Liam TJS

Tnetennba

The buyout is cheaper. Using 2033 money without interest to cover 2024 debt is nice. The only situation where I could see them taking the one year hit is the payroll will be low with all the young talent getting trotted out there. 

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so we're clear about this, he's apparently been pitching with this torn for pretty much his whole career. When it flared up last year, they were able to deal with the pain through rest. When they rushed him back this year with a limited spring training, apparently they triggered something different. 

Yep, that's the Sox incompetency at it's best!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just to point this out one more time, only 1 team in baseball does not recognize that 12 to 14 months is a very aggressive return schedule from TJS. The good news is that 14 months from now should be the end of the 2024 season, so the odds of them trying to rush him back are low. 

You're right and if this inept and dysfunctional org even thinks about rushing Liam back for the 2024 season, then the Sox org is not only stupid, but egregiously negligent. We are going to lose 95-100 games next year, so why in the hell would anyone want to rush him back for 2024. Oh yeah I forgot, we have the biggest joke front office in baseball. 

• Like 2

This should be a lesson that you don’t spend big money on RP. Unless you’re truly a CL/RP away from a title, it’s one of the worst uses of resources. The Sox were spending what like $35M+ on RP’s entering the season, that’s crazy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

This should be a lesson that you don’t spend big money on RP. Unless you’re truly a CL/RP away from a title, it’s one of the worst uses of resources. The Sox were spending what like $35M+ on RP’s entering the season, that’s crazy. 

Yep, $54M for 76 saves is a very steep price.

May have made sense if they also acquired legitimate MLB starters at RF, 2B and Catcher.

Grandal, Keuchel, Liam, Lynn and Benintendi were the five major acquisitions over the “multi championship contention window”. This gets you one AL Central Division win and no playoff success.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yep, $54M for 76 saves is a very steep price.

May have made sense if they also acquired legitimate MLB starters at RF, 2B and Catcher.

Kelly Bummer Ruiz Shaw Diekman Lopez Graveman Hendriks a lot higher than $35 million, factoring in buyouts too.

Edited by caulfield12

I am not in favor of them picking up the option.  But I am ok with them signing him to a two year deal where they pay little money in the first year but maybe something like $10 million or so in 2025.  I'm pretty sure he has to be on a team to keep his health care.  Given what he has meant to the organization and also what he is going through, I am ok with this.

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I am not in favor of them picking up the option.  But I am ok with them signing him to a two year deal where they pay little money in the first year but maybe something like $10 million or so in 2025.  I'm pretty sure he has to be on a team to keep his health care.  Given what he has meant to the organization and also what he is going through, I am ok with this.

Liam has been in the big leagues for 12 years now he may have already vested for complete retirement benefits through the MLBPA.

5 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Yeah, I'd be ok with that. Somehow re-work the contract where they have him 2 years (missing all of the first year), having him in 2025, and then paying some in the deferral for x amount of years later.

Edit: just saw Lip's post so nvm.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

On 8/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, 2Deep said:

In my opinion the Sox will not pick up the option but behind the scenes Jerry will do right by Liam and take care of him.

Jerry deserves all the vitriol but he does take care of his people to a fault.

He has already been taken care of. He signed a 3/54 deal and his 15m option will be paid out installments when it's declined.

Liam whatever happens to him from a health perspective should be fine financially.

Edited by wrathofhahn

I wouldn't blame the Sox for messing up something which has been an issue for a long time.  Liam was getting by walking a tightrope. If he pitches again, and I'm not sure that he will, it won't  be for the Sox.  Let's revisit in a year or so, more likely start of the 2025 season.  Without a stem cell transplant, which he didn't have, the lymphoma is still lurking as well. Even with one, for that matter.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, Joshua Strong said:

Agreed.

With that being said prior to his health scare he was one of better Hahns signings.

44 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Agreed.

With that being said prior to his health scare he was one of better Hahns signings.

That’s true. It was a good signing but if they signed a superstar it would look a whole lot better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I wouldn't blame the Sox for messing up something which has been an issue for a long time.  Liam was getting by walking a tightrope. If he pitches again, and I'm not sure that he will, it won't  be for the Sox.  Let's revisit in a year or so, more likely start of the 2025 season.  Without a stem cell transplant, which he didn't have, the lymphoma is still lurking as well. Even with one, for that matter.

They sure didn’t treat him like a guy walking an injury tightrope.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic