After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

My thoughts tonight…I wasn’t sure which thread so I just put it here.

The White Sox are and have been my favorite baseball team since ‘72.  At this moment the White Sox are also my least favorite baseball team.  Being a Sox fan is a strange experience. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

I'm really glad I've been paying so little attention to the White Sox that this thread was where I found out that Hahn and KW were fired. That news alone would've given me hope. Coupled with this, however, it reset me back to my standard position of just waiting for JR to die or sell the team before having any enthusiasm again.

As I'm thinking about this, it's a pretty sad reflection on what this franchise has been that I spent more money on tickets and merch as a broke college student (which was around 2005) than I have as now, when I am far less broke. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this experience, right?

I loved going to games during the Bill Veeck era, for fun at the old ballpark. Now, not so much.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The comments made during Garfien's podcast yesterday with McGuffy, Ozzie and Podsednik.

McGuffy: Kenny was never around when the Sox lost 7-8 in a row. He got in the way. Both had to be fired. One guy wanted Bryce Harper, the other wanted to sign him, his way. One guy wanted Manny Machado. The other guy wanted to sign him to a cheap ass contract. Development was bad, drafting was bad. It was a complete disgrace.

KW has been MIA for years.  He's too busy chasing 25 year old skirts.

9 hours ago, Tony said:

All I'll say is I've heard differently, on multiple occasions, from people I very much trust. 

Yeah a sleeping giant if you want job security but that can't happen because JR is 87 .He isn't all of a sudden going to say "Yeah I agree we're understaffed and behind the times in player development and I'll add another DSL team and stop trading Int'l money and let's spend some FA money on actual superstars.

JR may outspend the rest of the division on player payroll but way too many other teams are building from the ground up. The Orioles are currently better than any Sox team during the Championship window. All the Reds need is some pitching now. TB, the Braves and Houston made the most of their infrastructure but their systems have taken some hits lately. The Cubs bounced back pretty quickly and a top farm to boot. Even the Pirates are showing some life with their prospects. The Sox basically are a lame duck franchise right now.

13 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/parkins-spiegel-show/id396927404?i=1000625481791

This is a depressing depressing interview with Bob Nightengale.  Chris Getz with Dayton Moore reporting to him.  Chris Getz is the single decision maker.  

Hey, better than the other way around. There is a chance -- no matter how slim -- that Getz may be a decent GM.  We already know Dayton Moore suuuuuuuucks.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Hey, better than the other way around. There is a chance -- no matter how slim -- that Getz may be a decent GM.  We already know Dayton Moore suuuuuuuucks.

Agreed. Problem is he learned from two crappy systems but maybe he has fresh ideas and can overhaul things. Better than Rick or Dayton in charge. 

• Like 1

That Nightengale interview is one of the most depressing things I've ever heard as a White Sox fan.  I will say this, the press conference announcing Getz will be wild.  He's gonna have a tough first day. No one in the media thinks this is a good idea.  There will be zero honeymoon.

• Like 1

Two things

1. Chris Getz the person isn't the problem. Could he be good at the job? Maybe, but like most Jerry Reinsdorf talent searches...there was no process done. There wasn't a search done. They didn't do interviews. They fired Rick and Kenny, and clearly have their replacements in place

2. Answer honestly....would any other team in Major League Baseball have Chris Getz on their interview list for their open GM position? That's a problem to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No business man cares about where it's spent as long as the return is there. This notion that reinsdorf wouldn't trade 5 million in payroll for 2 million in an analytics department is such nonsense and classic Hahn excuse making. 

Yea giving JR way too much credit here. How much more proof do you need that JR doesn't care about the farm system? How many times do you need to see the Sox trade Int'l money ? It happened like 6 times already. Do they have a 2nd DSL team ? Have they ever developed a Dominican star player despite the DR being a hotbed of baseball talent for the whole time JR has been the owner ?

I mean there is stuff out there that JR doesn't give a rats ass about developing youth. When he had the chance he spent on Robert and an older Abreu and now it's like Cuban and Venezuela are their go to countries. Colas was a prime example of another older Cuban who almost had to produce right away and he did for 1 year in the minors but was woefully unprepared for MLB. Have the Sox recently developed any pitchers ? Has Vaughn reached his potential, how about Moncada and Eloy ? They can't draft, develop , keep anyone healthy and have sucked in trades and Free Agency. The time to build the infrastructure was before the rebuild and it's never happened in 40 years of ownership and now he's going to do it ?

The 2 are not mutually exclusive. JR and Hahn can both suck. If JR cared about spending the money according to anyone else's wishes besides his own he'd hire Click or someone from a winning organization and let them rebuild the infrastructure and get rid of the fat absorbing paychecks from years of getting too comfortable in their positions.

• Like 1

The worst part of the law article is the international section. For one it omits Robert/Abreu, and for two if JR read that his conclusion would be you shouldn’t spend on intl because it’s wasteful.

Their problem was they weren’t spending enough. That list of bonus failures would compare to most intl operations. But only the Sox are leaving millions in the budget each year unallocated. Every year. Just laziness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTB said:

My thoughts tonight…I wasn’t sure which thread so I just put it here.

The White Sox are and have been my favorite baseball team since ‘72.  At this moment the White Sox are also my least favorite baseball team.  Being a Sox fan is a strange experience. 

