MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

51 minutes ago, Quin said:

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.gif

It's going to take a lot of time to get there, but the Royals are getting a new stadium which may mean they possibly will commit to spending more than their annual MLB revenue sharing on payroll.

To me, the poll question comes down to:

• Will John Sherman build a legitimate FO and contending team with the new stadium?
  • Will a new non-Reinsdorf owner attempt to build a legitimate FO and contending team?

David Glass brought Royals payroll to 15th post WS, with $143M the max before shifting down to $97M in 2019 and then selling to John Sherman, a minority owner with the Guardians.

I don't see Jerry replacing Getz regardless of team performance as he won't have the will or energy to go through the traumatic experience of replacing his FO in his 90s or 100s.

The Tigers have the best chance to win a World Series out of the five AL Central based on the combination of their current ownership and front office. That said, would say more than 15 teams have a better chance outside of the AL Central.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

LOL. 0 shot the Rangers trade Wyatt Langford. That would be like the Orioles trading Jackson Holiday. Get that idea out of your heads now.

I doubt they will but championships make teams do stupid things. Look at the Cubs trading both Gleyber and Eloy for Chapman and Quintana.  

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There were 518 respondents to this MLB Trade Rumors Chat Poll Question (results at the 7:38 mark):

Who Is First To Win A World Series?

1. 56.2% Royals 291 Votes
  2. 43.8% White Sox 227 Votes

Normal people will look at that poll and think, "wow - we suck."

The Sox FO would look at that poll and think, "see? Hiring from the Royals' Front Office makes sense, and here's the evidence to prove it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I doubt they will but championships make teams do stupid things. Look at the Cubs trading both Gleyber and Eloy for Chapman and Quintana.  

Chapman helped win them a World Series and Eloy is nothing special is he?

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Chapman helped win them a World Series and Eloy is nothing special is he?

Eloy and Cease are definitely special talents. 

Just because the Sox fucked up the development of a guy who hit 31 HR in 122 games his rookie year doesn't mean he's not talented. With the Cubs he's probably an All-Star at this point. Granted, he was a SS in 2020, so he's probably an All-Star that year.

Also, he has no bearing on the Chapman trade, so beautiful strawman.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

Just because the Sox fucked up the development of a guy who hit 31 HR in 122 games his rookie year doesn't mean he's not talented. With the Cubs he's probably an All-Star at this point. Granted, he was a SS in 2020, so he's probably an All-Star that year.

I'm torn on Eloy being special. I know injuries are the wildcard with him. But his body of work suggests he's too brittle.

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

Boopa specifically mentioned Chapman in his comment that basically the Cubs made mistakes in getting him for Torres. 

Chapman helped win them a World Series. My comment was in response to him. 

3 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

One team was ending a 106 year curse. And Chapman at the time was arguably the best reliever in baseball. Your statement was for next season if the Rangers get a ring after this season. So if they win or not, they are not gonna trade one of the best prospects in the game for Dylan freakin Cease.

Eloy has loads of talent, but that talent hasn't been developed properly.

You can have a shitload of talent and be a shitty player. The big leagues are full of those players - whether due to a shitty attitude, coming up through a shitty system, or being struck down by bad luck... I would absolutely describe Eloy a being a "special talent" who hasn't been able to live up to that talent at the big league level, whether by his own doing or not.

On 10/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, Tony said:

We called this MONTHS ago. 

In fact, I thought the Sox were going to acquire Whit before this last season, even before Getz was in the picture at GM. 

I have no idea why anyone thinks a thing will change with Getz in charge. Gonna be the same old bullshit 

Re your last sentence, I tend to think that's true with JR still in charger. However. I'm going to wait to see what the 1st major player acquisition/decision the Sox make under Getz.

He should know the 1st thing he does will set a tone . If it has anything to do with Perez or Merrifield then Getz will be perceived as just as incompetent as the departing bone heads. That would be truly a kick in the nuts.

He's already sitting in that boat since he didn't fire Grifol. I don't believe JR when he talked about Getz having autonomy. It's laughable actually, but Grifol had to go and the fact that he isn't has Getz in our crosshairs.

Astound me Getz. Do something besides waste money on declining vets. Stick to that getting younger and more athletic statement. My body of work posting has wanted that for the last few off seasons and my track record of picking young players outside the organization has been pretty good.

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Eloy is 27 on OD. He's not young anymore and has been injured or bad since 2021. 

If Eloy goes elsewhere and busts out, we can rightfully blame awful development by the Sox. Until then, he's a classic underachiever, regardless of the "why." There's enough evidence over 4 seasons to make this conclusion.

There's been a boatload of them...not the first & certainly not the last.

On 10/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, JoeC said:

Eloy has loads of talent, but that talent hasn't been developed properly.

You can have a shitload of talent and be a shitty player. The big leagues are full of those players - whether due to a shitty attitude, coming up through a shitty system, or being struck down by bad luck... I would absolutely describe Eloy a being a "special talent" who hasn't been able to live up to that talent at the big league level, whether by his own doing or not.

image.jpeg

If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I could somehow adjust to the fall. Good times and riches and son of a bitches, I’ve seen more than I can recall.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, nothing remains quite the same. Through all of the islands and all of the highlands, if we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.

- Eloy Jimenez

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

the MLBTR write up on Eder today wasn't exactly promising. 

At least it wasn't based on new scouting. We just have to hope he dealt with fatigue in his first full year post TJS, and he recovers the stuff. I really did like him at time of acquisition, and if he can show what he did the few starts in July  he's really a an exciting arm.

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

the MLBTR write up on Eder today wasn't exactly promising. 

It’s unreal how quickly that trade and the Gonzalez draft pick turned awful.  I was for the Eder trade, fwiw, based solely on the last start before the deal.  Had no idea how bad his command was.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s unreal how quickly that trade and the Gonzalez draft pick turned awful.  I was for the Eder trade, fwiw, based solely on the last start before the deal.  Had no idea how bad his command was.

If you want to feel a little better, go check out the zone that @Autumn Dreamin posted from his last AFL start, where he had 4 Ks in 2.1 innings pitched.

It will then make you really upset that the zones AD posted were called walks.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

At least it wasn't based on new scouting. We just have to hope he dealt with fatigue in his first full year post TJS, and he recovers the stuff. I really did like him at time of acquisition, and if he can show what he did the few starts in July  he's really a an exciting arm.

Especially  because he was going to stay in house, it's really beyond ridiculous JR gave Rick and Kenny the deadline. It should have been Getz making the calls. Just more idiocy. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Especially  because he was going to stay in house, it's really beyond ridiculous JR gave Rick and Kenny the deadline. It should have been Getz making the calls. Just more idiocy. 

It's like letting James Ferentz pick your recruiting targets on offense...

Running a system fifteen years behind the rest of the country and about to be blown out of the water for a decade.

16 hours ago, fathom said:

How bad is this pick gonna look next year?

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

How bad is this pick gonna look next year?

He may recover a bit, I thought he'd tear up A ball before his issues crept up. But I wouldn't put him in my top ten sox prospects lol.

Maybe, as Nick Hostetler said, makeup will separate him though. I don't want to root for his failure, not his fault Rick Hahn sucks.

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Counterpoint: Getz had no experience working a trade deadline.

And the other 2 were so great at it they were fired. Getz will have to work his first deadline someime. If a change was warranted, and obviously it was, you can't let those dopes do more damage. JR fired them. You almost have to try to be incompetent enough for that to happen.

• Like 1