Lenyn Sosa Called Up // Anderson out 2-4 weeks

DirtySox

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I actually don't know who ChicagoBob is. Why do I follow this person? Did someone say they were credible once?

Well considering there is no such thing as the 15 day IL, I wouldn’t hold that guys reporting in high regard. Just piggybacking off others I’m sure. 

But with Fegan reporting Sosa’s arrival, it’s pretty obvious TA is headed to the IL. What a gut punch. 😔Theoretically possible it’s Yoan I guess, but sure doesn’t feel that way. 

Edited by ChiSox59

6 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Has to be for TA or Yoan.  Sucks that it’s not a Hanser or Elvis replacement.  I’m pretty much over both already. 

Probably TA goes on DL today. I expect Moncada to follow soon. Sheeez I guess its just the evolution of modern baseball. How many players play 150 games? 130? 120?

Will people be as pissed at TA for being injured as they are at Eloy?  The fact is, there is more than likely no strength guy or trainer that could keep these guys on the field. That is the problem with the Sox roster. They rely on too many guys who are injured a lot of the time. It's not their fault they are hurt. It isn't the training staff's either. Sometimes they just happen. And for some guys, they always happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Will people be as pissed at TA for being injured as they are at Eloy?  The fact is, there is more than likely no strength guy or trainer that could keep these guys on the field. That is the problem with the Sox roster. They rely on too many guys who are injured a lot of the time. It's not their fault they are hurt. It isn't the training staff's either. Sometimes they just happen. And for some guys, they always happen.

That was a contact injury for Timmy, not his fault they can’t do a rundown.  The Kelly, Eloy and Yoan stuff is a joke though.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

That was a contact injury for Timmy, not his fault they can’t do a rundown.  The Kelly, Eloy and Yoan stuff is a joke though.

It's really not a joke. It's players that are hurt all the time, and unfortunately, the Sox plan is fro these guys to remain fairly healthy. Does anyone really think Robert will play 145 games? Does anyone really think Kopech won't be on the IL eventually? Eloy got himself in great shape. People used to blast him for supposedly being fat. He isn't now. Still gets hurt. Kopech and Robert are 2 of the most physically fit MLB players, yet always hurt. Joe Kelly, they signed hurt and had appearance limitations in his contract. Of course he will get hurt more. 

What they need to do is somehow plug in some players into the core that can actually answer the bell. They had one in Abreu, but it was time to move on. They need guys who can play the season not hopefully 95 games.

As injured as Eloy has been, TA averages less than 10 games more per season since Eloy arrived.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Alberto is the main one at fault for throwing the ball too quickly and not running the baserunner almost all the way back to second base.

Every Little League coach would come to the exact same conclusion.   Just like Sheets needs to be kept as far away from the playing field (other than hitting) as possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's really not a joke. It's players that are hurt all the time, and unfortunately, the Sox plan is fro these guys to remain fairly healthy. Does anyone really think Robert will play 145 games? Does anyone really think Kopech won't be on the IL eventually? Eloy got himself in great shape. People used to blast him for supposedly being fat. He isn't now. Still gets hurt. Kopech and Robert are 2 of the most physically fit MLB players, yet always hurt. Joe Kelly, they signed hurt and had appearance limitations in his contract. Of course he will get hurt more. 

What they need to do is somehow plug in some players into the core that can actually answer the bell. They had one in Abreu, but it was time to move on. They need guys who can play the season not hopefully 95 games.

As injured as Eloy has been, TA averages less than 10 games more per season since Eloy arrived.

Elvis Andrus is currently fourth in MLB total games played, lol.

We need a combination of durability/athleticism AND youth…which is exactly what the Guardians are attempting to do across the field.

Pretty sure Jose Ramirez and Josh Bell are their two oldest players.  Everyone else in their baseball primes and most are significantly younger…Amed Rosario (FA/walk year) would be the third oldest.  

Fwiw, Zunino is just a one year plug and play type since he’s just holding that spot warm for Bo Naylor…soon to be yet another rookie on that roster to go with all the 1st through 3rd year guys out in that bullpen.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I keep getting confused about people bemoaning Tim's injury as evidence of being weak/soft/the team being pansies/whatever language you want to use.

A man pushed his knee the wrong way. That's going to hurt.

• Like 2

Just now, Quin said:

I keep getting confused about people bemoaning Tim's injury as evidence of being weak/soft/the team being pansies/whatever language you want to use.

Agreed, just bad luck.  Way different than injuring hamstring during your first AB of the game.

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I don't think it's a question about being weak or soft with any of them. It's just the fact that the same guys get hurt every year, multiple times, yet the Sox model continues to rely on them to be healthy. Some guys are just injury prone. Jose Abreu wears no padding and has been HBP 118 times in his career. He doesn't get DLd. It may be luck, it may be just the way it is. Some other guy if they got HBP 118 times with no padding might have missed a few seasons worth of games.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

I don't care about the short term injuries. We still have enough players especially with Robert playing to get enough runs. The real back breaker last year was the long term injuries. Lots of short term memories around here. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

For 10 days Hanser, Burger and Romy can hold down the infield if Tim or Moncada are out or day to day.

They need another outfielder.

This feels like Andrus or Hanser should be gone after this or the injury is much longer.

I think this injury underscores how important Elvis is, not visa versa.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well considering there is no such thing as the 15 day IL, I wouldn’t hold that guys reporting in high regard. Just piggybacking off others I’m sure. 

But with Fegan reporting Sosa’s arrival, it’s pretty obvious TA is headed to the IL. What a gut punch. 😔Theoretically possible it’s Yoan I guess, but sure doesn’t feel that way. 

Bob most definitely has sources.

So, genuinely curious, the minor league teams gotta play games too without overexposing their players. What do they do with the teams who lose players to being called up? How is their spot on the roster replaced? It's not like the NFL where teams have practice squads...

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

Trying to look at this with a glass half full perspective. Maybe Sosa will break out at the big league level now and create a problem we haven’t had on this team in at least since I can remember to where we have a good problem with the roster when Tim does come back and have to decide who is going to go on this team because Lenyn has forced his way onto the club. Wishful thinking, but he’s definitely got the talent to be able to push Romy or Sheets off the roster 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If you believe in such things it's like the baseball gods are saying until you get new ownership we're going to keep dumping all over you.

I couldn't agree more. I've mentioned this numerous times at nauseum here...whether we want to call it the baseball gods, bad karma, horrible owner, horrible front office, horrible scouting and development of players, especially pitchers, the Sox organization will always be in the baseball hell of mediocrity, as long as POS Reinsdorf is the owner of the Sox.

• Fire 1

Yoan has played:

149, 132, 52 (out of 60), 144, and 104 games in the seasons of his career. Last season was really the only time he missed a significant period and the amount of games he played would be the second best of Byron Buxton's life.

Here's my feeling on Yoan. He seems to be "banged up" frequently, which may affect his play, but he's usually on the field. I think this may relate to his personality and willingness to tell people when he's hurting. You see it when he gets hurt in the middle of games from collisions, foul balls off the body, etc. He at first looks really hurt, needs a  bunch of time to work it out, and eventually stays in the game. I suspect he is dealing with stuff that other guys are but he may be different from some other guys in terms of his willingness to keep the coaching staff up to date and maybe advocate for rest at times. The polar opposite in recent memory is Jose Abreu who basically always played, often had barely-discussed nagging injuries, and rarely showed outward signs of pain.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Yoan has played:

149, 132, 52 (out of 60), 144, and 104 games in the seasons of his career. Last season was really the only time he missed a significant period and the amount of games he played would be the second best of Byron Buxton's life.

Here's my feeling on Yoan. He seems to be "banged up" frequently, which may affect his play, but he's usually on the field. I think this may relate to his personality and willingness to tell people when he's hurting. You see it when he gets hurt in the middle of games from collisions, foul balls off the body, etc. He at first looks really hurt, needs a  bunch of time to work it out, and eventually stays in the game. I suspect he is dealing with stuff that other guys are but he may be different from some other guys in terms of his willingness to keep the coaching staff up to date and maybe advocate for rest at times. The polar opposite in recent memory is Jose Abreu who basically always played, often had barely-discussed nagging injuries, and rarely showed outward signs of pain.

I wouldn't have thought he had played that many games.  And I think that's because, as you mentioned, he always seems to be wincing and limping and showing signs of being hurt.  Either he's dramatic and is not in as much pain as he shows, or he plays hurt a lot.  I actually think it's both.  He definitely seems dramatic at times, especially when he takes a big swing or fouls a ball of his body.  But he plays hard, especially defensively, and probably is banged up at times.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

White Sox players have given the phrase ''injury prone'' a whole new meaning.

• bmags changed the title to Lenyn Sosa Called Up // Anderson out 2-4 weeks