I absolutely hate this fucking garbage ass organisation.  I hate them with such a burning fire because I do love them and want them to be good.  But I already have one foot out the door and floating between apathy and disgust will make it hard to ever believe in them again.  When the new hire is formalised I hope everyone with a platform buries them and keeps piling on. JR can’t shuffle off soon enough. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Two things

1. Chris Getz the person isn't the problem. Could he be good at the job? Maybe, but like most Jerry Reinsdorf talent searches...there was no process done. There wasn't a search done. They didn't do interviews. They fired Rick and Kenny, and clearly have their replacements in place

2. Answer honestly....would any other team in Major League Baseball have Chris Getz on their interview list for their open GM position? That's a problem to me. 

I haven’t seen anyone note this yet and it’s now rather important so I’m going to say this.

If this does happen, that will be 3 times Reinsdorf has intervened to hire a white man who can’t actually stand in a competitive interview process.

Thats a pattern. Are we now specifically a team where we need to employ white men only in key positions and are terrified that someone might be better qualified who isn’t white so we do everything possible to ensure that doesn’t happen? Mandatory management quotas of white people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/parkins-spiegel-show/id396927404?i=1000625481791

This is a depressing depressing interview with Bob Nightengale.  Chris Getz with Dayton Moore reporting to him.  Chris Getz is the single decision maker.  

That doesn't make any sense. Why would Moore report to Getz? Moore was a GM before and Getz worked for him. These guys all have egos. Why would he leave a much better organization to report to someone that used to report to him in a tenuous situation with a known crappy owner who might be selling soon?

I could buy it more if Moore comes in as an advisor to Getz, to help him make the transition, but unless Texas doesn't plan to retain him as special advisor themselves I don't know why Moore would leave a better organization and chance at another World Series.

• Like 1

Does Jerry just call Boob to rant and rave like a senile 87 year old? I honestly don't understand what Jerry gains from telling him all this. Its not to read fanbase sentiment, because he has never considered that to begin with. Is it to read the cries of the fanbase?  

Edited by reiks12
  • Fire 1

59 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I haven’t seen anyone note this yet and it’s now rather important so I’m going to say this.

If this does happen, that will be 3 times Reinsdorf has intervened to hire a white man who can’t actually stand in a competitive interview process.

Thats a pattern. Are we now specifically a team where we need to employ white men only in key positions and are terrified that someone might be better qualified who isn’t white so we do everything possible to ensure that doesn’t happen? Mandatory management quotas of white people.

Tony La Russa's Schedule for Monday, August 28, 2023

• 6:00 AM - Interview Willie Harris for the GM Job.
  • 6:07 AM - Meet Jerry for Breakfast - Owners Box.

I hope Getz knows what he's doing. Sox need to fire everybody. Get better talent evaluators, minor league coaches. Jerry needs to do his part and spend some money (I know our payroll is OK lately). Sox need to add some MLB talent and that means signing a few good free agents.

For gawd sake get rid of Moncada somehow, any way possible. Get rid of Anderson and find a way to trade Benintendi. Dump the experiment with Sheets. Get rid of the entire bullpen and find some guys who can throw strikes and get people out in a relief role.

Cmon Getz, getz your act together and make some significant moves starting with the dumping of Moncada and Anderson!

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Getz, TLR, and who?

50 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Getz, TLR, and who?

Known Jerry management hires with little to no experience, dubious at best qualifications, and zero additional known legitimate candidates:

• General Manager - 1985 Hawk Harrelson - Played for the Carmines, White Sox announcer. Zero FO experience.
  • Manager - 2012 Robin Ventura - Played for the White Sox. Zero Coaching or Managerial Experience.
  • General Manager or EVP TBD - Chris Getz - Played baseball at Michigan, accumulated 1.4 MLB bWAR, seven year record of failure as Director of Player Development and Asst. GM with the White Sox.

Additional hires which were completely indefensible and without a formal interview process of other legitimate candidates:

• Manager - 1995 Terry Bevington
  • Manager -  2021 Tony La Russa

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea giving JR way too much credit here. How much more proof do you need that JR doesn't care about the farm system? How many times do you need to see the Sox trade Int'l money ? It happened like 6 times already. Do they have a 2nd DSL team ? Have they ever developed a Dominican star player despite the DR being a hotbed of baseball talent for the whole time JR has been the owner ?

I mean there is stuff out there that JR doesn't give a rats ass about developing youth. When he had the chance he spent on Robert and an older Abreu and now it's like Cuban and Venezuela are their go to countries. Colas was a prime example of another older Cuban who almost had to produce right away and he did for 1 year in the minors but was woefully unprepared for MLB. Have the Sox recently developed any pitchers ? Has Vaughn reached his potential, how about Moncada and Eloy ? They can't draft, develop , keep anyone healthy and have sucked in trades and Free Agency. The time to build the infrastructure was before the rebuild and it's never happened in 40 years of ownership and now he's going to do it ?

The 2 are not mutually exclusive. JR and Hahn can both suck. If JR cared about spending the money according to anyone else's wishes besides his own he'd hire Click or someone from a winning organization and let them rebuild the infrastructure and get rid of the fat absorbing paychecks from years of getting too comfortable in their positions.

Cali, I'm telling you that it doesn't matter what Jerry wants or thinks, he's a business man. If I can model and project an roi based on these investments that exceeds the roi under the current structure, Jerry would buy in. The job of management is to push and sell these ideas to make them viable and feasible in ownerships eyes. 

I deal with this daily. C-suit and BOD's are hesitant to make overhauls or change. My job is to assess exposure/liability, identify gaps, and overhaul systematic structures to realign a business or process in a way that is beneficial for the organization. The most common thing I hear is we tried this a few years ago or etc and it was shot down so we stopped/gave up. This breeds complacency which is what we saw with the Sox. It's not that people like Jerry refuse to change, it's that the people around them accept the status quo and that permeates onto anyone who comes in below those leaders. 

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP