Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

Jason is fantastic!  I wish him nothing but the best.

However, I'm not going to sit here and get myself up in a tizzy over this.  There were many dynamics  that  we don't know or understand as to why this happened.  

Best of luck to Jason and I hope he announces a bunch of White sox v tigers games where the Tigers get their ass kicked.

I will still watch the sox not matter who is the announcer.  There are no more Hawk Harrelson's out there.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Can't win with you guys.  

If they tell him he can't look for new deals they are taking advantage of him.  If they tell him he is free to pursue whatever his heart desires then they are sending messages that his job isn't safe.

Its one thing if its football or basketball games. It's another if its a baseball job.  As I stated before, JR refused to even consider letting KW and RH out of their contracts until Tony told him to fire  them.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Yeah, that's the point. 

But it means that if the Sox were a professional organization and not cheap, they would have an upper hand. 

This is just indicative of the White Sox underlying issues. Mainly: Cheap and unprofessional

• Getz and Grifol weren't hired because they were the best people for their jobs, it's because they were cheap yes men.
  • The manager interview process after 2020 was a joke.
  • We all know how cheap Jerry is.

We can go on and on, but Jason's departure is just another symptbeyom of Jerry being the underlying disease.

Jason benetti is making more than enough money to not have to change jobs to make the absolute most.

I don't see anyone saying they are going to be Tigers fans now, so the whole "just watching for Benetti" talk is silly.

What it is, and it's been said, but I'll reiterate, the straw on an already well-laden camel.

If there was a sports book where you could bet on the White Sox doing the worse thing in any scenario, you could make a bundle.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jason benetti is making more than enough money to not have to change jobs to make the absolute most.

That's why I think there is more to this story. No one seems to be noticing the White Sox encouraging him to pursue the job. It might be that Brooks has been butt hurt ever since Jason disagreed with Brooks' description of their negotiations. 

I didn't expect Benetti to be with the Sox for much longer.  However, I thought he'd end up on ESPN or some other national job.  Leaving to go to Detroit shows us what we already knew about the Sox organization.

I like Benetti a lot, and he was a big improvement over the last few years of Hawk.  But I watch baseball to watch baseball, not necessarily listen to the commentators.  As long as they put someone in there who is a decent play-by-play guy and who can get along with Stone, it'll be fine.  I like the idea of Mike Monaco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's why I think there is more to this story. No one seems to be noticing the White Sox encouraging him to pursue the job. It might be that Brooks has been butt hurt ever since Jason disagreed with Brooks' description of their negotiations. 

Doubtful it's more than money. It's a job, most people want to be paid what they're worth at work. He wanted the flexibility and top line dollars for the baseball role, which makes complete sense.

I just don't need to hear how it was his dream in life and he was being forced to leave it. You don't abandon dreams over contract dispute. 

Just to say this, there were times back in '20, '21 and '22 where I would have the Audio package to listen in to Sox games while walking my dog. I got pretty used to Kasper and DJ, but sometimes they'd give us access to a video stream that day and boy I immediately jumped over to Benetti and Stone because it was just a far better broadcast. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Updated info. Story said the relationship had soured:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/11/9/23953866/jason-benetti-leaves-white-sox-tv-booth-for-tigers-with-one-year-left-on-contract

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Here's why:

“Jason Benetti’s deal with the Sox is up, the Sox hold the option for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. He went to Fox to negotiate that deal with them after he was told to do it and then come back to the Sox and they’d work something out. Jason wanted to get the deal done with the Sox first and then go to Fox or ESPN or whoever. Turns out when he came back to the Sox and said that he needs 40 days off so he can do the Fox work he was told, ‘no, that’s not happening.’ So I don’t know what’s going to happen to him or Steve Stone.”

This was what a source told me last November as part of a story I did on the state of the Sox.

Incompetent, dysfunction and inept describe the organization from top to bottom.

But when Einhorn & Reinsdorf first bought the franchise Einhorn promised it would be a class organization!  :lol:

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Doubtful it's more than money. It's a job, most people want to be paid what they're worth at work. He wanted the flexibility and top line dollars for the baseball role, which makes complete sense.

I just don't need to hear how it was his dream in life and he was being forced to leave it. You don't abandon dreams over contract dispute. 

I mean, I left working at place I would have considered a dream workplace for me because of contract bullshit, so, yes, yes you do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Len likes living in Chicago. I believe Jason and during Summertime Stone Pony does as well.

WMVP also paid for Len and DJ's travel in 2021, versus the higher revenue generating CSN owned by Jerry, so he didn't face the same adversity broadcasting for two putrid Jerry Reinsdorf organizations. I could possibly see Len leaving if 90-100 + loss seasons remain the norm, as they were for most of the Decade of Hahn.

For those with access to out of town broadcasts, Jason will return to Comiskey Park II on Opening Day 2024.

Compare and contrast Jason's comments about the Detroit interview process and comments he had regarding dealing with Brooks Boyer.

https://www.wxyz.com/sports/detroit-tigers-announce-jason-benetti-as-new-tv-play-by-play-announcer

First Miguel Cabrera.

Now even the cheap/risk-averse Illitch gets his man and not the hyper competitive father who could never quite get that ring.

Shocking to Chicagoans more so than out of towners...

Remember when Rod Allen had the fight with his partner?  Mario Impemba?   Dysfunction reigned supreme previously.

Detroit was not a destination job except for Ernie Harwell and then the Verlander/Cabrera Show.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Remember when incredibly popular, nationally known Chance the Rapper designed these dope ass hats, then wanted to become a paid team ambassador instead of doing stuff for free and the org said naaaah

That didn't exactly make it into the recent documentary.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, I don't know why Jason would bolt to Detroit. He loves the Sox. Loves Steve. Something had to piss him off. When he was just starting, I thought he was trying to do a 2 hour comedy bit in 20 minutes. But he grew on me. This is another Sox loss.

Agree, I know people who knew him personally and he was a die hard Sox fan like us.  Surprising he went to another MLB team in the division, I would have thought he'd go national because of his side gigs.

4 hours ago, FT35 said:

IMO, this is great news.  Fun is great, but silly, goofy, fake, overly quirky, convincing everyone you’re the most “clever”—it all leads to disconnect and awkwardness and that gets old quick.  Our broadcasts were unwatchable care of the team, and “unlistenable” because of this guy!  We need someone real, identifiable and passionate to rebrand the Sox from the booth.  

I disagree, mainly because "real, identifiable and passionate" are all words I would use to describe Jason.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1