Salvy Perez Trade Rumors

Chicago White Sox

26 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would wager a large amount of money on him being traded here.

Yep. And he honestly might be a positive influence for the clubhouse. But what is really worrisome to me is what the Sox will give up for him. No chance in hell Jerry takes on that contract, which leaves Getz with the only other option of trading valuable assets to get salary relief.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yep. And he honestly might be a positive influence for the clubhouse. But what is really worrisome to me is what the Sox will give up for him. No chance in hell Jerry takes on that contract, which leaves Getz with the only other option of trading valuable assets to get salary relief.

Like, "Hey guys I'm use to losing baseball. Losing 90 is part of baseball"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This has been broken record stuff, but like, I just don't see why this is that big of a deal? I don't see talent going out being impactful, I don't see the salary coming back to be the full amt. I don't think Salvy will make this team a contender, but who cares. If he was that big of a help to a young pitching staff, well we see the limits of that in KC.

Well, I guess I should backtrack. In deals the sox have telegraphed for a year plus, we have paid embarrassing sums.

But otherwise I don't think this is the worst thing we'll do this offseason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

This has been broken record stuff, but like, I just don't see why this is that big of a deal? I don't see talent going out being impactful, I don't see the salary coming back to be the full amt. I don't think Salvy will make this team a contender, but who cares. If he was that big of a help to a young pitching staff, well we see the limits of that in KC.

Well, I guess I should backtrack. In deals the sox have telegraphed for a year plus, we have paid embarrassing sums.

Nothing says getting more athletic than trading for Salvador Perez.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Nothing says getting more athletic than trading for Salvador Perez.

yeah, however we do have now a collection of young catchers that will need to make sequencing, pitcher management, and overall intangibles a part of their package if they want to be long term major leaguers so it's probably not the worst mentorship we've ever had. Lord knows we ain't teaching catching overall so maybe we do just have a player teacher.

5 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Pedro for Perez would be fair. I expect Jerry to go to his beloved Perez for White Sox International slot money maneuver. If the Sox are assuming the contract, I can’t see them giving up anything good beyond that.

Perhaps a Yoan for Perez deal is in the offing.

I actually think he would be a good fit on the team because he would cost nothing to acquire (maybe KC has to give up something else to offload the contract) and he gives Grifol (some) legitimacy. The question is why would you spend $20some million on Salvy when you could spend it on someone else? but is there anyone else worth spending on before 2026? IDK someone needs to play with Lee next year and it would be unwise to expect it to be Quero. Perez actually offers something the team desperately needs: vocal leadership and might have something else to offer to our two prospect catchers.

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pedro for Perez would be fair. I expect Jerry to go to his beloved Perez for White Sox International slot money maneuver. If the Sox are assuming the contract, I can’t see them giving up anything good beyond that.

Perhaps a Yoan for Perez deal is in the offing.

Might as well just name Perez the player/manager/catching coach and kill three birds with one stone...

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Or we take on the contract, and they give a prospect to shed the contract. 

Given what we have seen from that franchise, I find it doubtful that the Royals are going to be desperate to move payroll such that they would make a move like this. Their total salary this year is $93 million and a lot of that is currently on the IL or guys who were traded away so there might be insurance things that offset them. Their total committed payroll next year is about $40 million, and $10 million of that was to release Hunter Dozier. They will have to take a few million in costs for arbitration guys and a few million more to fill out their roster, but this is a team that should already be raking in money due to revenue sharing alone.

They really aren't in a position where they are desperate to move this contract to the point that they would give up talent to move it. Quite the opposite in fact, I'd expect them to spend some money to fill out their roster this offseason. Their payroll commitments are probably in the $55 million range depending on guys' arbitration numbers, and they've spent $70-$90 million each of the past few seasons with much higher totals the years coming off their playoff appearances.

Perez may be overpaid, but this is far from a situation where they obviously need to dump the contract so badly that we should expect them to throw in something of value with him. So far, the Royals have been a losing franchise, but they haven't stripped themselves down to a $30 million payroll like some like the As, Orioles, or Pirates. This guy is a long time representative of their organization, and I'm guessing fairly popular with the fans there although I don't know for sure that part...this would not be their style of move. Just this year, they brought back and probably overpaid one of their former players in Greinke just so that they had someone for their fans to cheer. They also had multiple teams at least showing interest in Perez at the trade deadline in 2023 including the White Sox, so they have reason to think that a large portion of his contract is movable if they decide they do want to cut costs in the future.

Maybe if you take on the majority of his contract they'd move him without a return in the trade, but I'm not sure about that, they might well demand an actual prospect for him despite his contract given their financial stability, his status as a long-term veteran, and the potential to have multiple teams showing interest in him at the trade deadline next year if they hold onto him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bmags said:

Because if we can all see it coming a mile away, it signals that nothing will change. In almost every other circumstance, when a GM and President are fired, it feels like a fresh start/new direction. The Sally Perez stuff has been talked about well before Hahn and Williams were let go, but even though both of them are gone, it STILL seems like a foregone conclusion he’ll be on this team in 2024. It’s just such a “White Sox move” and we all know now that means Jerry, not even Kenny and Rick. We also know how the Sox will view that move, putting a ton of weight and value into adding someone like Perez. I absolutely believe with all my heart Jerry believes he’ll add 10 wins to this team because of leadership.