White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would you think he would get to hire his own staff? Tony didn't even get to hire his own staff. Do you really think Tony had any idea who Ethan Katz was before he was approached?

He got to hire Shelly Duncan and Dave Duncan would have been the pitching coach if he wanted. He also hired Cairo and McEwing was a guy of his from way back.  

I still think the next manager is a place holder for Jirschele and Washington makes sense based on how fundamentally bad they are.....he could potentially make the most sense.

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

He got to hire Shelly Duncan and Dave Duncan would have been the pitching coach if he wanted. He also hired Cairo and McEwing was a guy of his from way back.  

I still think the next manager is a place holder for Jirschele and Washington makes sense based on how fundamentally bad they are.....he could potentially make the most sense.

If the Sox were going to let the new guy pick his entire staff, the current staff would all be gone right now. They are not.

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

It can if they haven't learned from their mistake the first time

No it can’t. There’s literally no one on earth who would give the same combination of lack of preparation, ignorance, and arrogance, while also having the ability to get anything he wanted by having the owner in his back pocket. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Tony should never have been the Sox manager because of his DUIs, what about Ron Washington and cocaine. And wasn't he accused of sexual assault as well?

I was not familiar with this but yes I would hope they did not hire him for the latter. For the drug usage, as long as there have been no issues since his coaching career I don't see that holding back a hire.

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was not familiar with this but yes I would hope they did not hire him for the latter. For the drug usage, as long as there have been no issues since his coaching career I don't see that holding back a hire.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/ron-washington-texas-rangers-manager-affair-sexual-assault-allegations-wants-a-second-chance/xyscm4nbmvp61e1n43pebwoq9

https://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0317/Texas-Rangers-manager-Ron-Washington-admits-to-cocaine-use

The cocaine was first reported as a one time thing. Washington later admitted to using it during his playing career. 

• Like 1

If Washington or Bochy end up being the right fit after a true search and interviews of multiple candidates, I'd be okay with that.  With as dysfunctional this team is on the field, someone like Washington would be a good fit, especially with a younger manager-to-be as bench coach for a couple years.

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If Washington or Bochy end up being the right fit after a true search and interviews of multiple candidates, I'd be okay with that.  With as dysfunctional this team is on the field, someone like Washington would be a good fit, especially with a younger manager-to-be as bench coach for a couple years.

People said the same thing with Tony and Cairo, how’d that go?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Someone who doesn't put the Sox at a tactical disadvantage literally every game they play would be nice. Aim higher than Ron Washington.

It sucks though.  This is no longer a super attractive job.  It was perfect 2 years ago. Now, I dunno.  

I mean there’s only 30 of these positions so candidates can’t always be too picky,  but a guy like Bochy probably can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I'll go with the 70 yoa crackhead with bad manners. Gordo can wash his back in the club shower. Good fit. 

• Like 1

At the surface level Shildt seems like a pretty good candidate because of his record. But reading into it more I’m not so sure…apparently he was fired for the team being a “toxic environment” and TLR strongly supported him and said it was more like “philosophical differences”. Doesn’t make me feel great at all. Has to be analytic based I’m assuming? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/03/31/mike-shildt-cardinals-fired-heart-broken/7228358001/

“And, just a few days ago, there was an impromptu meeting behind home plate with Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa.

La Russa, who spent 16 years as the Cardinals manager with two World Series titles before returning to manage the Chicago White Sox, said he heard a comment from someone in the Cardinals’ organization that Shildt was fired because of a “toxic environment.’’

“That one frosted my ass,’’ La Russa said. “My comment was that if it was toxic, it must be in the front office. … I’m for the Cardinals. Everybody makes their own decision. But when you start talking about that, it might damage his chance to manage again for those that don’t know any better. He did a hell of a job.

“Philosophical differences? Ok. But toxic?

“He’s a special guy. That’s why it’s so important for his reputation to be intact and not smeared.’’

Mozeliak, when contacted, declined to publicly revisit the reasons for Shildt’s firing. He simply reiterated that there were philosophical differences, saying Shildt’s record and success as manager was inconsequential in the decision“

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Cocaine would certainly be one way to get the team to hustle. They'd go from 65-70% effort to 125%!

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Just fyi, most St. Louis fans hated Shildt. I am not sure about players and the clubhouse but the turnaround this year was pretty good with a new young manager

And then they failed to show up in the playoffs, just like Shildt's team. I don't want the guy to manage the Sox, but I also don't think he was the reason the Cardinals lost a close wild card game to one of the best teams in baseball. 

I'm not against an experienced manager but please not an oldhead who had been out of the game for years. 

Girardi fits the latter mold, he is not as old as TLR and should be more mentally fit than him but still he had been a TV commentator the last couple years before he was with the phillies this year.

Of course there have been cases recently where it worked (baker, showalter) but overall I think the risk is pretty high, just like it is with young rookie managers too who often struggle the first 1 or two seasons before getting better (like gabe kapler for example in philly before he was very successful in SF). 

This is an experienced team about at the mid point of its competitive window so I think ideal would be an experienced manager who is not super old, ideally a guy under 55 with 5+ years experience of managing at the mlb level. 

Counsell, Cash, Martinez, Hyde, Cora, Boone, Servais, Snitker, and Roberts are all typically regarded as the better managers in the game. Some of them are considered to be the very best.

They were all hired as first time managers (in the ML level).

If the Sox want to find a good manager, it’s probably better to go with a first time guy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

At the surface level Shildt seems like a pretty good candidate because of his record. But reading into it more I’m not so sure…apparently he was fired for the team being a “toxic environment” and TLR strongly supported him and said it was more like “philosophical differences”. Doesn’t make me feel great at all. Has to be analytic based I’m assuming? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/03/31/mike-shildt-cardinals-fired-heart-broken/7228358001/

“And, just a few days ago, there was an impromptu meeting behind home plate with Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa.

La Russa, who spent 16 years as the Cardinals manager with two World Series titles before returning to manage the Chicago White Sox, said he heard a comment from someone in the Cardinals’ organization that Shildt was fired because of a “toxic environment.’’

“That one frosted my ass,’’ La Russa said. “My comment was that if it was toxic, it must be in the front office. … I’m for the Cardinals. Everybody makes their own decision. But when you start talking about that, it might damage his chance to manage again for those that don’t know any better. He did a hell of a job.

“Philosophical differences? Ok. But toxic?

“He’s a special guy. That’s why it’s so important for his reputation to be intact and not smeared.’’

Mozeliak, when contacted, declined to publicly revisit the reasons for Shildt’s firing. He simply reiterated that there were philosophical differences, saying Shildt’s record and success as manager was inconsequential in the decision“

It mentions that Goldschmidt and Yadi reached out to him after he was fired. So if there was anything toxic, it didn't have the top players against him. I think he would be a great hire. He got results in St. Louis and kind of got that organization back on track.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic