The Pedro Hire

Tomtom

I’d just like to say this season isn’t Grifol’s fault. That isn’t to say he’s made some mistakes…he has. But he didn’t have a lot of his roster in spring training because of the WBC, which didn’t help him in Year 1. And the weak roster the stupid front office gave him, has put him in an impossible situation to succeed. He did a lot good things in his baseball career to get this job, and deserves better. Maybe he will prove to be a bad manager, but I think it’s far too early to declare his hiring a failure. 

Edited by flavum
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’d just like to say this season isn’t Grifol’s fault. That isn’t to say he’s made some mistakes…he has. But he didn’t have a lot of his roster in spring training because of the WBC, which didn’t help him in Year 1. And the weak roster the stupid front office gave him, has put him in an impossible situation to succeed. He did a lot good things in his baseball career to get this job, and deserves better. Maybe he will prove to be a bad manager, but I think it’s far too early to declare his hiring a failure. 

Dude made a bad career move taking the Sox gig. It will likely be his first and only manager job. 

• Like 3

JR had no problem saying Gene Lamont deserved to be fired after starting 11-20 in 1995 after being the first and only White Sox manager to lead his team to 2 division titles in a row. Obciously 1994 was a strike year with no playoffs, so an asterisk. If the White Sox really considered their roster to be title contenders, I'm sorry, Pedro has to be on the hot seat. 

21 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Dude made a bad career move taking the Sox gig. It will likely be his first and only manager job. 

It’s not like organizations were battling over him, heck the organization that he’s been with for over 10 years that had numerous coaching changes never picked him…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

It’s not like organizations were battling over him, heck the organization that he’s been with for over 10 years that had numerous coaching changes never picked him…

I mean, what do Terry Francona, Jim Leyland, and Dave Dombrowski have in common?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I mean, what do Terry Francona, Jim Leyland, and Dave Dombrowski have in common?

June 2, 1995 - With the Sox having blown four straight games to the Indians, and off to an 11-20 start, manager Gene Lamont was fired and replaced by abrasive, taciturn third base coach Terry Bevington. Bevington would turn out to be a disaster on the field and in the clubhouse and the long-term effects of the way Lamont was dismissed would cause his mentor and former Sox coach Jim Leyland to turn down overtures by owner Jerry Reinsdorf to take over after Bevington was removed before the start of the 1998 season. He’d be replaced by first time manager Jerry Manuel.

• Love 1

Just now, Quin said:

@Balta1701 do you have the list handy?

Last year I gave up. In many ways the bullpen use was better than in 2021, but when Leury was batting 3rd in the middle of April there was no point. 

I still don't know what the Hell was with that first 8 game losing streak in April. Sure Leury being put at the top of the order contributed, but that didn't make Anderson and Abreu and the rest of the infield seemingly forget how to field for a week, and that was at the same time as they played the Leury game. Without knowing what the Hell happened there, I just shrugged and said blah, this is a mess.

The other big one last year was the "2 strike walks" that were just so blatant.

I can still probably track down the playoff ones. That's seared into the brain.

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Can you blame Tony for last year and not blame Pedro for this? 

One important point that should have been understood this offseason - this team is way worse than the 2022 White Sox finished on paper, unless you had lots of guys suddenly break out.

Guys may not have contributed at the same level this year, but they lost Cueto, Abreu, and Harrison to free agency, they traded McGuire, they got unbelievably lucky contributions from Zavala and Andrus in terms of home run rates, and they had an excellent record in 1 run games, which I will even in part credit to effective bullpen usage by the manager if you want. If you count up WAR, the "Stuff that they will struggle to replace" was well over 10 wins!

By pythagorean record, they were a 3rd place team last year, they should have finished about 5 games under .500, and that was with all that ridiculous stuff. Feel free to credit the manager for that.

This team needed to replace all those guys, and the only people brought in from outside were Clevinger and Benintendi. All the rest of the ground had to be made up internally. This roster is missing all those pieces, and losing Hendriks with no replacement is the icing on the cake when you can argue he was the 3rd most important player on the White Sox last year. If you didn't get guys breaking out, there was a clear and easy path to a 70 win team or worse just by the roster. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

JR had no problem saying Gene Lamont deserved to be fired after starting 11-20 in 1995 after being the first and only White Sox manager to lead his team to 2 division titles in a row. Obciously 1994 was a strike year with no playoffs, so an asterisk. If the White Sox really considered their roster to be title contenders, I'm sorry, Pedro has to be on the hot seat. 

No chance.JR is still paying TLR for this season, he’s not going to fire Grifol and have to pay him on top of all of the other money he’s giving away 

On 4/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, Harry Chappas said:

There has been no philosophical shift in how they are playing the game from last year to this.

This is the big thing...

Im not sure how much longer i can watch these hack and slash... terrible at bats 

This garbage has been going on for years also.

This team plays a completely dumb brand of baseball... a  pitching staff that gives walks and and offense that refuses to take them.

It really is some of the dumbest chit ive ever seen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texsox said:

Can you blame Tony for last year and not blame Pedro for this? 

The bigger blame goes to whoever assembled this squad, and we all know who that is. Pedro has made an abysmal start but with the squad he has been given and the fixtures he has had so far, he was on to a loser anyway. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sin city sox fan said:

This team needs a manager that would hold players accountable and get them to play with emotion.  We had the opportunity to rehire Ozzie in the offseason and he would have been perfect.  Instead, we hired a younger clone of LaRussa (who is producing the same lackluster results)

JR please hire a guy who in his last gig led a team picked to win their division to a 69-93 record eleven years ago to be our next manager. Bonus points if he can piss off major sections of the fan base. 

Checking the usual list. You won't be bidding against anyone else, he is an ex player, and drinks a lot. 

14 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

Of course they can. That’s the narrative the last two years even though they won 93& 81 games with the same crew. Always blame Tony.

You nailed it. This year is actually evidence that Tony got the most of the ballclub the last two years. The team has completely imploded now that he is gone. 

14 hours ago, Quin said:

@Balta1701 do you have the list handy?

Let's see the almighty list! Please include the fan fiction where a different manager has the Sox beating the crap out of Houston back in October of 2021. 

I also hope there is a list going for Pedro. That list should be getting quite long already. Although I'm betting that despair is  settling in and such a list is just an exercise in futility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Do you really think a new manager with a 3-yr deal is getting canned after a month? I just don’t see that happening. That’s not a baseball thing. Certainly not a Reinsdorf thing.

His contract isn't guaranteed I'd imagine. Tell JR he can save a few bucks having TA as player manager.