Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

2 hours ago, Highland said:

If the Sox are not trying to re-sign TA at a cheap price, this is a good move, and maybe the FO isn't as bad as thought. Tim needs to move on, and the FO can't worry if he has a good year somewhere else. Make the move, don't look back, and get this team on track.

Now you’ve only got roughly 8-10 remaining major moves/decisions they have to hit exactly right…like 2004-05.

And then all major prospects hitting the ground running without any setbacks…Vaughn being a 2+ fWAR 1B, etc.  Quero has to be 2-3 fWAR, Montgomery 4-5 fWAR, Brayan Ramos 1.5-2.0 fWAR, Schultz 3.0+ fWAR.  Eder or Nastrini has to stick in the rotation.  Crochet has to stay healthy/productive for once.  On and on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Sox will also "consider" signing anyone not named Ohtani Bruce...but that doesn't mean they will and probably won't. 

I’m sure they would consider signing Ohtani.  $10 million annual salary with the potential to earn $2 billion per year in unattainable incentives.  Then say “Welp, we tried.  Can’t blame us for trying.”

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know why, if the money is the same, TA would pick the White Sox for 2024. They told him what they think. They are going to suck, and best case scenario is he plays well enough to get traded midseason. Why would you want that? 

Yeah I don't see any path where TA or even Gio comes back next year.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I see a slight path for Gio, but JR would have to put his anti union feelings to rest. I think Gio would love to work with Katz. In fact, I think Flaherty may want that as well. 1 year contracts to see if they can make some cash. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The path to the Sox is the same for any other player in 95% of circumstances.  Offer the most money, get the player.  There are very few circumstances where the most after tax money doesn't win out. Of  course if all is the same or extremely close, a player may prefer destination A to destination B based on any number of things, but the "no FA wants to sign here" gets totally overplayed here. Most players will be happy to sign with the Sox if they are the high bidder. 

This post is NOT necessarily directed at you, Bob fwiw. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The path to the Sox is the same for any other player in 95% of circumstances.  Offer the most money, get the player.  There are very few circumstances where the most after tax money doesn't win out. Of  course if all is the same or extremely close, a player may prefer destination A to destination B based on any number of things, but the "no FA wants to sign here" gets totally overplayed here. Most players will be happy to sign with the Sox if they are the high bidder. 

For me, it's more that they were already here and if even half of the reports on the negative vibe of the clubhouse is true, I just don't see why either would want to come back (assuming offers were close). Giolito might as well go home to LA and work with their pitching to see if he can parlay that into a big deal next year.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Now you’ve only got roughly 8-10 remaining major moves/decisions they have to hit exactly right…like 2004-05.

And then all major prospects hitting the ground running without any setbacks…Vaughn being a 2+ fWAR 1B, etc.  Quero has to be 2-3 fWAR, Montgomery 4-5 fWAR, Brayan Ramos 1.5-2.0 fWAR, Schultz 3.0+ fWAR.  Eder or Nastrini has to stick in the rotation.  Crochet has to stay healthy/productive for once.  On and on.

That's a better collection of young players than the Sox had when they started the 2016 rebuild. 
Some of it is because they made a much more energetic reasoned  effort last July in peddling 2nd/3rd tier players  than they did during the rebuild when peddling 2nd/3rd tier players.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

On top of that, a large portion of teams have starting shortstops in place already and a good portion of those who don't, wouldn't want to make Tim that guy. In baseball terms, it's not hard at all to see how both sides could want a reunion.

Just now, Jake said:

On top of that, a large portion of teams have starting shortstops in place already and a good portion of those who don't, wouldn't want to make Tim that guy. In baseball terms, it's not hard at all to see how both sides could want a reunion.

Anything is possible maybe TA getting a slap in the face regarding other contract offers could result in a motivated player and less of a distraction on and off the field.

If that has a reasonable chance of happening then by all means bring him back. 

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic