf doesn’t hire outside of the organization because he will still make money and there’s not much incentive to hire someone outside when he’s just going to sell the team when he’s dead.

2. They trade many pitchers (Lynn, Graveman, Kelly, Middleton) at the deadline but not Giolito. They try to find takers for Grandal and Andrus.

3. They deal Anderson this offseason. They try to deal Moncada too but are stuck with the massive remaining balance on his contract. They deal Hendriks. Eloy and Robert stay.

4. The malaise from post-ASB 2021, 2022 and 2023 continues but it is expected and meanwhile ST prays they they draft, develop, make the right moves and whoever buys the team keeps them in Chicago and hires a new GM outside of the organization.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

44 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Predictions:

1. Williams retires, Hahn gets elevated or kicked to the vacant FO role. Getz becomes GM. Reinsdorf doesn’t hire outside of the organization because he will still make money and there’s not much incentive to hire someone outside when he’s just going to sell the team when he’s dead.

2. They trade many pitchers (Lynn, Graveman, Kelly, Middleton) at the deadline but not Giolito. They try to find takers for Grandal and Andrus.

3. They deal Anderson this offseason. They try to deal Moncada too but are stuck with the massive remaining balance on his contract. They deal Hendriks. Eloy and Robert stay.

4. The malaise from post-ASB 2021, 2022 and 2023 continues but it is expected and meanwhile ST prays they they draft, develop, make the right moves and whoever buys the team keeps them in Chicago and hires a new GM outside of the organization.

This sounds fairly accurate, and awful. 

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Don't think that'll happen not enough games left but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

And yes it's only 12 innings but he never even put that together since he came over last July with the Sox did he?

Aking the wrong guy . I'm not going to pour through game logs to figure it out. He'll get pounded soon enough.

58 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Predictions:

Why wouldn't they trade Giolito?

They can't afford him and even if they could only a moron would re-sign here and he isn't a moron.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 12:42 PM, Chisoxmb35 said:

For some reason this is even more depressing than it should be. Normally it would not matter that a journeyman goes elsewhere and does some things... This.. this thought is tough because it just further highlights how dire our situation truly is. 

Exactly.  This trend will only increase the number of good players who decline to sign with us.  It’s not worth the risk.  

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

This sounds fairly accurate, and awful. 

That’s what I thought. Realistic. How could it be tweaked to make it better if Hahn stays?

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why wouldn't they trade Giolito?

They can't afford him and even if they could only a moron would re-sign here and he isn't a moron.

Keep him and he gets the QO? Or is that not a thing anymore?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

That’s what I thought. Realistic. How could it be tweaked to make it better if Hahn stays?

Keep him and he gets the QO? Or is that not a thing anymore?

The QO is a thing still. Because of various rules, the White Sox would only receive a compensatory pick after the second round. Anything they get in a trade would be more valuable than that. 

Furthermore, these are still the White Sox. If they perceive any risk of the player accepting the QO and receiving $20 million, with only a late 2nd round pick reward, they may still pull a Rodon and decline it.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The QO is a thing still. Because of various rules, the White Sox would only receive a compensatory pick after the second round. Anything they get in a trade would be more valuable than that. 

Furthermore, these are still the White Sox. If they perceive any risk of the player accepting the QO and receiving $20 million, with only a late 2nd round pick reward, they may still pull a Rodon and decline it.

Thank you for explaining. I would be for dealing Giolito for prospects that can contribute but I bet the return would be light. I also worry that if they deal him they will only have Kopech and Cease in the rotation.

9 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Thank you for explaining. I would be for dealing Giolito for prospects that can contribute but I bet the return would be light. I also worry that if they deal him they will only have Kopech and Cease in the rotation.

They'll sign some broken down has been's to fill out the roster for next year. They are going to be just as bad or worse in 2024 so it really won't matter.

Only thing that potentially changes that is if JR is no longer the owner. 

23 minutes ago, The Beast said:

The comp I keep using from last year is Quintana to the Cardinals as the years of control, performance, and money aren’t that different. The Pirates got back 2 players. One was a minor leaguer ranked between 10 and 20 in the Cardinals system, I believe he hasn’t made the big leagues yet. The other was Oviedo, a pitcher who was a top 10 prospect in the Cardinals system a couple years ago, but who had spent some time in their bullpen - the Pirates moved him back to starting this year. If that’s what pitchers go for this year, then 2 guys who will wind up in the top 10, maybe top 6-7 in the White Sox’s system is probably the expected return.

• Thanks 1

I'm 100% convinced that firing Hahn will change absolutely nothing. 

This franchise is stuck in utter purgatory until we get an owner who has a vision of putting together a competitive franchise. Jerry has ZERO initiative to change anything. He is making money, he has his rings. 

We saw the Bulls replace GarPax with Eversley and AK, and it changed basically nothing. 

It's no different with Jerry's other money child, because he will just repeat what got him here. He'll hire somebody he knows into the role, hold onto them for WAY too long, and do f*** all to address how utterly far behind this franchise is in terms of farm development and analytical reliance. 

He doesn't care about winning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Glad Jerry loses a second game of revenue. They only need to average 12, 893 to surpass their all time attendance low at the new stadium (1999 1,338,851). They will likely have a higher attendance this season, but have a good chance falling below it in 2024 and beyond until there is a new owner, new board / executive officers and an entire new organization.

In terms of being 15 games under, the next low water mark is the final game of the 2019 season (17 under 72-89), with 18 (September 28 71-89), 19 (September 25 70-89), 20 (September 24 68-88), and 21 (September 17 65-86) games under all within the final two weeks of the 2019 season. 

There is a major gap to the final game of 2018, 38 games under ,500, the low water Win Loss mark of the 2018 season and Rick Hahn era, a mark not exceeded since the final game of 1970 played on October 1, 1970 (50 games under 56-106).

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Beast said:

Predictions:

The sad thing is we all know this is going to happen. I’d be shocked if it didn’t. 

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The comp I keep using from last year is Quintana to the Cardinals as the years of control, performance, and money aren’t that different. The Pirates got back 2 players. One was a minor leaguer ranked between 10 and 20 in the Cardinals system, I believe he hasn’t made the big leagues yet. The other was Oviedo, a pitcher who was a top 10 prospect in the Cardinals system a couple years ago, but who had spent some time in their bullpen - the Pirates moved him back to starting this year. If that’s what pitchers go for this year, then 2 guys who will wind up in the top 10, maybe top 6-7 in the White Sox’s system is probably the expected return.

Quintana is not a great comp though.  Dude got a 2/$26M contract following that great season because people remain skeptical of him.  Giolito has more value than him.  There are also a ton of teams in need of SP this year, which should help elevate a return.

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When does the accountability commence?

Not anytime soon.  Hahn was literally just talking about the how the Sox have the best record in the AL Central since May 1st three days ago.  He’s still talking like the playoffs (and a playoff run…lol) are still in the realm of possibility.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Quintana is not a great comp though.  Dude got a 2/$26M contract following that great season because people remain skeptical of him.  Giolito has more value than him.  There are also a ton of teams in need of SP this year, which should help elevate a return.

He also got a 2 year contract because he’s 34 years old this year and even Hahn doesn’t give 5 year deals to 34 year old pitchers. Giolito will not be 34 this offseason. Quintana wound up starting game 1 of the playoffs for the Cardinals. 

However, if you think you have an example of a pitcher moved with 2 months of control for a much higher price, I’d be happy to know who it was.

If Hahn survives this off-season, then there is no hope for the franchise until Jerry dies.  Not trying to be grim here, but no one can look at Rick’s track record and the epic failures of this season and not realize he is not capable of being an even average GM.  The proof is in what we’re paying per win, how overmatched our new manager is, and poor our farm system is.  At this point in his tenure, I can’t name one single strength of his.  Even the “extensions” have come to pass.  Rick Hahn is a straight up clown and his level of incompetence almost makes the crazy part of me wonder if he’s a chaos agent trying to help the Cubs win Chicago because he is literally that bad at his job.  f***, at this point Chris Get sounds like an upgrade and he oversees a bottom five farm system.  To say this franchise has hit rock bottom under Rick Hahn is an understatement.  You know it’s bad when you miss the “mired in mediocrity” days.  Unfortunately since then Rick has rebuilt this team in his own image and that is plain shitty.

May the baseball gods please take mercy our poor souls and rid the franchise of the abomination that is Richard Hahn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1