Carlos Correa is a Twin - 6 yrs $200M

Sleepy Harold

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think Cohen's big mouth ruined that idea.  Sounds like Correa has a pretty clear grievence if Cohen doesn't come through.

I saw this mentioned earlier. How does Cohen’s statement legally affect this? (Honest question, in case you’re curious) 

edit: question for the board, not just SS2K

Edited by Sox72

I wonder if the concern is more around the fact that they might not be able to get the deal insured because of this history. It's why it might not of held up any deal with the Twins. This isn't a new injury/issue for Correa, so amazed that it's causing this type of hold up.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I wonder if the concern is more around the fact that they might not be able to get the deal insured because of this history. It's why it might not of held up any deal with the Twins. This isn't a new injury/issue for Correa, so amazed that it's causing this type of hold up.

It’s 100% a part of the equation.

3 hours ago, wegner said:

You've got to kinda feel for Scott Boras with these deals continuously falling through....damn doctors!!!

No pity for Boras. I don't trust that he didn't try to downplay or even cover-up the injury. The guy tried like hell to sell Sox and others a badly injured Comforto last year. I suppose if I were a player, I'd want him on my side but my guess is there will be more info surfacing re: Correa in the days ahead and Boras won't come off as pitiable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd be interested in knowing how the insurance companies are viewing the longer term contracts we are seeing.

I think everyone is assuming that during year 9-10-11 etc of these contracts it is unlikely the player will be worth the salary due to age and wear and tear. It may be better for the player to be seriously injured and have the insurance company pay the majority of the salary at that point.

So are insurance companies ever willing to insure the entirety of a 10-13 year contract on anyone? Or just players that have a 100% clean health at the time of signing? Or do they top out at 5-6 years and leave the remaining risk to the team?

42 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I'd be interested in knowing how the insurance companies are viewing the longer term contracts we are seeing.

I think everyone is assuming that during year 9-10-11 etc of these contracts it is unlikely the player will be worth the salary due to age and wear and tear. It may be better for the player to be seriously injured and have the insurance company pay the majority of the salary at that point.

So are insurance companies ever willing to insure the entirety of a 10-13 year contract on anyone? Or just players that have a 100% clean health at the time of signing? Or do they top out at 5-6 years and leave the remaining risk to the team?

Steve Phillps the former GM, was talking about this on MLBN the other day. He said there is no way to get insurance on a pre existing condition. Correa's contract, no matter where he signs, is uninsurable.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Steve Phillps the former GM, was talking about this on MLBN the other day. He said there is no way to get insurance on a pre existing condition. Correa's contract, no matter where he signs, is uninsurable.

Not to mention, insurance cost is tied to risk.  A policy like this is probably insanely expensive anyway, even if it was insurable.  The quants who do those things for a living are really good at making sure the insurance companies come out ahead on everything in the long run.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Did somebody say incentive based contract?

The-Shining-008.jpg?width=465&quality=85

• Haha 2

They also had a doctor on who said its' probable they see at least a little bit of arthritis. If anyone remembers the Boy Wonder, Robin Vetura's ankle injury, it was in spring training and gruesome. He came back and pllayed, and played really well for a while, but arthritis set in and he wound up retiring. it was so bad, he was using a cain. He had some surgery to relieve it.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

$30 million a year in dead spending would be disastrous to Minnesota.

It would if it was actually dead spending.  I obviously am not privy to Correa's medical records, but I think the chances he comes dead money anytime soon is remote.  

• Like 1

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Correa to...ah hell, who knows