Eloy to IL, low grade hamstring strain - retroactive to 4/4

raBBit

How sad is the organization overall, when everyone knows that the only suitable player at AAA if needed, is now up, 5 days into the season? Any other injuries, and we have absolutely nothing to replace them with.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think the concern about him not really running in between ABs as a DH and then having to run hard to first once every 45 minutes is legit. 

However, the probability of him getting hurt playing OF probably outweighs the risk of him pulling something because he's not warmed up properly. 

No, that is not the problem. Jose Abreu was DH many times and he never pulled his hamstrings. You always Jose staying loose on the bench with some type of movement or stretching and bending. As someone else pointed out, there is a treadmill or exercise bike in the locker room. He could spend a few minutes on those machines to stay loose. I'm sorry but Eloy is either lazy, dumb or undereducated, or all the above, in this area of how to take care of his body. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ok that was from a treadmill and that is really rare and a major fluke. However then have Eloy get on an exercise bike. You can't fall off that. The NFL and NBA use exercise bikes all the time to keep their players loose when not on the field or floor. 

How I’m looking at this:

The DH got injured, the Sox should be able to replicate his value and offensive production by smartly playing matchups. I like the idea of the Burger/Sheets platoon. Thank goodness it’s not anyone of real value

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flavum said:

If this season is more of the same with underperformance and the same old guys always getting hurt, they have my full blessing to absolutely dismantle the 40-man. But again, not Hahn.

Do posters actually think they will do another rebuild this year?

22 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

How I’m looking at this:

The DH got injured, the Sox should be able to replicate his value and offensive production by smartly playing matchups. I like the idea of the Burger/Sheets platoon. Thank goodness it’s not anyone of real value

I’m looking at it from Burger’s power and that Eloy will be back soon. I am going to be more concerned if they have the same injury issues as they did last year.

Just now, The Beast said:

Do posters actually think they will do another rebuild this year?

It would be an option but knowing this organization and their arrogance and the fact that they have little credibility with the fan base, I don't see how they could sell it.

I'm guessing they would do the opposite, if they felt they had any chance of saving the season, they would sell out the minor league system, double-down and hope for the best.

Again though hope is not a strategy. 

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I’m looking at it from Burger’s power and that Eloy will be back soon. I am going to be more concerned if they have the same injury issues as they did last year.

There are some positives. This is a mild strain. Burger and Sheets can platoon at DH so they won't play the field, and this probably puts an end to Pedro thinking Eloy in RF occasionally might not be so bad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I agree with you here, but Rick Hahn sold us on him as being a huge part of the "Core".   We are down to having him DH only, and being lucky to getting 120 games from him each season.   That's pathetic and so disappointing. 

Yeah, its disappointing.  Not sure I am at pathetic yet.  Some young studs just don't pan out as hoped whether it be injuries, talent or desire.  Eloy is still can be elite offensive player when he plays - he certainly was 2nd half of last year.  That has value.  We knew pretty early on he wasn't going to be a good defender, or a pinnacle of health.  The Sox still did absolutely unbelievable in that trade getting Cease and Eloy for a mid rotation (at best) SP.  

This is yet another disappointing bump in the road for Eloy.  But its (hopefully) a short term thing, and he can still play 120+.  If not, life goes on and thankfully Sox don't have a shortage of guys that can fill in at DH without being awful.  

14 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

The guy can't field, can't throw, can't run, and gets hurt constantly. Time to move on. 

He is guaranteed ~$25M over 23-24 (which is still a bargain).  So you may get your wish before too long, as Sox probably aren't picking up those options unless Eloy is pretty good the next 18 months. 

37 minutes ago, flavum said:

Hahn said Eloy was disappointed that they were erring on the side of caution. He thought it could just be a few days. Hahn said hopefully he’s back in 2 weeks. 

Where did you catch Hahn’s comments? Cannot seem to find. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It is the left hamstring, not the one that had surgery last season.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised anymore. Like a poster wrote the same issues that have plagued this team last year are appearing again...injuries, a bad bullpen, little depth and an inability to score runs.

if you believe in karma the baseball gods seem to be saying again, that until this team is sold they are going to dump on it.

I was told a story from a source that part of the reason Hahn reacted and said the things he did when it was brought up to him about Eloy being injury-prone was because the Cubs basically keep bringing it up around baseball and it makes Hahn look bad.

I don't know if the Cubs knew something about his body type of if they are just trying to take advantage of the situation.

Like I said we shouldn't be surprised anymore but it is damn frustrating.

Cubs bashing Eloy's injury history as Cease becomes the best pitcher in baseball
crying wojak mask Meme Generator - Imgflip

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It would be an option but knowing this organization and their arrogance and the fact that they have little credibility with the fan base, I don't see how they could sell it.

I'm guessing they would do the opposite, if they felt they had any chance of saving the season, they would sell out the minor league system, double-down and hope for the best.

Again though hope is not a strategy. 

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

The start of it (ie: trading Timmy) is quite possible if things go poorly

I don’t think they will get enough for the pieces they have to justify rebuilding again. A rebuild makes more sense when JR passes and the team as sold, but not with this owner and GM.